You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-09 13:17:37

Wittfella

Voice chat with psi --> Google chat

Hello all,

I have been trying to find a linux IM app that can use voice chat with Google Talk.  As far as I can tell, psi is supposed to support this.

I tried version 0.11 from pacman, which connects and everything but there does not seem to be any voice chat.

I used the AUR package and compiled the latest svn version, 0.12rc3 and it works ok, but I still can't find anything within the program to do with voice chatting.

I have been all over the psi wiki etc., and it all seems to suggest that voice chat is included and is working with google chat, but I sure can't find it.  Some info dates back to late 2005 with the libjingle branch, but I believe libjingle is now in the main program.

Can someone tell me if voice chat is included in psi, and if so maybe a hint on what might be going wrong for me.

Cheers,
Wittfella

#2 2008-06-09 14:09:58

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Voice chat with psi --> Google chat

Try Tapioca, I have tried it about one year ago or so, and it worked.

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#3 2008-06-09 16:54:01

Damnshock

Tapioca it's kind of outdated. Didn't work for me (at all)

My blog: blog.marcdeop.com
Jabber ID: damnshock@jabber.org

#4 2008-06-09 17:09:47

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Ah well, that means it hasn't improved since I have used it then...

Have you Syued today?

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#5 2008-06-10 05:12:26

Wittfella

Hello again,

Yeah I tried Tapioca a while back, and while the program worked, voice chat didn't.  I just tried it again and now the program from pacman doesn't run at all due to a failed library dependency, so...dead end.

I also tried Jabbin from AUR.  At first makepkg fails to configure because it can't find the qt3 enviroment.  I modified the configure script to point to "/opt/qt" and then configure works, but then fails with a bunch of compile errors...

As another thread pointed out, Jabbin is old and orphaned in AUR so I guess forget about it...dead end.

I played with psi again, and while looking in the source directory, I found two configure scripts, the regular "configure" and also a "configure-jingle" which looked promising.  I modified the PKGBUILD to run "configure-jingle" instead and it compiled fine. 

However when you run the psi program, there is still nothing to do with voice chat in there.  From the psi wiki, it states that voice support with google talk is confirmed working http://psi-im.org/wiki/Jingle_branch.

However if you look through the psi changelog up to version 0.12 http://svn.psi-im.org/psi/trunk/README, it does not mention jingle or voice support at all...very confusing.

So...does anyone know of any linux client that supports jabber voice chat (that works)?

#6 2008-06-10 17:04:27

noalwin

I don't know any client

Maybe you could try gizmo, its a SIP client but it seems to have a voice gateway to google talk. And it also works as a jabber client.

I compiled the jingle branch of Psi with voice support a lot of time ago, It worked, but by that time they where porting the code to qt4 (Psi 0.11) The voice support should work because it's unmantained. They seem to be waiting until the Jingle specifications reach a mature state.

I think that the same happens with Gajim.

Coccinella seems to have experimental support. But I haven't any google talk user now on my roster. edit: it's not compatible with google talk

Last edited by noalwin (2008-06-10 19:00:11)

#7 2008-06-10 18:24:47

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Ah, by the way, Gajim promises that by version 0.12 they will support audio and video (!). Considering that we are currently at version 0.11.4, hopefully they'll get there soon-ish.

Have you Syued today?

#8 2008-06-11 12:41:15

damjan

#9 2008-06-11 15:40:15

Zepp
Website

damjan wrote:

I hope pidgin gets voice/video, but I honestly wouldn't wait on that project as it has been supposedly getting it since before 2.0 and still nothing has happened. Even after they absorbed the gaim-vv project there has been nothing. Hopefully it just takes someone interested in it and some actual work will be done this summer and maybe make it into a release.

Kopete has voice support I believe.

#10 2008-06-11 18:57:22

venky80

kopete's jingle support vanished, I remember it had the support way back sometime.
Yes I hope the kid working on the summer project for pidgin gets it working, if he does it will be awesome.

Acer Aspire V5-573P Antergos KDE

#11 2008-06-16 03:14:05

Wittfella

I have been banging my head agaist this and am slowly getting somewhere now...

Psi does come with jingle, but its not enabled by default, because its still deemed 'experimental'.

To get the psi-svn AUR package to compile with voice chat support you have to do a number of things:

1.  Use the 'configure-jingle' with '--enable-jingle' option instead of the regular 'configure' script.

./configure-jingle --prefix=/usr --enable-jingle

You can either modify the PKGBUILD or do it all manually.

2.  You have to have a specific version of ortp installed otherwise it will not compile.  This happens to be ortp-0.7.1 but our pacman version is up to 0.14.0 or so.  Luckily you can find the sources for ortp-0.7.1 and it compiles and installs fine.

3.  Now the biggest problem.  When you try to compile you will get gazillions of errors.  It turns out they are quite simple, and are caused by the incompatability problem with gcc-4.3.  Most of the errors are solved by opening the offending header file and inserting.

#include <cstring>

So after all that, the good news is I have managed to create a working copy of psi with voice support, however:-

psi <--> google talk connects but there is no audio from either end

psi <--> psi voice chat seems to work fine

If anyone is interested I created packages for psi and ortp.  Let me know if you have any more success with google talk.

psi-jingle-1166-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz
ortp-0.7.1-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz

#12 2008-06-24 21:36:35

steve-e

finferflu wrote:

Ah, by the way, Gajim promises that by version 0.12 they will support audio and video (!). Considering that we are currently at version 0.11.4, hopefully they'll get there soon-ish.

Sorry, but there won't be jingle support in 0.12 :-/. Don't expect anything until the xeps have reached DRAFT state...

#13 2008-07-23 15:45:27

damjan

Wittfella wrote:

psi <--> google talk connects but there is no audio from either end

psi <--> psi voice chat seems to work fine

psi <--> google talk probably doesn't work since the gtalk client is not jingle compatible. It was released before the specs were drafted.

Anywa, good to hear you've succeded at the end, may I suggest you send the gcc patches to the psi devels.

#14 2008-11-18 10:36:45

ashyanbhog

Just thought i'll update folks interested in Gtlak - Linux client voice chat. You can do this with Empathy 2.24 and telepathy-gabble available in AUR.

#15 2009-11-06 06:50:37

cf8

btw latest gajim-hg  has jingle support now

Board footer