You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-04 17:06:06

rocktorrentz

Anyone using Compiz Fusion on it's own?

I want to switch to something minimalist like openbox but I like my flames when I minimize and my wobbly windows tongue. So I would like to just use compiz fusion as a standalone window manager with pypanel or something. Anyone doing this successfully? If so, how? I've tried a few times but failed miserably.

Cheers

#2 2008-07-04 17:46:20

INCSlayer
Website

Re: Anyone using Compiz Fusion on it's own?

there is a thread on the forums that details how to do it but it dosent work to well i cant find it atm but it is around here somewhere

dovie andi se tovya sagain

#3 2008-07-04 17:51:48

u_no_hu

I tried compiz alone as a windowmanager and it was pretty good .....but after getting used to  awesome i felt a bit uncomfortable and switched back ......

Here is my .xinitrc

DEFAULT_SESSION=awesome

case $1 in
        awesome)
                exec awesome
                ;;
        enlightenment)
                exec enlightenment_start
                ;;
        compiz)
                exec compiz --replace ccp & emerald --replace
                ;;             
        openbox)               
                exec openbox-session                                   
                ;;             
        *)                     
        exec $DEFAULT_SESSION   
        ;;                     
esac   

and make sure u predefine a set of keybindings to launch ur applications in ccsm...... :-)

Last edited by u_no_hu (2008-07-04 17:53:04)

Don't be a HELP VAMPIRE. Please search before you ask.

Subscribe to The Arch Daily News.

#4 2008-07-04 18:11:47

rocktorrentz

Thanks. I will try that when I get a moment.

#5 2008-07-05 02:12:23

peets
Website

to start compiz, add "compiz ccp" to your .xinitrc. It will start compiz and the plugin manager. Run "ccsm": it's the setttings manager. You'll need some terminal running or some key mapped to dmenu etc. to be able to actually launch programs.

But uh... there are much better WMs than compiz.

#6 2008-07-05 03:01:42

Lyceuhns

Here LXDE with Compiz-Fusion, starting with the fusion-icon.
Everything working perfect.

#7 2008-07-05 03:26:16

dr.cranium

peets wrote:

to start compiz, add "compiz ccp" to your .xinitrc. It will start compiz and the plugin manager. Run "ccsm": it's the setttings manager. You'll need some terminal running or some key mapped to dmenu etc. to be able to actually launch programs.

But uh... there are much better WMs than compiz.

I couldn't disagree more.  I've used *pretty much* every WM now.  Awesome, Openbox, Fluxbox, Ratpoison, FVWM, WMII.. etc.  I've liked them all but I find Compiz standalone to be the easiest to configure, most customizable, and simply best.  Using it standalone, its most similar to Openbox.  Just add a panel if you want.  I use Avant.  Through CCSM, you can easily bind all your hotkeys in two seconds.  F1 through F5 launch all my commonly used apps.  Alt-Tab activates ring switch which is much more convenient than a regular alt-tab.  The only thing I find it lacks is a root menu.

TLDR:

Just because its "spinnaenng cuebs!11!!" doesn't mean can't just be used for trolling and for n00bs. Its actually surprisingly good. /rant

#8 2008-07-05 13:55:47

peets
Website

Yeah sry I used "better" which is a stupid term to use when talking about WMs! For me, compiz lacked tiling and directional focus changing. If floating windows is your thing, then yeah, it's a competent wm! smile

#9 2008-07-06 03:18:18

dr.cranium

peets wrote:

Yeah sry I used "better" which is a stupid term to use when talking about WMs! For me, compiz lacked tiling and directional focus changing. If floating windows is your thing, then yeah, it's a competent wm! smile

lol.  Sorry.  It was just mah nerd rage.  Anyways, I completely agree with you in that sense. 

Rant retracted.

#10 2008-07-06 05:02:54

iBertus

I'm back to using compiz because of enhanced zoom and the shelf plugins. I do wish that compiz offered some tiling options beyond the simple and buggy tile plugin. I really like how awesome manages windows but really like hardware accelerated composited goodness.

#11 2008-07-06 08:12:50

u_no_hu

Will it be possible to port the awesome wms tiling logic as a compiz plugin?????  it is only few 100 lines of code ..... that way we can get beest of both worlds :-) May be i will give it a try when i get some free time.... :-)

Don't be a HELP VAMPIRE. Please search before you ask.

Subscribe to The Arch Daily News.

#12 2008-07-06 08:30:44

moljac024

There are some rumors about the openbox guys implementing tiling. That is the only thing missing for Openbox to be able to claim the throne of window management! wink

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

Board footer