You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-08 20:21:04

punkrockguy318
Website

Firefox Won't Compile

I'm trying to compile firefox.  I did a srcpac -Sb mozilla-firefox, and the build fails.  Also, any idea's why the icons are crappy?  We have firebird icons and mozilla icons... Why not new ones?

Please post if it's compiled fine, or if it's not.  I want to know if it's just me or not.-

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#2 2004-06-08 20:32:54

punkrockguy318
Website

Re: Firefox Won't Compile

I downloaded the binary version of firefox from mozilla.org, and it loads faster then the arch package, and the icons are correct...

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#3 2004-06-08 20:57:39

jsutnoni

Yeah to tell ya the truth I have never gottin firefox off the repos to work very well at all. I tried doing srcpac -Sb mozilla-firefox and it also errors out on me.

-=JsutNoni=-

#4 2004-06-08 21:06:48

punkrockguy318
Website

Hmm... I hope I don't have to wait until 0.9...

#5 2004-06-09 18:45:07

Kihaji

Error messages are a good start to post, I have had no problems compiling firefox.

#6 2004-06-09 19:05:26

sarah31
Website

Kihaji wrote:

Error messages are a good start to post, I have had no problems compiling firefox.

really? personally i like using my telepathic abilities all i can.

tongue

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#7 2004-06-10 01:38:35

punkrockguy318
Website

sarah31 wrote:
Kihaji wrote:

really? personally i like using my telepathic abilities all i can.

tongue

:oops: here it is

make[3]: Entering directory `/var/abs/network/mozilla-firefox/src/mozilla/view/s                                                        rc'
nsViewManager.cpp
c++ -o nsViewManager.o -c -DOSTYPE="Linux2.6" -DOSARCH="Linux"  -I../../dist                                                        /include/xpcom -I../../dist/include/string -I../../dist/include/gfx -I../../dist                                                        /include/layout -I../../dist/include/content -I../../dist/include/widget -I../..                                                        /dist/include/dom -I../../dist/include/locale -I../../dist/include/pref -I../../                                                        dist/include/necko -I../../dist/include/view -I../../dist/include -I/var/abs/net                                                        work/mozilla-firefox/src/mozilla/dist/include/nspr     -I/usr/X11R6/include   -f                                                        PIC  -I/usr/X11R6/include -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -Wall -Wconversion -Wpointer                                                        -arith -Wcast-align -Woverloaded-virtual -Wsynth -Wno-ctor-dtor-privacy -Wno-lon                                                        g-long -march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe -fshort-wchar -pthread -pipe  -DNDEBUG -DTRIMME                                                        D -march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe  -I/usr/X11R6/include -DMOZILLA_CLIENT -include ../.                                                        ./mozilla-config.h -Wp,-MD,.deps/nsViewManager.pp nsViewManager.cpp
nsViewManager.cpp: In destructor `virtual nsViewManager::~nsViewManager()':
nsViewManager.cpp:465: warning: unused variable 'removed'
../../dist/include/gfx/nsRegion.h: In member function `PRBool nsViewManager::Can                                                        ScrollWithBitBlt(nsView*)':
../../dist/include/gfx/nsRegion.h:237: error: `nsRegion::nsRegion(const nsRegion                                                        &)' is private
nsViewManager.cpp:2882: error: within this context
../../dist/include/gfx/nsRegion.h: In member function `virtual nsresult nsViewMa                                                        nager::Display(nsIView*, nscoord, nscoord, const nsRect&)':
../../dist/include/gfx/nsRegion.h:237: error: `nsRegion::nsRegion(const nsRegion                                                        &)' is private
nsViewManager.cpp:3288: error: within this context
make[3]: *** [nsViewManager.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/abs/network/mozilla-firefox/src/mozilla/view/sr                                                        c'
make[2]: *** [libs] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/abs/network/mozilla-firefox/src/mozilla/view'
make[1]: *** [tier_9] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/abs/network/mozilla-firefox/src/mozilla'
make: *** [default] Error 2
==> ERROR: Build Failed.  Aborting...
Error: Failed to build "mozilla-firefox"

#8 2004-06-10 03:11:30

sarah31
Website

ok. a little more informative. i have a few questions now:

1. are you using default makepkg settings or are you using "march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe"? if the later have you tried using the default makepkg settings or at least trying -O2 instead of -O3?

2. arer you using x.org or xfree86? if the former then i would be bold as to say it could be issues  with x.org that is causing the problem as the error seems to be generated with respect to X libs (i think).

regardles if you want i can see what happens when i try and build this package with generic settings and xfree86.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#9 2004-06-10 03:52:13

sarah31
Website

hello ... got the same error and unfortunately not knowing c++ i am not to sure how to address the error. perhaps someone else can?

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#10 2004-06-10 11:06:59

punkrockguy318
Website

I'm using -march=pentium4 -O3, and x.org.  Since I can't get it to compile, I'm just using the binary version of firefox .9rc.  It's nice.

#11 2004-06-10 13:48:34

kpiche
Forum Fellow
Website

The error complains that a function is private so I moved it to the public section with this patch:

--- dist/include/gfx/nsRegion.h 2003-03-24 21:57:42.000000000 -0500
+++ dist/include/gfx/nsRegion.h.new     2004-06-10 09:37:18.000000000 -0400
@@ -189,6 +189,7 @@
   PRBool IsComplex () const { return mRectCount > 1; }
   PRBool IsEqual (const nsRegion& aRegion) const;
   PRUint32 GetNumRects () const { return mRectCount; }
+  nsRegion (const nsRegion& aRegion);       // Prevent copying of regions

private:
@@ -234,7 +235,6 @@
   void MoveInto (nsRegion& aDestRegion)
   {    MoveInto (aDestRegion, mRectListHead.next);  }

-  nsRegion (const nsRegion& aRegion);       // Prevent copying of regions
   nsRegion& operator = (const nsRegion& aRegion);
 };

It compiles and is syntactically correct.  It may change behaviour (but I doubt it) and may not be what the developers intended.  Probably a gcc3.4 breakage and hopefully resolved in the next release.

Good luck!   smile

#12 2004-06-10 15:40:45

sarah31
Website

kpiche wrote:

The error complains that a function is private so I moved it to the public section with this patch:

--- dist/include/gfx/nsRegion.h 2003-03-24 21:57:42.000000000 -0500
+++ dist/include/gfx/nsRegion.h.new     2004-06-10 09:37:18.000000000 -0400
@@ -189,6 +189,7 @@
   PRBool IsComplex () const { return mRectCount > 1; }
   PRBool IsEqual (const nsRegion& aRegion) const;
   PRUint32 GetNumRects () const { return mRectCount; }
+  nsRegion (const nsRegion& aRegion);       // Prevent copying of regions

private:
@@ -234,7 +235,6 @@
   void MoveInto (nsRegion& aDestRegion)
   {    MoveInto (aDestRegion, mRectListHead.next);  }

-  nsRegion (const nsRegion& aRegion);       // Prevent copying of regions
   nsRegion& operator = (const nsRegion& aRegion);
 };

It compiles and is syntactically correct.  It may change behaviour (but I doubt it) and may not be what the developers intended.  Probably a gcc3.4 breakage and hopefully resolved in the next release.

Good luck!   smile

i suggest submitting your patch to the maintainer of firefox since all existing builds should theoretically work.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#13 2004-06-10 17:22:41

kpiche
Forum Fellow
Website

Good idea.  Are you suggesting a direct email or bug report?

#14 2004-06-10 18:00:23

sarah31
Website

probably a direct email would be best that way it saves listing the bug then the mailer sending the bug notification to the maintainer and the maitainers responding. since you have a patch it is a few simple tweaks and then a new package could be up by the end of the day.

btw thank you for taking the time to patch this. i know the maintainer will appreciate it.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer