You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-15 04:38:45

sykotik

rc.conf vrs. modprobe.conf

I have just finished installing Arch andeverything went well.  This is my first experience with linux, and I was just looking into setting up modules to run on boot.  I looked around the forums for a bit and saw wo different things, one was people editing rc.conf, and the other was people editing modprobe.conf.

I was just wondering if someone could help me out and let me know what the differences are between these two, and/or which one is better for editing for boot up modules. TY.

#2 2004-06-15 05:32:35

sarah31
Website

Re: rc.conf vrs. modprobe.conf

i load all my modules via rc.conf as i find it easier to use one configuration file rather than two or more. (mind you i do use rc.local for one thing). with respect to module loading you can use either though there is no real difference other than there being less to enter in for rc.conf (just module names) than modprobe.conf (which uses sytax words and module names)

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-06-15 06:11:54

sykotik

Thanks, thats what I needed, just a quick overview of them.  I woudl also like to know what modules are included in rc.conf.  I woudl assume ethernet, and video card, but shoudl i put all of my modules in this fiel or leave some out

#4 2004-06-15 07:10:47

Bobonov

Using rc.conf is more practical and easyer for normal use than modprobe.conf.
Unless you need to pass particular parameter to the mod you load use rc.conf.

#5 2004-06-15 08:18:27

sarah31
Website

sykotik wrote:

Thanks, thats what I needed, just a quick overview of them.  I woudl also like to know what modules are included in rc.conf.  I woudl assume ethernet, and video card, but shoudl i put all of my modules in this fiel or leave some out

there are only two commented modules in rc.conf. you have to add the names of the modules you want to load yourself for example:

#
# Module to load at boot-up (in this order)
#   (prefix a module with a ! to disable it)
#
MODULES=(!usbserial !ide-scsi 8139too nvidia snd-cmipci snd-pcm-oss)

the first two are the "default" modules. the "!" means they are commented. the rest are my ethernet module, nvidia driver, alsa sound card module, and the oss alsa module.

just a note....rc.conf is also used for starting services at boot, such as mysql or postfix.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#6 2004-06-16 10:39:58

rc

Hi,
a small "add on" question/comment.
im using both rc.conf and modprobe.conf.
reason for this is im using two ethernet controllers.
so i have something like this:

alias eth0 via-rhine
alias eth1 sk98lin

in my modprobe.conf. Also the nvidia-installer placed a line there

alias i_dont_know nvidia

Edit: but this line doesn't seem to do anything. I still have to load the nvidia module via rc.conf. The Networking modules run fine without an entry in rc.conf.

greetings,
rc

Board footer