You are not logged in.

#126 2010-06-05 03:08:18

sand_man

Re: Howto: Standalone Compiz Fusion as WM

playdafunkimuzic wrote:

So I finally gave compiz standalone a try, coming from openbox. But, it's not working for me...

I'm not getting any toolbars on my windows! sad

Do you mean window decorations? You need to enable the window decoration plugin in ccsm.

Last edited by sand_man (2010-06-05 04:03:13)

neutral

#127 2010-06-05 03:52:41

zephyrus17

You need to enable "Window Decorations". You can use Emerald to theme it too

beaten to it!

Last edited by zephyrus17 (2010-06-05 03:53:20)

#128 2010-06-05 04:02:57

playdafunkimuzic

sand_man wrote:
playdafunkimuzic wrote:

So I finally gave compiz standalone a try, coming from openbox. But, it's not working for me...

I'm not getting any toolbars on my windows! sad

Do you mean window decorations? You need to enable to window decoration plugin in ccsm.

thanks smile

I must say I'm impressed in the responsiveness, I don't think I could tell the difference in speed between this and openbox, very impressed smile

Last edited by playdafunkimuzic (2010-06-05 04:09:16)

#129 2010-06-05 06:50:30

archman-cro
Website

Also, some engines under Emerald Themer don't work for me. Example, it works with "truglass" selected.
If you're using emerald...
I've installed Compiz standalone a few weeks ago, but still haven't been using it actively. I just don't have a control over my desktop as I have with Openbox <3. And it takes millions of dependencies to get some things working.

Also, conky doesn't seem to display at all under it. It runs, but it doesn't show. Any ideas?

#130 2010-06-24 13:17:00

cyberius

hello

I already asked here (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=780708) but now I found this thread, so I just wanted to add my problem smile

Has anybody of you solved the problem, that everything that is started from compiz (as standalone wm) uses no direct rendering?

I have to "unset LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT" in terminal everytime i want to have direct rendering enabled.

e.g. when I start googlearth (uses opengl) from compiz-deskmenu it flickers.

but when I "unset LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT" in terminal first, than start googleearth from this terminal, everything works fine.

sad

[asd@asd ~]$ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: No (LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT set)
[asd@asd ~]$ unset LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT
[asd@asd ~]$ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: Yes

Last edited by cyberius (2010-06-24 13:19:53)

#131 2010-06-24 13:32:05

Berseker

Maybe if you can't find the fix directly, you could start by adding the command to unset that var in the script you use for starting your apps in your compiz session

#132 2010-06-24 13:38:07

cyberius

Yes, I could maybe write a script which launches everything I want with this setting, but maybe there is a better solution?

What I need is a programm, which starts from .xinitrc BEFORE compiz starts, and catches all my shortcuts (starting terminal..) and mouseclicks on desktop (to start compiz-deskmenu)
Or a minimalistic wm like openbox which gives me a desktop right click menu but works with compiz?

Is there something like that?

I just wonder, why nobody here who uses compiz as standalone wm has this problem..

Or can it be that I have a problem with my ati driver?
If somebody here uses compiz as standalone wm and has an ati card, please tell me what  "glxinfo | grep direct" tells you, when starting a terminal from compiz-deskmenu .. thanks!

Last edited by cyberius (2010-06-24 14:26:31)

#133 2010-06-24 16:32:53

Berseker

Maybe I was misunderstood. If you launch compiz this way

LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=0 compiz --replace ccp &

you shouldn't have problems.. or alternatively, start fusion-icon instead of compiz and de-select the option "indirect rendering" in the fusion-icon menu

#134 2010-06-25 07:00:36

cyberius

Berseker wrote:

Maybe I was misunderstood. If you launch compiz this way

you shouldn't have problems.. or alternatively, start fusion-icon instead of compiz and de-select the option "indirect rendering" in the fusion-icon menu

Hello
Thanks for your answer!

This is exactly my problem: the option "indirect rendering" is already deselected in the fusion-icon menu!
It makes no diference wether I check it or no, I always get

$ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: No (LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT set)

I added

in my .xinitrc, but it couldn't launch this. It gave me an error! I put an "exec" before it, it didn't work either.

How should I put it into my .xinitrc?

case $1 in
compiz-fusion-test)
#exec LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=0 compiz --replace ccp
# doesnt work!
    ;;
*)
    exec ck-launch-session fusion-icon
    ;;
esac

I installed xfce for a test and there I started compiz with fusion-icon, everything started from xfce has direct rendering.

I think what I need is a programm, which works like compiz "commands" , where I can set shortcuts to open the deskmenu and so on.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by cyberius (2010-06-25 07:01:16)

#135 2010-06-25 08:32:55

Berseker

try putting

export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=0

on top of your .xinitrc

it seems like you have a script somewhere that sets that ENV var to 1

#136 2010-06-25 14:15:47

cyberius

hi

i finally found out, that compiz runs AUTOMATIC in indirect rendering mode with catalyst (fglrx) (and there is no way to run it in direct render mode). with the free radeon driver  and kms enabled it should work, but i would loose 3d performance, so i made a wrapper script always to "unset LIBGL..." and then launch compiz-deskmenu.

with this i have direct rendering in every application i run by compiz-deskmenu.

thanks for you help

Last edited by cyberius (2010-06-25 14:16:13)

#137 2010-07-10 19:42:39

pratik_narain

@cyberius I'm using the same setup(compiz+compiz-deskmenu+fglrx) and having the same problem. Can you please share the script that solved your problem.

#138 2010-07-18 14:36:08

cyberius

pratik_narain wrote:

@cyberius I'm using the same setup(compiz+compiz-deskmenu+fglrx) and having the same problem. Can you please share the script that solved your problem.

#!/bin/bash
unset LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT
exec $1

put it in front of all you compiz "commands" keybindings

#139 2010-07-19 14:46:14

Barghest

archman-cro wrote:

Also, some engines under Emerald Themer don't work for me. Example, it works with "truglass" selected.
I've installed Compiz standalone a few weeks ago, but still haven't been using it actively. I just don't have a control over my desktop as I have with Openbox <3. And it takes millions of dependencies to get some things working.

Also, conky doesn't seem to display at all under it. It runs, but it doesn't show. Any ideas?

I haven't installed compiz so far but I like the idea of a minimal desktop like in Openbox with an additional bling bling.

What I'd like to know is, if compiz is as controllable with the keyboard as Openbox (e.g. moving windows around and resize them with a keybind).

From what archman-cro said, I assume it's not sad

#140 2010-07-19 16:05:19

munkyeetr

I just got my standalone compiz setup running yesterday.

I just wanted to add that I don't use the fusion.desktop / start-fusion.sh method. For whatever reason, fusion-icon crashes X on my system.

I installed compiz-manager and call that from .xinitrc, along with any other apps I want to start with it:

numlockx &
xbindkeys &
emerald &
tint2 &
tilda &
wicd-client &
# ccsm &
exec compiz-manager

NOTE: The first time you startx you will want ccsm uncommented so that it loads and you can set your keybindings (at least 1 to open ccsm).

If the advice you're given in this forum solves your issue, please mark the post as [SOLVED] in consideration to others.

"More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly." -- Woody Allen

#141 2010-07-19 16:13:11

munkyeetr

cyberius wrote:

If somebody here uses compiz as standalone wm and has an ati card, please tell me what  "glxinfo | grep direct" tells you, when starting a terminal from compiz-deskmenu .. thanks!

I have an ATI HD3200 (xf86-video-ati-6.13.1-1, xorg-server 1.8.1.902-1, no xorg.conf, 64-bit OS). I don't have compiz-deskmenu installed (not sure if that is crucial in your troubleshooting) but from inside a compiz session I get the following output:

$ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: Yes

Last edited by munkyeetr (2010-07-19 16:35:47)

If the advice you're given in this forum solves your issue, please mark the post as [SOLVED] in consideration to others.

"More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.

#142 2010-07-19 19:03:51

pogeymanz

Barghest wrote:
archman-cro wrote:

I haven't installed compiz so far but I like the idea of a minimal desktop like in Openbox with an additional bling bling.

What I'd like to know is, if compiz is as controllable with the keyboard as Openbox (e.g. moving windows around and resize them with a keybind).

From what archman-cro said, I assume it's not sad

The way Compiz does keybindings is a little bit of a pain. And theoretically, Openbox can have infinitely many keybindings, and Compiz cannot. Therefore, strictly speaking, Compiz is less customizable than Openbox in that respect.

However, you can control moving windows and resizing and sending to different viewports, etc with your keyboard quite easily. Each plugin has its own keybindings settings in CCSM. So you have to go to the "Resize Windows" plugin's options to edit those keybindings. Openbox has all that stuff in one file, which is nice.

Compiz only currently allows for 10 "external command" keybindings. These are more like application-launching shortcuts. So you can only bind 10 apps to keybinding shortcuts. It's not as restrictive as you might think unless you usually have every single app have its own shortcut (I just call dmenu, so I only need one shortcut). Compiz also has better smart placement, IMO.

EDIT: Plus you should check out the Tile and Grid plugins. I tried to make Openbox mimic Grid, but it isn't quite as nice, IMO.

Last edited by pogeymanz (2010-07-19 19:09:34)

#143 2010-07-19 19:07:17

pogeymanz

munkyeetr wrote:

I just got my standalone compiz setup running yesterday.

I just wanted to add that I don't use the fusion.desktop / start-fusion.sh method. For whatever reason, fusion-icon crashes X on my system.

I installed compiz-manager and call that from .xinitrc, along with any other apps I want to start with it:

numlockx &
xbindkeys &
emerald &
tint2 &
tilda &
wicd-client &
# ccsm &
exec compiz-manager

NOTE: The first time you startx you will want ccsm uncommented so that it loads and you can set your keybindings (at least 1 to open ccsm).

I don't use compiz-manager, or fusion-icon. I do have a start-fusion file that ends with:

emerald &
exec ck-launch-session compiz ccp --indirect-rendering

Unrelated: Does tint2 ever give you issues when you first start up? I launch tint2, then volwheel, then parcellite, then claws-mail and sometimes there is a blank terminal window open which kills tint2 when I close it. Very weird. If I launch it after Compiz, all is well. Obviously tint2 doesn't like when compiz starts.

#144 2010-07-19 22:36:08

munkyeetr

@pogeymanz:

I haven't had any issues with tint2 at startup with compiz.

#145 2010-07-19 22:41:03

munkyeetr

pogeymanz wrote:

Compiz only currently allows for 10 "external command" keybindings.

Actually - to split hairs - it allows 12 (0 - 11), which still wasn't enough for me, so I went with xbindkeys and am very happy with that setup.

#146 2010-07-20 01:58:19

pogeymanz

munkyeetr wrote:

@pogeymanz:

I haven't had any issues with tint2 at startup with compiz.

It was an intermittent problem. Since I've switched from "multi-desktop" mode to "single-desktop" mode, it hasn't happened. Maybe that was it.

#147 2010-07-25 10:08:20

my0pic

Just replaced openbox with standalone compiz on my netbook. I use the wall plugin and wanted to start my session on a particular viewport. You can configure openbox for that, but with compiz you can use dbus to trigger actions.
So to start on viewport 3 I placed this towards the end of my startup script...

sleep 10 && dbus-send --type=method_call --dest=org.freedesktop.compiz \
/org/freedesktop/compiz/vpswitch/allscreens/switch_to_3_key \
org.freedesktop.compiz.activate \
string:'root' int32:`xwininfo -root | grep id: | awk '{ print $4 }'` &

sweet smile

#148 2010-10-09 15:27:24

sweetthdevil

Any one having issue with compiz standalone at the minute?

For a start, the wallpaper doesn't appear any more, then the animation appears but stay on the screen (i.e. burn when windows close).

So I am using gnome at the minute with compiz working and no issue?! So I am a little confuse to say the least....

Any suggestions?

#149 2010-10-09 16:39:57

frabjous

sweetthdevil, try installing the "xorg-server-compositing-fix" package from AUR. See this thread for discussion.

#150 2010-10-27 18:15:55

LRRR

trying to get compiz as stand alone. get it to start with fusion-icon.

and only get fusion-start.sh to run with:

exec ck-launch-session /usr/local/bin/start-fusion.sh

i use slim.

Last edited by LRRR (2010-10-27 20:41:30)

...Emperor of the planet Omicron Persei 8.

Board footer