You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-10 22:41:56

tnek

How do I use the km utility to get a working Swedish keyboard at inst?

Hi,

This is my initial post on this forum. I'm interested in archlinux as I find "the arch way" appealing, however I'm faced by a little problem first thing during the setup. It wasn't easy choosing between newbie corner and the installation forum, after consideration I picked the latter.

I want to install archlinux on my Acer Aspire 1642ZWLMi, which has a swedish keyboard layout. I want to be able to use the swedish characters åäö during and after the installation phase.

The installation CD suggests that I should run the km utility and pick my keyboard layout and a corresponding console font. How do I find information on which ones to choose?

I have tried some of the layouts with the prefix se- (there are four) but I don't know which console font that has the necessary characters. Even if I managed to pick the correct layout I might very well have chosen an incompatible console font to go with it.

Thanks for reading my post. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get!

#2 2008-06-11 06:49:57

INCSlayer
Website

Re: How do I use the km utility to get a working Swedish keyboard at inst?

well if you use se-lat6 you get a standard swedish keyboard i use lat9w-16 as consolefont and they seem to be working good together
i also use consolemap 8859_to_uni to go along with it

Last edited by INCSlayer (2008-06-11 06:50:26)

dovie andi se tovya sagain

#3 2008-06-11 21:15:29

tnek

Thanks for trying to help me. Though I had already tried the suggested combination of keyboard layout and console font using the km utility.

When I run the km utility first thing during install and choose 'se-lat6.map.gz' as keymap and 'lat9w-16.psfu.gz' as console font it still doesn't work. When I type åäöÅÄÖ on my keyboard åæøÅÆØ is displayed in the console. My search results are telling me that æ and ø are the danish (and some other languages) equivalent to ä and ö.

It is also worth giving emphasis to the fact that the km utility just lets me choose keyboard layout and console font. Which means I'm unable to set any consolemap.

If it's not possible to get swedish characters to work during the installation process I guess installating archlinux first and configuring the keyboard, console font and console mapping later is an option.

How did people from outside the US/UK perform their install? And more specifically in my case, people from Sweden?

All suggestions are welcome! I'm quite eager to try out archlinux. smile

Last edited by tnek (2008-06-11 21:25:35)

#4 2008-06-15 19:33:28

tnek

Could this be something I should report as a bug? Has anyone gotten km to work with a Swedish keyboard?

#5 2008-06-18 11:52:00

Fackamato

You can select the keymap and _skip_ the font selection. That's what I always do. Åäö works fine if you do that.

#6 2008-06-18 17:08:07

INCSlayer
Website

glad to be of help big_smile

dovie andi se tovya sagain

Board footer