You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-15 16:49:13

violagirl23

Equivalent of program called SUPER @ exist?

I have searched high and low and have yet to come across a replacement for one of my indispensable Windows programs: SUPER. It is a video encoding program, but it is really just a frontend for ffmpeg and MEncoder (yes, both of them together), so I can see no good reason why no similar program couldn't exist for Linux. I love the commandline, but video encoding is one of those things I just cannot do on it. SUPER has drop-down menus and checkbox options for just about anything, and it works really well. I tried booting into XP on VirtualBox, but SUPER would not run on it (I WANT to use VMWare but am still unsuccessful at getting it working). I want to find a good frontend for ffmpeg/MEncoder for Linux, and can't (both together like SUPER does is neat since it gives you the most options, but still... even just one would be better than nothing). I keep searching but can't find a good one with drop-down menus and checkboxes. I found one program, but it was just feeding it commands and having it save them for you so you could use them over and over again. I desire a true front-end with drop-down menus and checkboxes for all the options, but does such a program even exist for Linux?
If anyone wants to try SUPER so they can get an idea of what I am talking about, here is the download link: http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
It's actually pretty hard to download, because the links are like a maze. First you click on "Start Downloading SUPER © right now and discover this fully featured Multimedia Freeware." at the very bottom of the page. Then on the next page you click on "SUPER © is a FREE Multimedia software to download and use" which is right under the box with red text near the top of the page. Then you go to the bottom of the next page and look for something like "Download SUPER ©  setup file" and click on that, and it starts to download it. I'm not sure why they make that quite so complicated, honestly.
Anway, does anyone know of such a good front-end equivalent for Linux? I REALLY need one. sad

"You can't just ask to borrow somebody else's lampshade. It's AWKWARD!"

#2 2008-06-15 17:36:14

daf666
Website

Re: Equivalent of program called SUPER @ exist?

I used these tools in windows.. now days avidemux has all the functionality I need, did u try it?
Also, probably a shot in the dark but did you try running it under wine?

#3 2008-06-15 17:51:03

violagirl23

I didn't think it would run under WINE if it wouldn't even run under VirtualBox, but I can give it a try. I looked at avidemux too, but even it seems to hide a lot of functions from the user. There are no obvious checkboxes for video size, video quality. audio quality, etc.

#4 2008-06-15 19:16:52

daf666
Website

violagirl23 wrote:

I didn't think it would run under WINE if it wouldn't even run under VirtualBox, but I can give it a try. I looked at avidemux too, but even it seems to hide a lot of functions from the user. There are no obvious checkboxes for video size, video quality. audio quality, etc.

In avidemux, After you choose the output video codec (there are many many) each codec has all these settings and a trilion more.. same goes for audio.

#5 2008-06-16 00:08:07

violagirl23

Grr, it seems okay, but I can't figure out how to decode a video to mere audio input, or a video to mere video output. Is there a way to do such a thing with avidemux?

Edit: I see you can create audio-less video by going to the Audio menu and selecting the source as "None" but can see on way to make something audio only, such as turning an flv into an mp3, and that might be one of my biggest uses with an encoder. Am I missing something or is this impossible with Avidemux?

Funny, I stumbled across a program called Avocado that seemed like quite a good front-end, but the original website mentioning it has disappeared and on the other page that mentions it, all download links are also not working. Also, if the download link WERE working, it would be available as a .deb only. Is there any way to install such a thing on Arch? I will have to look into this. I sent an email to who I think is the developer, but I am not sure if I would get a response.

Last edited by violagirl23 (2008-06-16 00:44:25)

#6 2008-06-16 01:20:53

sim4lin

Hello,

With AviDemux, set your audio properties to mp3, then
got to:

Audio > Save

and save it as whatever.mp3

ASRock N68C-GS FX motherboard
AMD X2 240 @ 2.8G
Nvidia 9500GT @ 1G
Kingston 800Mhz DDR2 @ 4G

#7 2008-06-16 17:45:50

daf666
Website

Viola, you might be seeing less stuff than you should in avidemux, I am not sure, but just in case, do the following:
pacman -S codecs xine-ui vlc mplayer
see if that makes a difference

Board footer