You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-06 03:21:15

colbert

How to install Firefox from firefox.com

I just reinstalled Arch and installed firefox from pacman, but this version is not compatible with Session Manager add-on (I cannot use FF without that add-on hehe). I've downloaded the firefox 3 from firefox.com, but what do I do with it? How do I replace the pacman firefox with this one? TIA for any help smile

#2 2008-07-06 03:56:52

smurnjiff

Re: How to install Firefox from firefox.com

Either extract the tarball provided by mozilla into your home directory and run it from there or modify the PKGBUILD in abs.

#3 2008-07-06 04:06:30

meandean

btw FF3 has a session manager, not sure if it does everything you need it to do though...

Even a chicken can install Debian, when you put enough grain on the enter key.

#4 2008-07-06 20:01:37

colbert

Well it's working. I had rebooted testing ALSA for unrelated issues and now FF is working with the Session Manager-- yeehaw!

#5 2008-07-06 20:05:17

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Installing using the installer from mozilla.org directly is bad. You should use a pkgbuild, so that pacman will be able to track the files. There probably are pkgbuilds for firefox2 in aur,

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#6 2008-07-06 20:08:10

kclive18

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=18077

That should be the right package.

My Rigs:
- Mid-2007 iMac 20", Intel 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2x1GB DDR2-800, 250GB SATA HDD, and...MIGHTY MOUSE!!! tongue, OSX 10.5 Leopard, ATI Radeon 2400XT 128MB
- HP zv6203cl, AMD Athlon 64 3200 S939, 2x512MB DDR400, 80GB 4200rpm HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200M 128MB, Arch i686 cool
- 1986 Gibson SG Junior Cherry Red, Ibanez 15W amp, DigiTech RP250 modeling processor

#7 2008-07-07 01:45:33

anrxc
Website

Mr.Elendig wrote:

Installing using the installer from mozilla.org directly is bad. You should use a pkgbuild, so that pacman will be able to track the files.

Well it doesn't have to track just about everything, /usr/local/{opt,src} are great for ff, realplay and similar crap to be contained in one directory.

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#8 2008-07-07 03:02:27

elliott

colbert wrote:

I just reinstalled Arch and installed firefox from pacman, but this version is not compatible with Session Manager add-on (I cannot use FF without that add-on hehe). I've downloaded the firefox 3 from firefox.com, but what do I do with it? How do I replace the pacman firefox with this one? TIA for any help smile

If the Firefox 3 in our repo isn't compatible with that extension, it isn't likely that the Firefox 3 direct from Mozilla would be.

Is this the extension you mentioned?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2324
Looks compatible to me.

#9 2008-07-07 16:41:15

iluvdrbonner

The best way to install their package is to untar the file. cd into that folder and read the INSTALL file. It should go through how to do everything. Odds are you just need to be in the untarred folder and run:

./configure
make
sudo make install

If that doesnt work read the output for clues to the problems.

#10 2008-07-08 11:18:34

Mr.Elendig

iluvdrbonner wrote:

The best way to install their package is to untar the file. cd into that folder and read the INSTALL file. It should go through how to do everything. Odds are you just need to be in the untarred folder and run:

./configure
make
sudo make install

NO NO NO NO NO NO and NO
As said, _always_ use makepkg, it will save you alot of trouble later.

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2008-07-08 11:19:22)

#11 2008-07-08 12:14:12

elliott

Mr.Elendig wrote:
iluvdrbonner wrote:

./configure
make
sudo make install

NO NO NO NO NO NO and NO

Firefox comes precompiled, you don't have to compile anything if you don't want to, just extract it where you want and make sure your path points to it.

Though ABS is always the best way. Either way, it is still uncessesary in this case, the Firefox in the repo is the same as the one on the Mozilla site.

Last edited by elliott (2008-07-08 12:14:36)

#12 2008-07-08 16:10:49

Mr.Elendig

elliott wrote:
Mr.Elendig wrote:
iluvdrbonner wrote:

./configure
make
sudo make install

NO NO NO NO NO NO and NO

Firefox comes precompiled, you don't have to compile anything if you don't want to, just extract it where you want and make sure your path points to it.

Though ABS is always the best way. Either way, it is still uncessesary in this case, the Firefox in the repo is the same as the one on the Mozilla site.

If it comes as source or pre compiled is not the point. Having a load of files in / that pacman don't know about, is. Have fun with strange bugs and "file already exist" errors with pacman.

#13 2008-07-09 17:45:36

elliott

Mr.Elendig wrote:
elliott wrote:
Mr.Elendig wrote:

NO NO NO NO NO NO and NO

If it comes as source or pre compiled is not the point. Having a load of files in / that pacman don't know about, is. Have fun with strange bugs and "file already exist" errors with pacman.

It'll run in the home directory, it really doesn't matter. Using /usr/local is a good way around the pacman issues though.

Pacman is great, but it isn't the "One True Way". There are many ways to do things that work just as well.

Last edited by elliott (2008-07-09 17:47:40)

#14 2008-07-10 14:31:06

Mr.Elendig

elliott wrote:

It'll run in the home directory, it really doesn't matter. Using /usr/local is a good way around the pacman issues though.

Pacman is great, but it isn't the "One True Way". There are many ways to do things that work just as well.

Using ~ or local/ you loose the ability to cleanly update and uninstall the app. There is also the namespace issue if you later install the app using pacman, while not rm'ing the install you did by hand.

#15 2008-07-10 16:36:28

Rasi
Website

Its not about "Pacman is the best" What applies to pacman, applies to apt-get, yum, emerge and all the others as well... If you use some kind of package database its simply ugly to install apps without registering them in the database. And it WILL lead to troubles - one way or the other...

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#16 2008-07-10 16:52:53

nh

Rasi wrote:

Its not about "Pacman is the best" What applies to pacman, applies to apt-get, yum, emerge and all the others as well... If you use some kind of package database its simply ugly to install apps without registering them in the database. And it WILL lead to troubles - one way or the other...

I can see the advantages of using pacman, apt-get, and so on.  I have several distributions on one box, all of which use a shared data partition, mounted as /data in each distribution.  I only want one copy of Firefox, so I installed it manually in /data.  It works fine, for now, but I can see there might be problems down the line, as you and Mr.Elendig have explained.

Is there a better approach to sharing one Firefox among several distros?  Should I use the packaged Firefox in each distribution, and point them to a common profile in /data?

#17 2008-07-11 01:26:18

elliott

Mr.Elendig wrote:
elliott wrote:

Using ~ or local/ you loose the ability to cleanly update and uninstall the app. There is also the namespace issue if you later install the app using pacman, while not rm'ing the install you did by hand.

I'm just saying if you plan for such issues, you can easily avoid them. If I have Firefox manually installed in /usr/local/firefox, I can uninstall it with rm -rf /usr/local/firefox, just as clean as pacman can uninstall things. Pacman never has to know it is there, and if you replace the binary name with something like firefox3-official or something like that, it doesn't conflict with the one from pacman.

Board footer