You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-10 00:15:52

PeteV

cfdisk gives fatal error

Hi,

I have just tried to install archlinux, without success. My machine is a Compaq Evo N1015v laptop. I have previously had success with Gentoo, so I know that Linux supports my laptop.

The cd appears to boot fine, after which I ran /arch/setup. At the menu to partition the disk it runs cfdisk, which fails with "FATAL ERROR: cannot read disk drive" (and sometimes "hda: bad " something-or-other about reading the disk). I have tried running cfdisk manually with the correct /dev/disc/... argument and get the same result.

I have read other accounts of people using this model of laptop (on different distros), saying various kernel options that might help. I have tried them all with no success.

I have previously found that Debian will only boot (similar problem) with "acpi=on" given at boot. It doesn't work here, but could this be an ACPI (or lack of) problem?

Thanks for any assistance,
Pete

#2 2004-06-10 21:16:09

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Re: cfdisk gives fatal error

Hmm... okay, maybe you need ACPI then.  The install kernel does not have ACPI support, I left it out for size considerations.

I'll try to squeeze it in for 0.7, but if you really want to install Arch before 0.7 goes out, you'll have to install via an "alternative" approach, if you're up to it.

You'll need a LiveCD or some intermediate linux system, so you can boot up with ACPI support to install Arch. (the stock Arch kernels have ACPI, just not the boot one).

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rem … %20Install

#3 2004-06-11 09:21:39

PeteV

Re: cfdisk gives fatal error

Thanks for the reply.

Since my post I have already switched to Gentoo, got fed up with it and switched back to FreeBSD (which seems to support my hardware without fuss!).

I might try Arch again when 0.7 comes out -- any idea when that might be?

Cheers,
Pete

Board footer