You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-30 18:06:34

Decapsuleur

Outputting a terminal to an external screen via HDMI

Hi everyone !

I am absolutely new to Arch Linux and looking forward to installing it on my main PC which is an Asus G1S laptop.

Specs and Wiki:
http://asusg1s.wikidot.com/arch-linux

The existing Wiki, though extremely helpful, doesn't cover the HDMI output functionality.

Since I plan on staying without a GUI for some time in Arch, being able to use my external monitor while inside a teminal would be greatly appreciated.

Being a former Ubuntu user, I had worked around this problem by using the Gnome-terminal after some tinkering in nvidia-settings. Also, while the external monitor did work in Gnome, it lost the signal as soon as I switched to a "real" terminal session (that is, by using Ctrl-F1,F2,F3...). At that moment, the output fell back to the laptop's panel.

Long story short, I would like to know how one can redirect the terminal's output to an external screen and if HDMI is out of question.

I have absolutely no idea how such a thing could be feasible and in fact always wondered if it was possible at all.

Thanks a lot for your time smile

#2 2008-07-02 15:53:29

Decapsuleur

Re: Outputting a terminal to an external screen via HDMI

Still googling the issue and found out GRUB might be of some use in resolving my problem.

http://my.opera.com/robodesign/blog/show.dml/300997

Since you can specify a resolution within GRUB by adding, let's say, "vga=792" to /boot/grub/menu.lst, does anyone know of another parameter which can be used to redirect the terminal's output ?

#3 2008-07-02 17:01:54

Cyrusm

Just for clarification. you say you are trying to stay without a Gui.  does this mean you aren't running X either?  just plain text scrolling down the screen?  Or are you trying to use your laptop screen with X and have the external monitor displaying plain text (or viceversa)?  basically, I don't understand the set up that you are trying to accomplish.

You could set up your external monitor with Xrandr (check the man page for setup)  and you could install conky and have a .conkyrc file that prints terminal output (or several other outputs if desired)
directly onto the desktop.  I'm not sure this is exactly what you're looking for.  but it is an option.

Cyrusm

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#4 2008-07-02 17:12:46

Decapsuleur

I am not running X. We are indeed talking about plain text scrolling down the screen. Eventually, I'll install X, and possibly Gnome or KDE.

The way my desk is organized, I have no choice but to use my laptop with the lid closed. (I have a double screen setup connected to the laptop using VGA and HDMI and I am lacking the space for an open laptop)

Also, are you implying I could use X to output the terminal to those screens without even installing a GUI ?
As mentionned earlier, I have never been "exposed" to the inner workings of Linux as I primarily used Ubuntu and Fedora before. To me, the distinctions between the X server and the GUI running on top of it are still somewhat blurry. My primary goal in switching to Arch is to understand the differences between the different "layers" of a full-fledged Linux install.

Last edited by Decapsuleur (2008-07-02 17:19:27)

#5 2008-07-02 18:10:48

Cyrusm

In that case, I'm not sure how to help you set up your dual-monitor output like you want, I've never seen any method to accomplish this layout.

I'm going to have to Commend you on your choice to run linux solely as a command terminal without X running.  It deffinitely poses some interesting challenges and forces you to think
from a command-line oriented perspective.  as far as I know, you can run X without a Window Manager or Windowing Environment.  I've never done it, but I understand it's just about as challenging as running from just the command-line.   that would be the second layer I suppose.

I suggest, if and when you do decide to move to a window manager, Try to stick with a light weight one like Fluxbox, blackbox, openbox, or for a very unique experience, try ratpoison.  and avoid 'Windowing Environments' that utilize desktop icons and fat dependencies (like gnome, KDE, or XFCE4)  This is just my personal opinion, you'll maintain a mostly CLI experience this way and it's within keeping to the KISS method.

I wish I could help you more with your actual problem.  sorry about that and good luck!  Welcome to Arch big_smile

Cyrusm

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Board footer