You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-19 16:09:15

phildg

Eclipse Freezes when opening a file

Hi

Eclipse freezes, whenever I try to open a file. The workspace loads OK, and it does all the background tasks, but as soon as I try to open the editor it freezes indefinitely, I've tried all the suggested solutions for eclipse freezing in general, rolling back firefox, installing xulrunner and adding it to /etc/ld.so.conf.

I even uninstalled eclipse and all the plugins, deleted ~/.eclipse and /usr/share/eclipse and reinstalled eclipse on it's own. After launch I created a new workspace and project and a java Class, but when I came to open it in the editor eclipse froze.

Any ideas?

PS: Please help. A day and a half using Windows at work is driving me up the wall.

Last edited by phildg (2008-06-19 16:10:28)

#2 2008-06-19 19:22:53

cactus.ed

Re: Eclipse Freezes when opening a file

I had the same sort of problem back in April. Sucks. Mine was a GTK issue (Arch bug# 10113).

good luck,

-nate

#3 2008-06-20 03:20:11

emtec

I also had such problem. In my case it was caused by the fact that I had en entry in /etc/cups/client.conf for a print server that no longer existed and whenever I opened any file eclipse tried to connect there (don't ask me why), hanging on this connection attempt.

#4 2008-06-20 06:37:40

phildg

I'll bear that in mind, that sounds a real candidate for me, I've recently changed the cups config.

However last night, the laptop won and I reinstalled. I know it's drastic but the install has been cloned and dragged around a few computers now. Eclipse seems to be working at the minute.

Thanks for the input

#5 2008-06-20 19:52:04

phildg

Solved.

It was due to the config of /etc/cups/client.conf

On my home network I run cups on the server, and the rest of the machines connect directly to it over http + encryption, rather than running the cups daemon on every machine.

On the works laptop I need to run the daemon locally, so had done so and set the hostname to localhost, but I forgot to disable the encryption.

Thanks emtec, I wouldn't have thought of that in a million years

Board footer