You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-08 15:07:53

Izobalax
Website

Stopping xfce panel autostarting in xfce session...

OK, I've looked OVER ALL THE INTERWEBZ for this one and I've found nothing, not even in this forum, unless I'm doing it wrong.

I prefer to use pypanel over the xfce4-panel. I have pypanel autostarting when I log into my xfce session. Problem is is that the xfce4-panel also autostarts, and I don't want it to. The xfce4-panel doesn't appear in my "Autostarted Applications" list neither.

How do I resolve this?

/izo\

"Eliciting positive quotes about Apple products is a bit like asking children for their view on Christmas; whatever you hear is going to be predictable and pretty much devoid of insight." -- Bill Ray

#2 2008-07-08 15:38:49

kclive18

Re: Stopping xfce panel autostarting in xfce session...

Try removing all the panels in the XFCE Panel Manager so that only pypanel will show up.

My Rigs:
- Mid-2007 iMac 20", Intel 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2x1GB DDR2-800, 250GB SATA HDD, and...MIGHTY MOUSE!!! tongue, OSX 10.5 Leopard, ATI Radeon 2400XT 128MB
- HP zv6203cl, AMD Athlon 64 3200 S939, 2x512MB DDR400, 80GB 4200rpm HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200M 128MB, Arch i686 cool
- 1986 Gibson SG Junior Cherry Red, Ibanez 15W amp, DigiTech RP250 modeling processor

#3 2008-07-08 16:09:29

Origynet

One (very) ugly way to do it would be to "pkill xfce4-panel" at startup and then "exec pypanel" afterwards...

(By the way glad to see you on Arch, Izo smile )

Piou Piou

#4 2008-07-08 17:24:51

fwojciec

Is removing all panels and then saving session while exiting xfce not working?

#5 2008-07-09 15:28:51

Izobalax
Website

kclive18 wrote:

Try removing all the panels in the XFCE Panel Manager so that only pypanel will show up.

Hi! When the xfce panel is running, I open up the panel manager, try to remove teh panel and get "You can't remove the last panel. Quit program?" So I do. But still the panel still boots on startup.

Origynet wrote:

One (very) ugly way to do it would be to "pkill xfce4-panel" at startup and then "exec pypanel" afterwards...

(By the way glad to see you on Arch, Izo smile )

Ah, never thought of that one. Cheers, will give it a whirl.

Also, thanks for the welcome! Are you "pimpmoth"?

fwojciec wrote:

Is removing all panels and then saving session while exiting xfce not working?

I'm afraid not.

/izo\

"Eliciting positive quotes about Apple products is a bit like asking children for their view on Christmas; whatever you hear is going to be predictable and pretty much devoid of insight." -- Bill Ray

#6 2008-07-09 15:57:59

synorgy
Website

IIRC xfce-session is simply a bash script that calls all of the parts of Xfce and starts them. You could copy and rename that script and modify it not to launch xfce4-panel (and you could probably insert pypanel in it's place).  Just make sure you place it in your PATH and that it's named something different (xfce-mod-session or something similar)

OR you could just  use your .xinitrc to launch all of the parts individually ala:

exec xfce-mcs-manager &
xfdesktop &
xfwm4 &
pypanel & 
conky &
xbindkeys

The above should work, but you'd have to add all of your autostarted programs to the .xinitrc. Hope this helps, Izo!

"Unix is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity." (Dennis Ritchie)

#7 2008-07-09 16:56:24

Izobalax
Website

synorgy wrote:

IIRC xfce-session is simply a bash script that calls all of the parts of Xfce and starts them. You could copy and rename that script and modify it not to launch xfce4-panel (and you could probably insert pypanel in it's place).  Just make sure you place it in your PATH and that it's named something different (xfce-mod-session or something similar)

OR you could just  use your .xinitrc to launch all of the parts individually ala:

exec xfce-mcs-manager &
xfdesktop &
xfwm4 &
pypanel & 
conky &
xbindkeys

The above should work, but you'd have to add all of your autostarted programs to the .xinitrc. Hope this helps, Izo!

Where can I locate the xfce-session script?

/izo\

#8 2008-07-13 13:27:35

Izobalax
Website

Solved. I used Origynet's solution in the end.

Many thanks all!

/izo\

Board footer