me nice? pfft i gave up on that for the most part tongue

I never said EVERYONE was nice.  lol

#27 2004-06-26 09:48:25

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Membership growth of Arch forums!

leejpar wrote:

However, most of the conversation on the forums  is a few of the "old timers" chatting back and forth mostly about nothing, and quite often not even about the inital subject!

I am starting to receive complains (PMs) about the same issue.... users having difficulties to find the initial subject among personal chats. Its fun for those currently in the thread but "annoying" for later users.

As a moderator, I will let the fun go on for one week... let everyone be happy as long there is a flow, then delete or split posts to off-topic forum. Topics for cleaning will get [CLx] in subject header.

Markku

#28 2004-06-26 16:14:02

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

That's a fair option.  Basically, once a topic is dead, only relevant information needs to be stored in it.

However, the forum is not always the best place to store information.  Some relevant topics should be split to the wiki. If, in your prunings, you find topics that you think deserve a wiki page, let me know and I'll try to do it.

Dusty

#29 2004-06-26 17:21:25

dp
Website

teamwork?

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#30 2004-06-26 17:41:19

sarah31
Website

rasat wrote:
leejpar wrote:

However, most of the conversation on the forums  is a few of the "old timers" chatting back and forth mostly about nothing, and quite often not even about the inital subject!

I am starting to receive complains (PMs) about the same issue.... users having difficulties to find the initial subject among personal chats. Its fun for those currently in the thread but "annoying" for later users.

As a moderator, I will let the fun go on for one week... let everyone be happy as long there is a flow, then delete or split posts to off-topic forum. Topics for cleaning will get [CLx] in subject header.

this is a problem of not enough moderation. ther are more mods than just you rasat and they should be taking the time to either split off (most ideal), clear (censorship), or close threads (censorship) the latter two are necessary on occasion.

if you think there should be no "fun" banter then i may have to relate what happened when one of the best general linux forums became over moderated. if forum memebers do not like topics getting cluttered then they should notify a moderator that their thread is hijacked or just ask the members to get back on topic.

the problem i have is that many newcomers or rookies have the tendency to post topics that are really more off topic (by this i mean not manditory runtime issues) in catagories that should be left for direct runtime issues and not thing like prettifying their bash prompt or other such preferential runtime issues.

i am all for trying to cut topic hijacking (which is something done by all level of user and not jus oldtimers), but censoring people (unless it is to stop really bad flamewars) or telling them to leave is just not fair. i will always try and help before i hinder. i do try to have fun  though and that is NOT disallowed either.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#31 2004-06-26 21:41:43

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

sarah31 wrote:

i am all for trying to cut topic hijacking (which is something done by all level of user and not jus oldtimers),

I think its fun!

but censoring people (unless it is to stop really bad flamewars) or telling them to leave is just not fair.

There is a difference between censoring (deleting off topic posts as soon as they go off topic), and cleanup (deleting off topic posts once  the threads are no longer active).  Cleanup is all right. On the other hand, I don't really think there is a need to keep all threads, they can be deleted after about a year or so. Issues that are still pertinent after one year should definately be in official or wiki documents.

Dusty

#32 2004-06-29 15:13:11

xerxes2
Website

More whining. If it weren't for a few "oldtimers" there would not be any good answers at all in here. I think it's their right to post ot too. It's not like it's a job to help out in here. Torvalds said it him self,"just for fun" right. Maybe more newcomers can learn to know the oldtimers and eventually become new oldtimers. big_smile  big_smile

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#33 2004-06-29 20:43:32

oldtimer

Hey, I'm new and I'm an "oldtimer"!

Board footer