You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-10 23:14:38

Shadowmeph

is it possible to install Arch while in Ubuntu?

this might seem like a stupid question but is it possible to install Arch while in Ubuntu? why I am asking is because I was readying this tut
"Arch Linux Installation Guide" at this site [urlhttp://www.my-guides.net/en/content/view/49/26/][/url]Which  gave me some info that a Noob like myself didn't realize,I knew that the swap can be common among different Linux distributions. but is it true that Arch ( or any Linux in general ) could share the same  common partition with other distributions (e.g. "/boot", "/home" etc.) if so then I have been going about installing Arch all the wrong ways. Now back to my question is it possible to use a program so that I could install Arch while I am on Ubuntu.

#2 2008-06-10 23:25:46

czar

Re: is it possible to install Arch while in Ubuntu?

you can share /home across distributions but i wouldn't recommend it. Think about it, your /home contains lots of configuration files for your various programs. Between distributions its possible that your running different versions of these programs and so they potentially require different .configs. If you have stuff on your ubuntu /home that you'd like to access in arch then of course you can mount it.  As for installing IN ubuntu, if you want some practice or something you can create a virtual box but I don't think this is what your looking for.  I'm not so sure what advantage you're looking for installing from within ubuntu. Say you could, you'd still be using the same text based installer, you'd just have ubuntu running in the background.

#3 2008-06-10 23:36:38

Shadowmeph

czar wrote:

you can share /home across distributions but i wouldn't recommend it. Think about it, your /home contains lots of configuration files for your various programs. Between distributions its possible that your running different versions of these programs and so they potentially require different .configs. If you have stuff on your ubuntu /home that you'd like to access in arch then of course you can mount it.  As for installing IN ubuntu, if you want some practice or something you can create a virtual box but I don't think this is what your looking for.  I'm not so sure what advantage you're looking for installing from within ubuntu. Say you could, you'd still be using the same text based installer, you'd just have ubuntu running in the background.

hmm I never thought of that. I just thought that I would be able to make a partition then mount the Arch disk on that partition and installing sort of remotely from Ubuntu . but what you are saying that if I were to do that then I wouyld always have ( while I was in Arch) a part of Ubuntu running in that background. hmm that wouldn't be good lol

#4 2008-06-10 23:56:19

Zer0

He's just saying that ubuntu would be running in the background during install not always wink

#5 2008-06-11 00:04:31

czar

Shadowmeph wrote:

hmm I never thought of that. I just thought that I would be able to make a partition then mount the Arch disk on that partition and installing sort of remotely from Ubuntu

What benefit do you see here, assuming that would be possible.

#6 2008-06-11 00:10:01

Allan
Pacman
Website

I think this is what you are looking for: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fas … nux_System

#7 2008-06-11 00:12:47

Shadowmeph

czar wrote:
Shadowmeph wrote:

hmm I never thought of that. I just thought that I would be able to make a partition then mount the Arch disk on that partition and installing sort of remotely from Ubuntu

What benefit do you see here, assuming that would be possible.

well if I had a problem and needed to check up on something using the net then I wouldn't have to leave the install in order to do that

#8 2008-06-11 00:22:41

czar

Shadowmeph wrote:

well if I had a problem and needed to check up on something using the net then I wouldn't have to leave the install in order to do that

ah good point, i take for granted having an extra comp on hand

#9 2008-06-11 01:20:01

jacko

Allan wrote:

I think this is what you are looking for: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fas … nux_System

I prefer this method over the wiki u posted.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … her_distro

This way, if u keep ubuntu installed and have issues with arch. U can always boot ubuntu and use the chroot, in this wiki guide, to also fix your arch install. Just remount the partitions u create while using the guide. For someone who is new, like I was when I started, this is the only way to go about doing it IMHO. At least u leave yourself with a backup workbench in a sense.

To be honest, when I first started using arch I copied my xorg.conf straight from ubuntu to arch. Which is exactly what this OP was trying to do. wink

Last edited by jacko (2008-06-11 01:23:25)

#10 2008-06-11 02:54:53

Shadowmeph

To be honest, when I first started using arch I copied my xorg.conf straight from ubuntu to arch. Which is exactly what this OP was trying to do. wink

that worked ? hmm I was afraid that wouldn't work .

#11 2008-06-11 13:35:03

jacko

X is distro independent. So unless ubuntu patched X to the point where u can't even use the same xorg.conf (which I don't believe is the case). Then xorg.conf will be the exact same for your hardware, no matter what linux distro you wanna use.

#12 2008-06-11 15:11:01

Ramses de Norre

jacko wrote:
Allan wrote:

I prefer this method over the wiki u posted.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … her_distro

I did my first arch install with that method, it's very easy and you have a usable system while installing.

Board footer