You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-28 13:34:30

Sekra

catalyst 8.6 breaks wine

I'm not sure what has happened to my arch system but I've started having these odd graphical issues..
First of all, I'm not sure when these started or what made them start.. I'm not that experienced with linux
so it might have been something I've done with the system or not. But if you can help me track down
and fix this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Here is some information first:
Computer:
Laptop LG P1 Express Dual
gfx: Ati Mobility X1400

KDE 3.5.9
latest catalyst driver from pacman

First of all, I played around with wine a while back and it worked fine then. Couldn't get the application to work
so I eventually removed the .wine directory. Today, I figured I might play some Dwarf Fortress on my laptop too
so I ran winecfg. Then suddenly BOOM! the screen goes all messed up (dont worry I have a pic and I will post it
a bit further down) and I had to restart X using ctrl-alt-backspace. After relogging I ran winecfg again and it had
made all the necessary files allready so it started up normally and with no probs. So, I decided to try out the
game, tried running it and BOOM, screen goes haywire again. So again, I restart X. I remove .wine again to
see if the problem goes away and if it was just some weird configuration glitch. I run winecfg and there goes
the screen again. So this time I took a screenshot, restarted X and opened the pic.. This is how the screenshot
looked like:

pic1.png

So I had to do remove .wine again and do it all over again and this time I took a pic with my camera. And this
is how the desktop looks on my screen after running winecfg OR the game I was trying to run with wine:

pic2.jpg

edit: its confirmed that catalyst 8.6 drivers break wine. see link to ati unofficial bugtracker

Last edited by Sekra (2008-06-30 12:21:01)

#2 2008-06-29 10:27:10

Sekra

Re: catalyst 8.6 breaks wine

Tracking down my pacman.log I'd say that the propable cause is the upgrade from catalyst 8.5 to 8.6 since when I first installed wine I was still using 8.5 but now with 8.6 its not working anymore.

edit: looks like this is allready reported: http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1173

Last edited by Sekra (2008-06-29 12:42:21)

Board footer