You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-26 18:19:05

kwurzel

[extensive request] Fedora's OneSecondX

Fedora 9 has a brand new modification (feature) called OneSecondX. Basically, it is a customised X.org starting in about one second

See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/OneSecondX for more info, and ftp://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fe … rce/SRPMS/ for source RPMs (xorg-x11-*.src.rpm)

Any chance to have this one on Arch/AUR? I know it's a very strong exercise, and I doubt that it's possible (or even reasonable), but "you don't ask, you don't get" ;-)

#2 2008-06-26 18:29:10

sniffles

Re: [extensive request] Fedora's OneSecondX

How about "You don't provide, you don't get" as a better line of thought? Also, Arch is (or was?) known for trying to keep distribution-specific modifications to a minimum, this being one of the main reasons I currently use the distribution.  X starts up pretty fast over here, I don't know how it goes for you and your choice of software, or for Fedora users.. so -I- am good with the current situation.

Last edited by sniffles (2008-06-26 18:32:36)

#3 2008-06-26 19:19:09

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

sniffles wrote:

How about "You don't provide, you don't get" as a better line of thought? Also, Arch is (or was?) known for trying to keep distribution-specific modifications to a minimum, this being one of the main reasons I currently use the distribution.  X starts up pretty fast over here, I don't know how it goes for you and your choice of software, or for Fedora users.. so -I- am good with the current situation.

Ummm, this is the AUR package request subforum...

#4 2008-06-26 19:25:27

sniffles

My bad. Sniffles' bad. I don't usually check the subforum name as I just usually use the "Show new posts" function. Carry on.. :-S

#5 2008-07-27 22:41:21

ilikenwf
Website

Sorry to beat a dead horse and all, but I'm working on this...their xserver package rpm is the only difference, and it so happens to have patches...hehe. I'm going to borrow the xserver-gentoo pkgbuild and mod it to use this...if I can work in the gentoo patches too, I'll do that as well, since they're good too...Will post here when tested and done.

#6 2008-07-27 23:42:49

Gullible Jones

Has X ever started in more than about one second? I've never seen X take long to start, even on very slow systems.

#7 2008-07-28 00:25:07

ilikenwf
Website

I think it really has to do with boot speed...the time it takes to load before you see the login screen...whatever, I'm giving it a shot. Having fixes never hurts anything...
------------------------------------------
Thanks to joekey for the PKGBUILD I borrowed!

Okay, I had to hold back a couple patches, as the current version I'm patching against (too lazy to go up to newest version, quite yet), but the majority of the good stuff is in there.

I did have to edit a couple patches because of line discrepencies and such...when 1.5 comes out, I may update the PKGBUILD, if these fixes aren't included upstream...I know for a fact that they (probably) are already included in the 1.6RC, which may be worth trying eventually.

Whatever the case, give this a try:
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=18691

Last edited by ilikenwf (2008-07-28 00:49:26)

#8 2008-07-28 07:54:24

JGC
Developer

Hmm, you are aware of the fact that linking to webcvs/viewvc URLs to grab patches from other distributions is a terrible thing to do? Their patches will disappear or they will change their webcvs/viewvc frontend after a while and your package won't build.
Also note that this package is just a bunch of patches from random distributions applied to an outdated version of xorg. Many of these patches fix things we don't use on archlinux and don't have anythign to do with "one second X".

BTW: Consider upgrading to xorg-server 1.4.99.906. To use it, you'll have to rebuild your videodrivers though. ATI's catalyst driver doesn't support it at this moment.

#9 2008-07-29 01:29:05

ilikenwf
Website

Ok.  I'm working on a PKGBUILD to just download and build the newest from the xserver git repo. Unfortunately, the mesa-git build is needed, but currently messed up as one of it's dependencies has been removed, even though the pkgbuild for it is still there (without the dependency, too)...I'm a bit confused on that....anyway, this build will include 9 or 10 patches that I've verified aren't included in this newest release, so I figured I'd add them in...I'd really like to get the git version to work, but we may have to just wait on mesa's pkgbuild to get straightened out...until then, I may make one like xserver-xorg-latest or something, to tide us over...

Last edited by ilikenwf (2008-07-29 01:38:30)

#10 2008-07-30 00:05:14

ilikenwf
Website

Well, there are a few small PKGBUILDs I'll have to make in order for others to build xorg-server-git, but after that, I think I may have something put together.

#11 2008-07-31 14:08:44

Execute_Method

ilikenwf wrote:

Well, there are a few small PKGBUILDs I'll have to make in order for others to build xorg-server-git, but after that, I think I may have something put together.

How is this coming along? I would really like to "borrow" it from you once it's done. Is the mesa-git fixed yet, and do you have a package build for that?  Also, what is the proper way to install these. Is it necessary to -Rc xorg first?

Thanks,
Stephen

Board footer