You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-02 04:37:37

coarseSand

Crazy Guild Wars/WINE/Graphics Problem

Recently I've gotten back into Guild Wars (and subsequently dropped off the forums like a stone), but I have a very bizarre issue with it. Every so often, and I have no idea why because error reports haven't turned up anything, I get a graphics failure, the monitor turns off as if it isn't receiving a signal or one of the sync rates is too high, and a fan in my computer, presumably on the graphics card, becomes audibly louder and faster. This only happens with Guild Wars on WINE, nothing else will cause it to occur. Also, it doesn't happen at precise intervals or after a certain number of hours, it seems to be completely random. I've had it happen on load, 5 minutes in, a few hours in, and on a day off where I was just being lazy, I had ten straight hours of gameplay and no problems whatsoever. I've gone over all of my logs, and absolutely nothing is turning up to clue me into the problem.

My computer is quite new, I purchased it this April. It has an Nvidia 9600GT graphics card, the drivers for which have been out of beta for a while now and have acted quite well with everything else, including Quake 4, ET:QW, Prey on WINE, and Mount&Blade on WINE. Previously I was using the Nvidia installer to handle the driver, but both it and the Arch package have the same problem, in case there was any doubt there.

Any help is very much appreciated, and while the problem may not best be suited to these forums, even getting the slightest hint as to what could be going on would be great help, as I'm completely in the dark on this one.

vim? EMACS? Pssh, I code in Scribus.

#2 2008-07-02 05:29:45

Dheart

Re: Crazy Guild Wars/WINE/Graphics Problem

Lauch the game with WINEDEBUG=+all wine GuildWars.exe
Also it might be the new nvidia's drivers not recognizing the monitor's refresh rate and I've posted the fix here.

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

#3 2008-07-02 06:23:46

coarseSand

Launching the game with WINEDEBUG=+all wine Gw.exe causes so much debugging information to pass that it slows the entire process to a crawl. It took two full minutes to even display the GW "connecting to ArenaNet" window to appear, much less connect and complete, something which usually takes 1-3 seconds max. It would be impossible to test the game itself properly, if at all, with that option set.

I can also confirm now that using the xorg.conf fix won't solve the problem, as 10 minutes in I had another blackout. That fix seems to be for a much older 5200 card on a CRT though, the solution for which is not going to mesh as well with a 9600 running a 22" LCD.

It could also be an issue with the monitor now that I think of it, which is an LG 226WTY @1680x1050, but I have my doubts that it lies at the bottom of all this, as I've heard MPD stop playing when I've had it on and this problem has occured, so I think it has something to do with the system itself, be it kernel or internal hardware, more than the monitor.

Thanks for the ideas though, too bad they didn't solve the issue.

P.S. The more I think about it this might very well be a kernel+WINE issue, as I'm also unable to ctrl+alt+backspace out of X to the command line when the blackout occurs, which could mean the keyboard is being disabled by a kernel panic of some kind, thus causing the problem with the graphics card. Nothing has appeared in the logs though, which is odd.

#4 2008-07-02 09:45:42

Dheart

Nope... Can't help you here hmm
Post your problem at wine's appdb...

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

#5 2008-07-02 13:14:10

coarseSand

Ayep, that seems to be the next step. Thanks again though Dheart.

#6 2008-07-08 20:47:13

chebe
Website

Sounds like a wine config hazard ! Have you tried running it through playonlinux, it saves the hassle of configuring wine for quite a few games ...

Chebe DEWEL
Bow before me, for I am root

Board footer