You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-13 01:43:27

smcsw2000

naming new hdd patrtitions

I am using arch duke 2007-05. I have installed a second 160 gig hdd. This changed the first drive with boot and home from sda to sdb. I want to name the partitions of the new drive to utilize it for storage, networking my home with home/group and a backup for important files. how do I name the partitions so as to find them in the directory/ tree? I tried naming sda2 home/group in fstab but when I booted up I got sda2 /home/group directory not found. Following is the fstab:
#
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>        <dir>         <type>    <options>          <dump> <pass>
none                   /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0
none                   /dev/shm      tmpfs     defaults            0      0

/dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom   iso9660   ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
/dev/dvd /mnt/dvd   udf   ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
/dev/sdb1 /boot ext2 defaults 0 1
/dev/sdb2 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sdb3 / ext3 defaults 0 1
/dev/sdb4 /home ext3 defaults 0 1
/dev/sda1 / ext2 defaults 0 1
/dev/sda2 /home/group linux defaults 0 1
/dev/sda3  reiserfs defaults 0 1
/dev/sdc1 /mnt/usb auto noauto,users 0 0
/dev/sdd1 /mnt/usb auto noauto,users 0 0

When I booted up with the rescue disk I checked the partitions and the following is the info from that
sda1  nc  primary  linux ext2
sda2  primary  linux
sda3  primary  linux reiserfs
sdb1  boot  nc  primary  linux ext2
sdb2  primary  linux swap/ solaris
sdb3  primary  linux ext3
sdb4  primary  linux ext3
I could probably do it from the rescue disk, but I would erase all the data on the hdd and I really don't want to do that.

#2 2008-06-13 02:17:27

Berticus

Re: naming new hdd patrtitions

Wow...  That's quite icky.  Why didn't you use a LVM (Logical Volume Manager)?  Then all you would have to do is add the physical volume to the logical volume, then extend the /home partition or whatever from the logical volume.

Anyway, I think you need to mkdir /home/group.  Why do you have two partitions mounted as root in fstab?  And what's with /dev/sda3?

#3 2008-06-14 03:32:14

smcsw2000

I was trying to copy fstab example using the information from the partitions of hdd (sda). sda3 had no directory and the type of partition was reiserfs. sda1 had no directory . Looking at Logical Volume Manager, it seems I have to start over with loading then installing arch. The last time I tried this my data was wiped and I had to start all over installing programs and backup data and I am still not caught up to where I was.

#4 2008-06-14 04:58:47

kishd

Using knoppix or another livecd you could boot the computer and use tune2fs -L volume-lable-here to label each partition  and then use this to boot. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Per … ice_naming

---for there is nothing either good or bad, but only thinking makes it so....
Hamlet, W Shakespeare

Board footer