You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-11 22:44:54

nocain

[SOLVED]ABS rsync problem

Hello All I know that this has been mentioned before but it seemed to have been ignored. see http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=47192 member torin_dan's post

Basically since ABS has moved to use rsync instead of cvsup I can not use ABS I get the following

==> Starting ABS sync...
rsync: failed to connect to rsync.archlinux.org: Connection timed out (110)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(122) [receiver=3.0.2]

The problem is that rsync uses port 873 which is explicitly blocked where as cvsup uses port 5999 which is allowed as highport on the firewall is allowed.

Basically I am at work where we are allowed to do whatever we want with our desktops however deviating from the standard of Windows Vista(YUCK) means no support what so ever and asking them to open a port to the internal network is not going to happen. I need ABS as I use a lot of custom packages.

Anyway I want to know if there is any type of workaround for this, one in the works etc... or if I'm just screwed and one of the key points of why I use this distro is gone... Not a big deal for personal use at home but at work I would have to ditch it on my system and move back to slack

UPDATE

was able to do a work around using ssh with the information found here http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-65 … 793afe76cb

UPDATE
Last post by me in this should contain all steps needed to work around this issue

Last edited by nocain (2009-06-02 23:47:46)

#2 2008-10-08 15:59:11

tut

Re: [SOLVED]ABS rsync problem

was able to do a work around using ssh with the information found here http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-65 … 793afe76cb

Hello,

I'm having the same troubles with rsync to the server - could you post your solution more detailed? I read the gentoo-page but where exactely do I have to place the workaround with the ssh-tunnel? Which files do I have to edit?

#3 2008-10-21 15:35:51

hughesco

Had the same issue.  The solution posted is when your behind a firewall you have no control over.

For me it was as simple as allowing outbound for destination port 873 on my firewall and all is well.

-Jeff

Last edited by hughesco (2008-10-21 15:38:24)

If I focus on the problem the problem gets bigger,
If I focus on the answer the answer gets bigger.

#4 2009-01-12 17:09:32

KaoDome

@nocain: Can you be more specific please? I have the same problem (the network I'm using has the rsync port closed) and I can't establish the tunnel, it keeps asking me for a password:

ssh -L 4040:rsync.archlinux.org:873 rsync.archlinux.org
kaodome@rsync.archlinux.org's password:

Last edited by KaoDome (2009-01-12 17:12:40)

#5 2009-06-02 23:46:46

nocain

sorry for pulling this back up, but I don't know if those that were trying the workaround and having problems ever got it fixed...

Basically what I am doing is when I am at work I ssh into my home box forwarding port 873 to my works computer local port 873 in order to update abs or any other item that I wish to use rsync with.

Note, the commands have to be run as root or with sudo as 873 is a privileged port and only allowed to be forwarded with root privileges. I haven't looked into seeing if I can modify abs to use a port for the rsync connection.

Hopefully this clears up any remaining questions

from the top:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------
On the box that you will be using for the proxy
------------------
open /etc/ssh/ssh_config
Ensure that you have ForwardAgent Yes present and uncommented

---------------------
On the box stuck behind the firewall
---------------------
open /etc/abs.conf 
modify the line SYNCSERVER="rsync.archlinux.org" to SYNCSERVER="127.0.0.1"

open /etc/ssh/ssh_config
Ensure that you have ForwardAgent Yes present and uncommented

execute the below line and login where proxy is the remote box you will be using as the proxy and username is the account you will be using on the proxy
sudo ssh -L 873:rsync.archlinux.org:873 username@proxy

in new terminal execute the following
sudo abs
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board footer