You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-24 03:49:51

JazzplayerL9

Firefox 3 - Gnome Shortcut opens home directory?

Interesting change, and I don't know whether it's a bug, config option, or difference in the new firefox that gnome doesn't know about...but when I use my keyboard shortcut to open "Minefield," (I have it set as CTRL+ALT+F) it will open but will not display my homepage.  Instead, it displays my home folder.

Anyone else seeing this?  What's the fix?

#2 2008-06-24 04:34:10

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Firefox 3 - Gnome Shortcut opens home directory?

No if does the same thing here, try looking pref apps ... check to see it if set as Firefox and not a custom command

Last edited by Mr Green (2008-06-24 04:35:06)

Mr Green

#3 2008-06-24 05:52:00

JazzplayerL9

Firefox is set as the preferred application in Gnome.  It's set as command: firefox "%s"

I'm going to uninstall Firefox, delete my .mozilla folder, and see what happens when I reinstall.

EDIT:

Just deleted my .mozilla folder, uninstalled, and then reinstalled firefox.  I set my Preferred applications to use Firefox again, however when I started up "minefield" it stated that it wasn't set as the default application, but showed the homepage.  When I clicked "Yes" to set the default application to "minefield" and closed it again, using my shortcut produced the same buggy result as earlier...my home directory instead of my homepage.  I then went back into preferred applications and noted that the application was set as "Custom" instead of Firefox and that the path was /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/firefox "%s" instead of just firefox "%s" as before.  I changed the preferred application BACK to Firefox again, closed the preferred applications box, and used my shortcut to open the application.  This loaded firefox alright, but stated once again that firefox wasn't the default application.  I clicked "No" this time instead of yes and unchecked the "Always check to see if Firefox is the default application" box. 

Everything is working as long as I don't let "minefield" try and change the path to the new /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/firefox path. 

Can someone else reproduce this?

Last edited by JazzplayerL9 (2008-06-24 06:03:25)

#4 2008-06-28 03:43:07

ssjlegendx
Website

I, too, experienced this problem after upgrading to Firefox 3. If I remember correctly, I also encountered the issue at some point with Firefox 2 on Ubuntu (before my switch to Arch). In both cases, I fixed the problem by changing my preferred web browser (as you described, except without deleting the ~/.mozilla directory).

On my system, at least, it seems that running firefox will execute /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/firefox:

$ which firefox
/usr/bin/firefox
$ ls -l /usr/bin/firefox
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 2008-06-21 19:02 /usr/bin/firefox -> /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/firefox

I'm not quite sure why this occurs. I suppose that the two methods of execution interpret the "%s" differently for some reason. Perhaps there's something odd about executing a symlink (in this case, causing Firefox to behave properly) or -- alternatively -- a problem with explicitly executing something in /usr/lib? (The latter doesn't seem like it would be correct, but this situation brings it to mind.) It could simply be the case that the interpretation of "%s" depends on the directory in which the executed firefox resides....

EDIT: It seems that someone else has had issues starting Firefox 3; however, they seem to have had an almost opposite problem....

Last edited by ssjlegendx (2008-06-28 04:14:22)

#!/vim/rocks

#5 2008-06-29 02:15:16

sam

I too have had the same problem, and fixed it the same way.  I have had this in all gnome distros that I have used and I have had this problem since firefox 1.5.  I wish I had read this when i first had the problem, it sure would have saved me a lot of time...

#6 2008-08-17 19:20:12

Intrepid

I too had the same problem.  It seems that setting it as the default browser causes the problem and can be avoided if you do it directly through GNOME without letting firefox set it.

Intrepid (adj.): Resolutely courageous; fearless.

#7 2010-04-24 05:37:30

ehud

i know this is an old thread, but posting for the record:
i had the same problem, and removing the "%s" resolved it. home directory no longer opens.

Board footer