You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-16 20:52:52

zakAap

lost boot files

Hi all,

I wanted to install some more linux distributions to try.
While installing ubuntu i manually configured the partitions and thought it was safe to share my /boot partition without formatting.
But guess what, after booting i only got the options to boot ubuntu. And in the boot partition the arch kernel etc. are gone..

So do I have to reinstall arch now or can I just install the boot files somehow?

Thanks in advance,

Emiel

#2 2008-06-16 21:00:19

senjin
Website

Re: lost boot files

Maybe I'm wrong, but this is how I would try to repair it:

1. Boot with archlinux install cd, and boot into your arch (something like "arch root=/dev/sdaX").
2. pacman -S kernel26
Your kernel files will be re-created. Copy them to the safe place and update menu.lst for grub (or another file if you use LILO - don't know much about it)

#3 2008-06-17 06:55:26

bender02

I think the kernel and initcpios are still there in /boot, it's just that grub's /boot/grub/menu.lst got overwritten with ubuntu's. So just add archlinux entries there and you should be good to go.

#4 2008-06-17 16:00:30

zakAap

senijn and bender thanks for your replies.

I can boot into arch with the install cd and then reinstall the kernel, because it's really gone, not only the grub/menu.lst is overwritten.
But then when I add it to the grub menu I get device not found.
I Also tried to make a new boot folder on the same partition as arch, but I also can't boot from it..
So I think I'll just reinstall, it's not that much work because I only had arch installed for a week or so..

Board footer