You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-11 00:59:00

Berticus

Improved CAPTCHA

So while I was registering and I got to the CAPTCHA, it asked for what this linux distribution.  Pretty simple, I tried putting Arch in, and that was wrong; tried putting Arch Linux, that was wrong; finally Archlinux got me through.  Why the heck is it so inflexible?  A bot would be able to know that this is archlinux since it was mentioned in the question, which almost defeats the purpose of a CAPTCHA.

Might I suggest having an Invisble CAPTCHA, Honeypot CAPTCHA, or some other captcha that's invisible exploiting a fault in how bots work instead of challenging it?

Also, when pressing the back button, it disables the Submit button...  So I had to reload the page.

#2 2008-06-11 12:43:43

T-u-N-i-X
Website

Re: Improved CAPTCHA

Are you talking about forum registration ? I see that the new Arch Linux page will be based on django... I've written a captcha class in python if someone is interested I can put it on the web..

Quis custodiet ipsos custodiet?

#3 2008-06-11 13:00:19

Berticus

forum and site have separate databases?  Why aren't they integrated?  I haven't tried signing onto the main site, but if the two aren't seamlessly integrated, then I would also like to suggest doing that.

#4 2008-06-11 13:56:36

T-u-N-i-X
Website

As far as I remember, I had to register for AUR and forum seperately but not sure if it's like that now...

Quis custodiet ipsos custodiet?

#5 2008-06-11 19:13:26

XFire

You have to register separately for the AUR and the Forums.

There is a difference between bleeding [edge] and haemorrhaging. - Allan

#6 2008-06-11 19:44:30

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

Berticus wrote:

forum and site have separate databases?

Yes

Why aren't they integrated?

Because no one wants to do the work.

I haven't tried signing onto the main site, but if the two aren't seamlessly integrated, then I would also like to suggest doing that.

Patches welcome.

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#7 2008-06-11 19:50:32

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

Berticus wrote:

So while I was registering and I got to the CAPTCHA, it asked for what this linux distribution.  Pretty simple, I tried putting Arch in, and that was wrong; tried putting Arch Linux, that was wrong; finally Archlinux got me through.  Why the heck is it so inflexible?  A bot would be able to know that this is archlinux since it was mentioned in the question, which almost defeats the purpose of a CAPTCHA.

Actually, that's the whole point of it.

Might I suggest having an Invisble CAPTCHA, Honeypot CAPTCHA, or some other captcha that's invisible exploiting a fault in how bots work instead of challenging it?

Did you even read those? The first link suggests that something exactly like what we're doing, forcing people to type "orange" on a blog, eliminates most spam. Why would a heavier solution be better?

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#8 2008-06-12 19:31:01

Berticus

But they aren't wrong answers...  In fact, read the home page compare and compare it with the registration page.  The CAPTCHA is incorrect, if you want to have something inflexible.  I understand one answer descreases the chances of a bot just guessing and getting it right.  But on the home page it says the linux distro is Arch Linux, not archlinux.  And on the registration page, you're informated that you're registering for archlinux forum.  In the strict form that you're doing, Arch Linux is the right answer, not archlinux.  Because archlinux would simply be the forum, not the linux distro.  Then again, you look at other pages and it just says Arch.  I think I'm still correct in a technical aspect.

I'll admit I didn't read the first one, got the link from the second post which talked about a CAPTCHA that doesn't require any input from the user.  Did you even read the second one?  It's not a heavier solution.  Honestly, I wouldn't mind the CAPTCHA, and wouldn't have brought up the subject, if it permitted Arch and Arch Linux and the Go Back button actually worked (bringing me back without enabling the Submit button is the same thing as not providing a Go Back button).  The only reason I brought it up was because I was talking about the CAPTCHA anyway.

#9 2008-06-13 00:23:17

carlocci

Well, everyone manages to register in the end and I only saw a couple of spam posts.
To me it looks like there is not enought evolutionary pressure to change this, doesn't it?

#10 2008-06-13 00:44:34

kensai
Website

I was thinking that we can implement a captcha that gives a calculus V university class problem for people to solve, if they solve it they are good enough to join our community. Opinions anyone? big_smile

Last edited by kensai (2008-06-13 00:44:43)

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

#11 2008-06-13 00:46:29

Allan
Pacman
Website

Isn't that the method on the xkcd forums?

#12 2008-06-13 01:09:54

kensai
Website

Allan wrote:

Isn't that the method on the xkcd forums?

Oh no they are still too simple with image CAPTCHA. My blog is starting with simple mathemathics, but then will be getting harder and harder, untin only Linus Torvalds can enter by writing the whole Linux kernel code as the code to pass the captcha. wink

#13 2008-06-13 01:21:53

Allan
Pacman
Website

I see a flaw in your plan.  You do realize that everybody has access to the kernel source code...

#14 2008-06-13 01:51:07

kensai
Website

Allan wrote:

I see a flaw in your plan.  You do realize that everybody has access to the kernel source code...

Oh, darn, you CAPTCHA me. lol

Well, in fact, to stay on topic, those CAPTCHA given by the author are interesting in fact.

#15 2008-06-13 02:09:12

Berticus

kensai wrote:

I was thinking that we can implement a captcha that gives a calculus V university class problem for people to solve, if they solve it they are good enough to join our community. Opinions anyone? big_smile

Calc 5?  There's only a calc 3...  Then you get into differential equations, linear algebra, after that it's all abstract like mathematical theory and fun stuff like that.

By the way kensai, Linus has only contributed like 2% of the kernel to date.  Unless you meant he has to write the original Linux kernel code.

#16 2008-06-13 12:50:28

carlocci

2co0ehh.png

big_smile

#17 2008-06-13 13:51:47

kensai
Website

Berticus wrote:

Calc 5?  There's only a calc 3...  Then you get into differential equations, linear algebra, after that it's all abstract like mathematical theory and fun stuff like that.

By the way kensai, Linus has only contributed like 2% of the kernel to date.  Unless you meant he has to write the original Linux kernel code.

Oh, man, then they are killers here in Puerto Rico, there are some universities that require some engineering students to take up to calc 5.

Well, 2% of the code is ok. tongue

#18 2008-06-13 14:20:00

Berticus

kensai wrote:

Oh, man, then they are killers here in Puerto Rico, there are some universities that require some engineering students to take up to calc 5

Either they've extended calc, or they've broken calc up into more and smaller pieces.  In effect, you would be going at a much slower pace.  I'm not only talking about engineering students, but mathematics majors as well.  Calc 3 is really the end of calculus...  Or maybe you have a calc 5 instead of differential equations?  I mean googling calc 5 seems to bring up topics we learnt in calc 2...

#19 2008-06-13 15:07:14

kensai
Website

Berticus wrote:

Either they've extended calc, or they've broken calc up into more and smaller pieces.  In effect, you would be going at a much slower pace.  I'm not only talking about engineering students, but mathematics majors as well.  Calc 3 is really the end of calculus...  Or maybe you have a calc 5 instead of differential equations?  I mean googling calc 5 seems to bring up topics we learnt in calc 2...

Either I missread and thought I saw calc 5 in the curriculum or they do cut it down into smaller pieces.

#20 2008-06-13 15:24:19

Allan
Pacman
Website

Thats nothing.  Here calc goes all the way up to 11!

#21 2008-06-13 15:31:09

kensai
Website

Allan wrote:

Thats nothing.  Here calc goes all the way up to 11!

Well, if you are not jocking with me... lol then I am right calc 5 is in the curriculum here. big_smile

Board footer