You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-11 03:40:42

arkay

Getting non supported commercial app to run on Arch?

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of converting my server from OpenSuse 10.3 to Arch.  The rolling disto is the most significant thing for me as I do a lot of customisation and don't want to lose it between format/install cycles of new release ditros. e.g. Opensuse 10.3->11.0 for instance.

Arch is great and I'm finding it perfect for everything I've done to date but I've hit what might be a showstopper for me.

I use HP's Data Protector express for backup to LTO3 tape.  It installs and runs find under opensuse (as it's supported for Suse Enterprise Server).  With Arch however it fails to install.  I've found that it's all about the kernel version and stdc libs.  It seems to require libstdc++.so.5 and associated libraries.  Arch provides libstdc++.so.6.

What I want to know is if there is any way at all to cludge this software into my Arch system.  I can't off the top of my head think of any way to do it so I thought I'd throw it out to the knowledgeable masses.

Please let me know if there's anything you can think of.  If not my only other option is to move all my backup regime over to Amanda or Bacula which is something I'm hesitant to do.  DPExpress is gui driven and I'd like to keep a gui tool available for simplicity in backup specification and restore and I don't know of any other freeware backup solutions that allow that?  Swapping over will also incur a decent restore/backup cycle as I don't have enough disk to restore everything then back it up again with other software.

Any ideas are welcomed.

Cheers,

Arkay.

#2 2008-07-11 03:44:44

peart

Re: Getting non supported commercial app to run on Arch?

Have you tried installing the libstdc++5 package?

#3 2008-07-11 04:00:16

arkay

Hi,

Thanks for the response smile

Funny you should mention that.  After I posted the above I went hunting and found libstdc++.so.5 on my laptop Arch build.  Then via pacman... DOH!

It's definitely not on my server build so I'll be installing that and re-trying when I get home. Hope that is all that's required.

Why is the most obvious sometimes not obvious at all! roll

Cheers,

Arkay.

Last edited by arkay (2008-07-11 04:11:17)

#4 2008-07-11 21:15:45

SiC

You could alternatively symlink the libstdc++.so.6 to libstdc++.so.5 as well, that *should* work.

#5 2008-07-11 22:04:55

rson451
Website

SiC wrote:

You could alternatively symlink the libstdc++.so.6 to libstdc++.so.5 as well, that *should* work.

symlinking libraries is generally not advised as you can unwittingly break many other parts of your system to get one part to work.

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#6 2008-07-14 03:49:22

arkay

SiC wrote:

I initially tried that but it didn't work.  Installing libstdc++.so.5 got me past one problem.  The installer then failed on libXft.  I symlinked libXft to get around that as I couldn't find a comparable backlevel package.

Everything appears to be behaving and I've now cut over 100% to arch.  Such a great distro! smile

Cheers,

Arkay.

#7 2008-07-14 04:09:38

Allan
Pacman
Website

rson451 wrote:
SiC wrote:

symlinking libraries is generally not advised as you can unwittingly break many other parts of your system to get one part to work.

+100.  This is one of the worst things you can every do to your system.

Board footer