You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-09 23:52:54

violagirl23

Gnome power management -- easy way to unload usb modules?

I (thanks to the Thinkwiki and some experimentation) have discovered that suspend only works correctly if I first do modprobe -r uhci-hcd ehci-hcd to unload the USB modules. Then I can do suspend through the command line or through Gnome (via Fn-F4, etc.), but I have to reload the modules upon resume. Seeing as this *seems* to be a fairly common issue, is there any quirk I can implement to get Gnome to do this for me? I googled around but couldn't find anything. If I don't unload the USB modules first the computer wakes up from sleep immediately.

"You can't just ask to borrow somebody else's lampshade. It's AWKWARD!"

#2 2008-06-10 00:07:50

bender02

Re: Gnome power management -- easy way to unload usb modules?

Most suspend programs have a config file that allow you to specify which modules to load/unload. But you need to say what do you use for suspend...

EDIT: for instance, if you're using pm-utils, then see 'man pm-suspend', part about 'configuration variables'

Last edited by bender02 (2008-06-10 00:10:23)

#3 2008-06-10 00:26:11

wonder
Developer
Website

make a file in /etc/pm/config.d for e.g /etc/pm/config.d/modules and add:

SUSPEND_MODULES="some modules "

Last edited by wonder (2008-06-10 00:26:25)

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#4 2008-06-10 01:01:12

violagirl23

What is it possible to use for suspend? I genuinely have no idea, it just works. From the commandline, echo mem > /sys/power/state seems to work, and in Gnome, Fn-F4 works well. I DO have pm-utils installed, so that may indeed be what it is using, so I can give it a shot, but I never configured anything in particular.

I have hibernate-script installed and pm-utils installed, if that helps. Might be others installed if I better knew what to look for.

Edit: Adding that /etc/pm/config.d/config seemed to do the trick, thanks! Now I just have to work out all the kinks, like how *sometimes* the screen doesn't come back and I just have a white screen instead (but sometimes it DOES *shakes head*) and that when it reactivates the USB it finds my webcam and loads it and thus automatically loads the program Cheese every time I resume suspend. Little things like that. If anyone has any suggestions, I'll take them. I'm googling it right now. But at least suspend works right now. Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by violagirl23 (2008-06-10 01:25:49)

"You can't just ask to borrow somebody else's lampshade. It's AWKWARD!"

Board footer