You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-04 23:04:57

user1100100

Madwifi driver setup for WPA-PSK wireless encryption

Hi Group,

I thought I was so close to having a complete setup, but then a problem.

Here's the background:

Using archlinux with stock kernel 2.6.22 on IBM T21 or T23 Thinkpad.
Using an pcmcia SMC SMCWCBT-G network adapter.
I am using the latest 0.9.4 madwifi source tar.gz
The proper atheros madwifi drivers are installed and the ath0 device is active and functional.
Reading along in the madwifi docs, I found that I also had to install "Linux WPA Supplicant" in order to connect to a WPA secured router or access point.
I made the .config file as suggested in the Supplicant README and I set the defconfig file to work accept madwifi.

But when I try  ~$/opt/wpa_supplicant-0.5.10/make   I get the following errors and cannot figure what to do ---

l2_packet_freebsd.c:23:23: warning: net/if_dl.h: No such file or directory
l2_packet_freebsd.c: In function 'l2_packet_init_libpcap':
l2_packet_freebsd.c:146: error: 'BIOCIMMEDIATE' undeclared (first use in this function)
l2_packet_freebsd.c:146: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
l2_packet_freebsd.c:146: error: for each function it appears in.)
l2_packet_freebsd.c: In function 'eth_get':
l2_packet_freebsd.c:167: error: 'AF_LINK' undeclared (first use in this function)
l2_packet_freebsd.c:167: error: 'NET_RT_IFLIST' undeclared (first use in this function)
l2_packet_freebsd.c:177: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
l2_packet_freebsd.c:177: error: request for member 'ifm_msglen' in something not a structure or union
l2_packet_freebsd.c:177: error: invalid operands to binary +
l2_packet_freebsd.c:177: error: invalid use of non-lvalue array
l2_packet_freebsd.c:179: error: invalid use of undefined type 'struct if_msghdr'
l2_packet_freebsd.c:180: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
l2_packet_freebsd.c:180: error: request for member 'ifm_type' in something not a structure or union
l2_packet_freebsd.c:180: error: 'RTM_IFINFO' undeclared (first use in this function)
l2_packet_freebsd.c:181: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
l2_packet_freebsd.c:181: error: request for member 'ifm_addrs' in something not a structure or union
l2_packet_freebsd.c:181: error: 'RTA_IFP' undeclared (first use in this function)
l2_packet_freebsd.c:181: error: invalid operands to binary &
l2_packet_freebsd.c:183: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
l2_packet_freebsd.c:183: error: request for member 'sdl_family' in something not a structure or union
l2_packet_freebsd.c:183: error: request for member 'sdl_nlen' in something not a structure or union
l2_packet_freebsd.c:184: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
l2_packet_freebsd.c:184: error: request for member 'sdl_data' in something not a structure or union
l2_packet_freebsd.c:184: error: request for member 'sdl_nlen' in something not a structure or union
l2_packet_freebsd.c:184: warning: passing argument 3 of 'memcmp' makes integer from pointer without a cast
l2_packet_freebsd.c:186: warning: implicit declaration of function 'LLADDR'
l2_packet_freebsd.c:186: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
l2_packet_freebsd.c:186: error: request for member 'sdl_alen' in something not a structure or union
l2_packet_freebsd.c:186: warning: passing argument 2 of 'memcpy' makes pointer from integer without a cast
l2_packetl2_packet_freebsd.c:23:23: warning: net/if_dl.h: No such file or directory
l2_packet_freebsd.c: In function 'l2_packet_init_libpcap':
l2_packet_freebsd.c:146: error: 'BIOCIMMEDIATE' undeclared (first use in this function)
l2_packet_freebsd.c:146: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
l2_packet_freebsd.c:146: error: for each function it appears in.)
l2_packet_freebsd.c: In function 'eth_get':
l2_packet_freebsd.c:167: error: 'AF_LINK' undeclared (first use in this function)
l2_packet_freebsd.c:167: error: 'NET_RT_IFLIST' undeclared (first use in this function)
l2_packet_freebsd.c:177: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
l2_packet_freebsd.c:177: error: request for member 'ifm_msglen' in something not a structure or union
l2_packet_freebsd.c:177: error: invalid operands to binary +
l2_packet_freebsd.c:177: error: invalid use of non-lvalue array
l2_packet_freebsd.c:179: error: invalid use of undefined type 'struct if_msghdr'
l2_packet_freebsd.c:180: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
l2_packet_freebsd.c:180: error: request for member 'ifm_type' in something not a structure or union
l2_packet_freebsd.c:180: error: 'RTM_IFINFO' undeclared (first use in this function)
l2_packet_freebsd.c:181: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
l2_packet_freebsd.c:181: error: request for member 'ifm_addrs' in something not a structure or union
l2_packet_freebsd.c:181: error: 'RTA_IFP' undeclared (first use in this function)
l2_packet_freebsd.c:181: error: invalid operands to binary &
l2_packet_freebsd.c:183: error: request for member 'sdl_family' in something not a structure or union
l2_packet_freebsd.c:183: error: request for member 'sdl_nlen' in something not a structure or union
l2_packet_freebsd.c:184: error: request for member 'sdl_data' in something not a structure or union
l2_packet_freebsd.c:184: error: request for member 'sdl_nlen' in something not a structure or union
l2_packet_freebsd.c:184: warning: passing argument 3 of 'memcmp' makes integer from pointer without a cast
l2_packet_freebsd.c:186: warning: implicit declaration of function 'LLADDR'
l2_packet_freebsd.c:186: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
l2_packet_freebsd.c:186: error: request for member 'sdl_alen' in something not a structure or union
l2_packet_freebsd.c:186: warning: passing argument 2 of 'memcpy' makes pointer from integer without a cast
l2_packet_freebsd.c:186: warning: passing argument 3 of 'memcpy' makes integer from pointer without a cast
make: *** [l2_packet_freebsd.o] Error 1
[root@superaguri wpa_supplicant-0.5.10]#
_freebsd.c:186: warning: passing argument 3 of 'memcpy' makes integer from pointer without a cast
make: *** [l2_packet_freebsd.o] Error 1

Why the freebsd errors??
Any help or guidance greatly appreciated

#2 2008-07-05 00:54:16

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: Madwifi driver setup for WPA-PSK wireless encryption

Your kernel is very old, pacman -Syu to update everything.

Then you can do:
pacman -S madwifi wpa_supplicant
to install those two. You might find netcfg easier to use, have a look at the wiki page "Network Profiles"

Last edited by iphitus (2008-07-05 00:58:02)

#3 2008-07-06 04:06:55

user1100100

Thanks for the reply, Iphitus.
I removed the source madwifi and wpa_supplicant installation and used pacman after the major update.

I setup the wireless to use netcfg2 command, but the connection still fails --

err, ath0: timed out
                    - DHCP IP lease attempt failed                                           [FAIL]

I'm wondering if maybe I've overlooked something basic -- my access point is setup to use wpa2.  does wpa_supplicant not work with wpa2?
I'll do some googling and see if I can find anything.

I appreciate your time and help.

#4 2008-07-06 05:00:05

user1100100

okay, if i'm understanding correctly, wpa_supplicant does work to configure connections by way of wpa2.

now, I'm still not sure about what I need to provide in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf since i thought setting up a netcfg configuration file would control the process of handling the wpa2 connection...........need more RTFM.

will try again tomorrow.

#5 2008-07-06 08:09:32

WhiteMagic

I don't know if you already looked at that page http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Wpa_supplicant but perhaps you'll find some hints on what settings to use.
I think the most important thing is to use the correct driver for wpa_supplicant, in the case of the "old" madwifi drivers -Dmadwifi is required instead of the default -Dwext for the commandline option of wpa_supplicant.

#6 2008-07-06 12:54:48

iphitus
Forum Fellow

read the Arch wiki regarding netcfg "Network Profiles". There are responses to your error message user1100100.

If the instructions provided for you error message fail to rectify the problem, then try the version of netcfg in [testing]. Details for that are on "Network Profiles development"

#7 2008-07-06 14:34:07

user1100100

Thanks for the followup help Iphitus and WhiteMagic.
I will give this a run-through later today.

Board footer