You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-12 07:08:49

dr_te_z

Does my plan have a change to work?

At home I've got a laptop with Arch, at the office I'm convicted to XP machines... however, 1 of them could be rebuilt to dual-boot with Arch.
At the office I've got limited internet access so the challange will be to keep my new dual-boot-Arch up-to-date.

I'm wondering: is it possible to put the required files from my laptop on a usb-disk and take that to the office. Then upgrade the 2nd-Arch fed with the files on the usb-disk instead of internet? I realize that the 2nd-Arch must be a subset of the 1st_Arch. I cannot install/upgrade packages which on the 2nd which are not already installed on the 1st.
But besides that: can it be done? Is there a nice "howto" already out there?

Somewhere between "too small" and "too large" lies the size that is just right.
- Scott Hayes

#2 2008-06-12 07:21:38

Stythys
Website

Re: Does my plan have a change to work?

you could always just copy the needed packages from /var/cache/pacman

[home page] -- [code / configs]

"Once you go Arch, you must remain there for life or else Allan will track you down and break you."
-- Bregol

#3 2008-06-12 07:47:00

Allan
Pacman
Website

As Stythys said, copying your /var/cache/pacman from your home computer to your office would work if you use mostly the same programs on both computers.

Otherwise, you can use "pacman -Sup" to print the uris of the files you need to download.

#4 2008-06-12 08:13:12

Stythys
Website

ah right! forgot about the -Sup =P

[home page] -- [code / configs]

"Once you go Arch, you must remain there for life or else Allan will track you down and break you."
-- Bregol

Board footer