You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-13 13:33:51

Izobalax
Website

[SOLVED]Corrupt PekWM?

OK, this one bothers me as I like using PekWM the most but now can't.

I've managed to isolate this problem to just the PekWM session. I can't replicate it on xfce or gnome.

Basically, whenever a pop-up box opens so I can navigate my system files (this could be when choosing where to save a Firefox download, or opening up an image in GIMP...), this action causes the application to seg fault and crash (I checked the terminal outputs, it's a seg fault every time).

Obviously this makes PekWM unusable to me as I can't download, upload, save, or open any file.

The OTHER thing that's strange about this PekWM installation is that PekWM's native CmdDialog app (to run commands) doesn't execute any command. Type in a command, press Enter, nothing happens and the dialog stays open. It also doesn't register the backspace or del key.

Changing the run command app for something else, like gmrun or xfrun4, doesn't work as PekWM won't even load these run command apps.

What can I do? I want my PekWM back!

P.S. Using version 0.16

/izo\

Last edited by Izobalax (2008-07-18 17:12:17)

"Eliciting positive quotes about Apple products is a bit like asking children for their view on Christmas; whatever you hear is going to be predictable and pretty much devoid of insight." -- Bill Ray

#2 2008-07-13 15:40:02

peets
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Corrupt PekWM?

Uhm has it always done this? I don't get this behaviour.

Have you tried restoring pekwm's default settings?

mv ~/.pekwm ~/.pekwm.bak

#3 2008-07-13 18:43:19

Izobalax
Website

peets wrote:

Uhm has it always done this? I don't get this behaviour.

Have you tried restoring pekwm's default settings?

mv ~/.pekwm ~/.pekwm.bak

Hi,

PekWM's always done this since I installed Arch.

How do I restore PekWM's default settings?

/izo\

"Eliciting positive quotes about Apple products is a bit like asking children for their view on Christmas; whatever you hear is going to be predictable and pretty much devoid of insight." -- Bill Ray

#4 2008-07-14 13:19:49

Izobalax
Website

Bump? Sorry.

/izo\

#5 2008-07-16 10:23:32

Izobalax
Website

Sorry to be a pain, but I'd love to get a working PekWM again and have no idea what the cause of the problem is or how to solve it.

/izo\

#6 2008-07-16 10:36:45

Lachkater

mv ~/.pekwm ~/.pekwm.bak

Err that should restore the default settings as already mentioned.

#7 2008-07-16 13:27:21

peets
Website

I've tried CmdDialog and open/save in GIMP, both with my customised pekwm settings and the default ones. They work properly for me. Here is my setup:

~ $ pacman -Q pekwm xorg-server gtk2
pekwm 0.1.6-1
xorg-server 1.4.2-1
gtk2 2.12.11-2
~ $ cat ~/.xinitrc
exec pekwm

This might be a problem with a display manager. Try using the "startx" method to start pekwm.

Maybe looking at the pekwm mailing list will help?

#8 2008-07-17 21:58:13

Izobalax
Website

Lachkater wrote:

Err that should restore the default settings as already mentioned.

peets wrote:

I've tried CmdDialog and open/save in GIMP, both with my customised pekwm settings and the default ones. They work properly for me. Here is my setup:

~ $ pacman -Q pekwm xorg-server gtk2
pekwm 0.1.6-1
xorg-server 1.4.2-1
gtk2 2.12.11-2
~ $ cat ~/.xinitrc
exec pekwm

This might be a problem with a display manager. Try using the "startx" method to start pekwm.

Maybe looking at the pekwm mailing list will help?

Well, the goods news is that restoring the default settings gives me full functionality back! Is it perhaps, something in my start file that's causing the problem?

Here it is:

# Compositing and Rendering
xcompmgr -c -r 6 -o 0.45 -l -9 -t -7 &

# Auto-mounting drives 
gnome-volume-manager & 

# To start the GNOME settings and display background
gnome-appearance-properties %F

# The PyPanel
(sleep 1; pypanel) &

# The bmpanel + theme
#(sleep 1; bmpanel Jello) &

# The xfce panel
#(sleep 1; xfce4-panel) &

# To have visual feedback when changing the volume
osdsh & 
(sleep 1 && osdctl -m 1) &

/izo\

#9 2008-07-17 22:56:01

moljac024

You shouldn't use gnome-volume-manager. Gnome doesn't use it anymore (as of version 2.22). You could try installing the thunar-volman package and starting thunar with pekwm with this command :

thunar --daemon &

As for the appearance, you should run:

gnome-settings-daemon &

instead of whatever you have there (What's that %F for anyway ? )

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#10 2008-07-18 01:15:23

Izobalax
Website

moljac024 wrote:

You shouldn't use gnome-volume-manager. Gnome doesn't use it anymore (as of version 2.22). You could try installing the thunar-volman package and starting thunar with pekwm with this command :

thunar --daemon &

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks!

moljac024 wrote:

As for the appearance, you should run:

gnome-settings-daemon &

instead of whatever you have there (What's that %F for anyway ? )

I don't know what the %F is for. It's old and I kept using it and it worked.

See, in my previous Ubuntu installation, using the gnome-settings-daemon never worked. I always got an error. So I called up the gnome appearance dialog instead, which loaded the gtk theme, fonts and wallpaper all in one go.

I'll see if the gnome-settings-daemon works now. Thanks!

/izo\

#11 2008-07-18 12:38:31

Izobalax
Website

OK, using thunar's volman package worked. Thanks!

The Gnome-settings-daemon worked too, great! However, once again I have lost functionality with PekWM... the same problems as before.

For some reason, it would seem that PekWM is having problems with the gnome libraries or something. All I know is it's SOMETHING to do with GNOME.

/izo\

#12 2008-07-18 17:11:52

Izobalax
Website

OK, I've now solved this. I've got PekWM loading my gtk theme and fonts through using:

xfce-setting-manager &

This loads all settings I use in xfce and doesn't touch gnome.

And I set the wallpaper by installing nitrogen and using that to set the background:

nitrogen --restore &

Thanks everyone for your help! I have a PekWM desktop once again!

/izo\

#13 2008-07-18 19:49:58

peets
Website

I don't understand the point of *-settings-manager. I set my gtk theme using something like gtk2_prefs, or hand-editing ~/.gtkrc-2.0.

$ cat ~/.gtkrc-2.0
gtk-theme-name = "Rezlooks-graphite"

#14 2008-07-18 22:36:23

Izobalax
Website

peets wrote:

I don't understand the point of *-settings-manager. I set my gtk theme using something like gtk2_prefs, or hand-editing ~/.gtkrc-2.0.

$ cat ~/.gtkrc-2.0

I always used a *-settings-manager because it's been the only way I know of loading up my gtk theme, fonts and other settings like dpi, antialiasing and such.

I didn't know of gtk2_prefs.

/izo\

#15 2008-07-18 22:59:32

moljac024

peets wrote:

$ cat ~/.gtkrc-2.0

That's a drag. gnome-settings-daemon works fine without a hassle. Also, I have GNOME installed too and although I never log into it, I might sometimes and I don't want to set my themes twice.

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

Board footer