You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-22 19:03:05

JazzDan
Website

New Arch User - Problems with openoffice, alsa, cups daemon, bus error

Hey all,

I just started using Arch yesterday and I love it so far. I have been using Ubuntu and Opensuse on my desktop for the past few years, and heard about Arch so I decided to try it. I love the speed and the customization, I've had a lot of fun tweaking it and thus have run into the occasional broken X server, no internet connection, etc. I've been able to overcome most of them with a little experimentation, however, these have thrown me for a loop. Something tells me that they are all silly mistakes, just based on the nature of them though.:rolleyes: Anyways, here they are.

I installed openoffice.org as detailed in the arch wiki here. However, when I try to run any of openoffice.org's components I get this error message:

[dan@arch-laptop ~]$  /opt/openoffice/program/swriter
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-open.c: 260: dl_open_worker: Assertion `_dl_debug_initialize (0, args->nsid)->r_state == RT_CONSISTENT' failed!

I tried the fix listed on the bottom of the wiki page which instructed me to delete the .openoffice[sic] folder in my home directory, but that did not resolve the problem. I also tried adding the DRI section in my xorg.conf, however that broke my x server.

ALSA is also proving problematic. I followed the installation instructions at the arch wiki and after unmuting all of my channels I still would not get any sound. My sound module is snd_hda_intel and it is detected, loaded and the whole nine yards (as far as I can tell). My user is a member of the 'sound' user group also. I looked at the troubleshooting tips on the bottom but decided not to try them as they do not seem to pertain to my card (snd_hda_intel) but I will try them if anyone would like me to.

On a related note, whenever I try to run any sort of media application, be it xine, mplayer or vlc, I get this error:

[dan@arch-laptop ~]$ vlc
VLC media player 0.8.6h Janus
Bus error

I'm not sure if that is related to the problems I am having with ALSA or not, but I included it regardless.

Finally (thanks for sticking with me!) I cannot get the CUPS daemon to start. I followed the instructions at the arch wiki. I installed CUPS, and, since I was to be connecting to a printer shared from a windows computer, I skipped to section 3.3 as instructed. When I try to start the CUPS daemon, I get this error:

[dan@arch-laptop ~]$ sudo /etc/rc.d/cups start
Password: 
:: Starting CUPS Daemon                                                  [BUSY] /etc/rc.d/cups: line 7: 16332 Bus error               /usr/sbin/cupsd
                                                                         [FAIL]

Which I now notice is also a bus error. Hmm.

If anyone has any ideas (Again, I have a strong feeling that I did something silly and basic as the majority of these problems have to do with a bus error) I would much appreciate them!

Thanks for such a great distro, you've already got a fan!

#2 2008-06-22 19:55:07

tigrmesh
IRC Op

Re: New Arch User - Problems with openoffice, alsa, cups daemon, bus error

apparently you need to run the dbus daemon (/etc/rc.d/dbus start)

#3 2008-06-22 20:19:13

Acecero

better yet, also add dbus to the DEAMONS list in rc.conf, so you dont have worry about starting it each reboot. smile

#4 2008-06-22 20:24:55

skottish
Forum Fellow

Acecero wrote:

better yet, also add dbus to the DEAMONS list in rc.conf, so you dont have worry about starting it each reboot. smile

Or add hal and let it start dbus.

#5 2008-06-22 21:08:18

JazzDan
Website

Hey, thanks for the replies!

I added dbus to the daemon array in rc.conf. However, I did already have HAL in there, which I had also understood to start dbus as well. Regardless, I added dbus in to the daemon array before hal so now my daemon array looks like this in rc.conf:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng dbus hal ipw3945d !network wicd netfs crond alsa)

apparently you need to run the dbus daemon (/etc/rc.d/dbus start)

Attempting to run the dbus daemon, prior to adding it to the daemon array in rc.conf, yields this output:

[dan@arch-laptop ~]$ sudo /etc/rc.d/dbus start
:: Starting D-BUS system messagebus                                      [BUSY] Failed to start message bus: The pid file "/var/run/dbus.pid" exists, if the message bus is not running, remove this file
                                                                         [FAIL]

In addition, all of the programs that did not work in my previous post still do not work and they give they same output from the console. It would make sense to me that this is dbus related since all the 3/4ths of the errors say, well, bus. Are there any other configuration steps I might have missed? Are my daemons in the wrong order? I am going to overlook the installation guide and see if there is anything I might have missed, but any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by JazzDan (2008-06-22 21:10:49)

Board footer