You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-09 10:07:55

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

[SOLVED] Choppy sound with Intel audio card

Ever since I bought this laptop and installed Arch, I have experienced this annoying choppiness.
What happens is that when I highlight other windows, under the minimum memory/cpu load the sound is truncated. I can't listen to music pleasantly on my laptop, and I can't stand it.

My laptop is a HP 530, with an integrated Intel audio card. This is the output from hwd -s:

Sound(a)   : 82801G ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller module: snd-hda-intel

I have 1Gb of RAM, and the processor doesn't seem very busy when the sound is truncated. This happens under any DE/WM - even in tty!

For what is worth, I had problems with the speakers not muting when the headphones were plugged in, and I have followed the method indicated here.

Thanks for your time.

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#2 2008-06-09 13:23:29

Gullible Jones

Re: [SOLVED] Choppy sound with Intel audio card

Auto is the default, it might not be resolving the model correctly (that's the case with my laptop).  Try model=hp.

If that doesn't work, you could try turning off power saving:

options snd-hda-intel power_save=0

#3 2008-06-09 13:46:17

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Choppy sound with Intel audio card

Thanks! That did the trick. I had put "options snd-hda-intel model=laptop", but using hp works much better.

Thank you!

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

Board footer