You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-15 06:09:22

Naido

wLAN is working like charm, but ...

I have to do many things manually. It's amazing how much I've already learned about GNU/Linux while using Archlinux only for some days. Though, now I'm kinda stuck. smile

After playing around for a while with ndiswrapper and wpa_supplicant my wLAN is finally working. And it's working absolutely perfect. Even the WPA2-Encryption is no problem. But, well, as I mentioned above I have to do many things manually after a reboot and I wanted to ask, whether I can combine those in a single file, for example.

This is what I do:

1) Start wpa_supplicant:

sudo wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -D wext -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

2) Start wpa_gui:

sudo wpa_gui

wpa_gui already lists the necessary information about my network. I hit the 'connect' button and after some seconds I get a "Connection completed".

3) Using dhcpcd:

sudo dhcpcd wlan0

wpa_gui now lists a proper IP in the connection window but I can't use my network yet, I think that this could be some nameserver-problem? Well ...

4) this helps.

sudo /etc/rc.d/network restart

Yay! Everything's working now. smile

I'm really already satisfied with my wLAN-working, but as I want to use this laptop primary for some quick surfing and writing it would be nice if I could automate the above steps.

('funny' thing: I was playing with a much more "user-friendly" distribution (as they call themselves) before and I was absolutely not able to get my wLAN to work, because so many different programs and configs tried to interfere with my custom configuration)

Ah, and sorry for my bad english, I hope I was able to explain my problem somehow in a proper way.

Last edited by Naido (2008-06-15 06:11:13)

#2 2008-06-15 07:57:16

wonder
Developer
Website

Re: wLAN is working like charm, but ...

you can use networkmanager or wicd. both have tutorials on wiki.

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#3 2008-06-15 10:39:48

xdeusx

there is also an awesome slim tool called netcfg
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Netcfg

#4 2008-06-15 11:53:16

Naido

Hi! Thanks for the suggestions.

@wicd: I'm going to give it a try, this one I somehow missed, thanks. smile

@netcfg: I'm currently somehow not able to see through the configuration. For example I'm not quite sure where to provide wpa_supplicant information and how wpa_supplicant and netcfg interact with each other. Thanks for the suggestion. smile

Board footer