You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-15 18:55:23

leejpar
Website

Membership growth of Arch forums!

Looking at the members list, a year ago there were only 262 members, now there are 1652 members. However, most of the conversation on the forums  is a few of the "old timers" chatting back and forth mostly about nothing, and quite often not even about the inital subject! Arch is a really fine distro, but it is time the old timers guit acting like it's their own private little distro party!

Linux Registered User #337161
'It's free. It works. Duh.'" - Eric Harrison

#2 2004-06-15 19:16:06

Zephirias

Re: Membership growth of Arch forums!

Well, there's nothing going on right now worth "discussing". This'll just end up starting a flame war for no reason, so until something important happens, I see no reason to stay laid back.

"Technically, you would only need one time traveler convention."

#3 2004-06-15 19:35:28

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I think if you search the forums, you'd find a few people who think the forum should be closed to all outsiders. :-D

On the other hand, if you think I'm one of these people distracting the topic of the forum, I'd be glad to go. The only reason I'm still hear is cause Xentac told me I couldn't go. But if anybody disagrees with them, I'll side withyou. wink

Dusty

#4 2004-06-15 20:13:17

contrasutra

Just don't read Off-Topic if you don't want to see non-Arch stuff.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#5 2004-06-15 20:16:05

xerxes2
Website

This reminds me of the second part of the first three star wars movies.

The community strikes back. big_smile  big_smile

Well, soon sarah31 will barges in and start a rant about how things were back in the good old days. Don't let her fool you. I know she cares about arch users , even if she has a strange way of showing it. wink

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#6 2004-06-15 20:19:34

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Those damn prairie people are so bitter....

No, we love the users or we wouldn't be here.

Actually, come to think of it the only reason I'm here is cause I love to argue with Sarah31. Oh well.  8)

Dusty

#7 2004-06-15 20:20:42

xerxes2
Website

Thanks Dusty, that was my point. big_smile  big_smile

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#8 2004-06-15 20:22:15

sarah31
Website

leejpar wrote:

Looking at the members list, a year ago there were only 262 members, now there are 1652 members. However, most of the conversation on the forums  is a few of the "old timers" chatting back and forth mostly about nothing, and quite often not even about the inital subject! Arch is a really fine distro, but it is time the old timers guit acting like it's their own private little distro party!

hmmm... 1652 members is alot and i am sure that 1400 of them may barely ever post. all forums are the same i have been to many. there are always post monkies and those that just post alot period with the majority of them being posts aiding or advising people. if you take away most of the "oldtimers" you complain of then who picks up the slack. i don't expect people like dp, xentac, and other to just leave without serious consequences to the forum.

if you really don't think that we help then just search the forums then search other forums. usually the oldtimers are carrying the brunt of the load and therefore have full right to play. .....oh and flame wars here are very mild. i have been in far worse both as a rookie and veteran elsewhere.

so basically are you ready to pick up the slack?

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#9 2004-06-15 20:44:52

leejpar
Website

I do not want anyone to leave, just making an observation about the forums and the growth of this community. I am one of the new guys that think Arch is a great Distro, it is what I hoped Debian would be and maybe will be someday when it is installable by humans!  You "old timers" are the foundation from which us "new guys on the block" can learn a hell of a lot! You are all very valuable to the growing Arch community!  So, expect a lot of new members posting their inital problems that might seem silly to some of you older members. I personally enjoy helping folks, however, I am not always have the perfect solution.

#10 2004-06-15 21:30:07

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

leejpar wrote:

You talk like you think I like talking to people on the forum.  I'm usually here to address community concerns, correct stupid people who give the wrong solution, or comment on packages that I maintain.

I hardly think that the "old timers" are in any way impeding new users from posting.  It just happens that the "old timers" are the only ones with anything to say.  If you want to change this then there's only one thing you can do: post!

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#11 2004-06-15 23:17:47

leejpar
Website

Xentac wrote:

You talk like you think I like talking to people on the forum.  I'm usually here to address community concerns, correct stupid people who give the wrong solution, or comment on packages that I maintain.

No, I did not say "you", I said "a few"!

Thanks for your help and the rest of the "old timers" that are doing a wonderfull job!

#12 2004-06-15 23:30:38

zeppelin
Website

leejpar, what? I'm new smile smile {hey, but who are you?}

anyways, since when "partying" is bad?
thanks for providing yet another thread for partying 8)

#13 2004-06-16 00:46:30

tehdely
Website

Well Arch is still run like an old-boys club, so let the old-timers at it.  It's their distro.

I'm just hoping they either expand the club, or shed large parts of the distro to the community  smile

[Arch GNUstep Repository] [ PKGBUILDS ]
[code][gnustep]
Server = ftp://blkwidow.lerp.com/pub/mirror/arch/gnustep[/code]

#14 2004-06-16 03:44:13

wdemoss

leejpar wrote:

HeHe, you called them old! smile

Hobbes : Shouldn't we read the instructions?
Calvin : Do I look like a sissy?

#15 2004-06-16 14:59:11

shadowhunter

Hey... I am a member of the forum... I don't post much.

I use arch linux.
Simply because I think it is the best...
Now, is it so bad that I don't check the fora?

I am more active on the lq forum...

Hey... I guess I know arch linux a long time (from when it came to the lq-forum) and sticked with it ever since...

Some people rather use and learn than read...

Geert.

#16 2004-06-16 15:34:29

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

I always thought Forums were for posting...

I have posted a lot because I am old & dumb lol

but I do try to help other users if I can (some might say don't your making it worse!!!!!)

I have not made as many postings lately because I am starting to learn Linux & how to fix it for myself.... ( by searching & reading......)  wink

Its a pity because I am prepared to share what I have learnt to make it easier for others but if people do not like old timers posting  (I'm one only in age) then I will stop.... :cry:

(Vote to ban MrGreen thread to follow :twisted:)

Mr Green

Mr Green

#17 2004-06-16 17:48:50

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

the beuty of a forum is that people can choose not to read things if they want.
with freedom of speech comes the freedom to plug your ears and yell..
wink

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#18 2004-06-17 08:58:19

dpb

If the 'old-timers' would stop posting, the community would die. It's the 'old-timers' that keep it going. It's not their fault if new archers don't post so much.

The inteligence and niceness of the community was partly why I started using Arch. And the exellent convos people have on these forums is very nice to read (and sometimes post my own opinions too). The 'old-timers' are the heart of them...

Mr Green wrote:

but I do try to help other users if I can (some might say don't your making it worse!!!!!)

You're doing great work here. Definately you're not making it worse. wink

Mr Green wrote:

(Vote to ban MrGreen thread to follow :twisted:)

Where is it?  lol

-dpb

PS. :mrgreen: <-- I FOUND MR GREEN!!

#19 2004-06-17 14:47:25

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

dpb wrote:

The inteligence and niceness of the community was partly why I started using Arch.

niceness?  :shock:

#20 2004-06-17 14:48:44

sarah31
Website

me nice? pfft i gave up on that for the most part tongue

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#21 2004-06-17 15:00:18

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Yeah, look how she treated me when I joined:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=2294

niceness. Bah!

Sarah31: not many people treat me like that and still get my respect. congratulations. wink

#22 2004-06-17 15:31:20

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Ouch  lol

Mr Green

Mr Green

#23 2004-06-19 01:42:29

oldtimer

Hey, I'm an oldtimer and I intend to post, post, post!

#24 2004-06-19 02:08:44

Zephirias

Yay, Arch has finally made it into the top 20 on DistroWatch! big_smile  tongue  8)

"Technically, you would only need one time traveler convention."

#25 2004-06-19 03:19:31

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Zephirias wrote:

Yay, Arch has finally made it into the top 20 on DistroWatch!

When 0.6 was relesed Arch came to 15. Now its coming up by its own day-to-day hits .... currently this Forum is getting 100 new registered users per 2 weeks.

Markku

Board footer