You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-04 21:31:51

darenw
Website

have Qt but no Qt headers?

Former Ubuntu user, experienced Linux programmer, now using Arch 64bit on a laptop.  Man is this slick!

I'm trying to compile the QUCS electronic circuit simulator from the source tarball (ignoring the Arch repository for now; i'm experimenting with its internals) but ./configure stops at saying it can't find the qt headers.   I already have other Qt-using software installed (qjackctl for one) and  so i assume qt's headers are installed along with everything else in Qt.   Giving up, i installed the QUCS package with pacman, and it runs fine.   I can only assume i really have Qt, the right version needed.  Yet the QUCS source still won't configure.    I could sit down and shut up and just use the pacman-installed QUCS, but i'm curious what's keeping configure from finding the headers, and i do like digging into trouble!   Maybe there is something that could be fixed?

Artist/Physicist, Herder of Pixels, Photons and Electrons

#2 2008-07-04 22:04:59

brynjolf

Re: have Qt but no Qt headers?

What is the exact error message? I had a small problem with Qmake due to paths not being set up right.

Cerebral: "Welcome to the distro.  You'll never leave.  Mwahaha"

#3 2008-07-04 22:42:45

darenw
Website

i wish i could copy and paste from another computer...

the command is
  [bash]$ ./configure
  ... many lines ending with "yes"...
  checking for Qt headers... configure: error: not found

I did peek in /usr/include and yes, there seem to be headers
/usr/include/Qt, /usr/include/Qt3Support, etc.  and in /usr/lib/ there are so files for Qt3 and for Qt4.   hmm, two major versions of Qt - could the Qt3 headers have somehow clobbered Qt4's or should that not be a problem?

#4 2008-07-04 23:41:53

hacosta

what's qucs based on qt3, o r qt4,

also what is the output of

echo $QTHOME

and env |grep QT

#5 2008-07-05 00:27:14

darenw
Website

QTHOME, or anything in the environment = a true vacuum, not even quantum foam... such variables are undefined.   Lemme guess... QTHOME or at least some QTxxxx variable should exist?

I believe QUCS wants QT3, The configure script makes references to /usr/include/qt3.   That last directory, as it happens, does not exist.  So the configure script is making an honest complaint.  The previously installed (properly running) program were qt4.   

I did, early today before my first post, did a "pacman -S qt3"   and right now i can do "pacman -Q qt3" to find i have qt3 3.3.8-7 installed.   Maybe this is an oddball package that, despite the wonderful one-pieceness of Arch packages, has a separate "dev" package?

#6 2008-07-05 00:49:54

hacosta

qt3 is installed in /opt i think so try sourcing /etc/profile.d/qt3.sh

Board footer