You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-15 10:05:33

Squallcw

Why are my ide drives known as "sd"-Drive?

Hello,

on Slackware and on a few other distributions, my ide hard drives are known as sda, sdb etc., but I don't have SATA or SCSI drives. I read, this is because the ide drivers are included in the SATA drivers, is this correct?
But why I access on my second hd (sdb)? I want to install there...

What can I do now? sad
Thanks

#2 2008-06-15 13:03:10

ThomasAdam

Re: Why are my ide drives known as "sd"-Drive?

Squallcw wrote:

Hello,

on Slackware and on a few other distributions, my ide hard drives are known as sda, sdb etc., but I don't have SATA or SCSI drives. I read, this is because the ide drivers are included in the SATA drivers, is this correct?
But why I access on my second hd (sdb)? I want to install there...

What can I do now? sad
Thanks

I am not sure what you're asking -- to explain why you're seeing your IDE drives show up as /dev/sd? is due to the fact that some recent motherboards will default to using libata in the kernel rather than legacy IDE.  But you're asking what question, exactly?

-- Thomas Adam

#3 2008-06-15 13:13:27

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: Why are my ide drives known as "sd"-Drive?

Just about all the IDE drivers were rewritten and ported over to a brand new architecture, libATA... and libATA just happens to use sd instead of hd.

Eventually all the distros will have sd as the main and hd will be a thing of the past (unless you use the legacy drivers as they're still included).

Last edited by iphitus (2008-06-15 13:14:26)

Board footer