You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-13 18:58:30

vytalelementz

Flashplayer applications display no text [SOLVED]

I'm having a little trouble with flashplayer on myspace. It seems like an easy thing to resolve but I can't find any information on forums or on google about this. When I view a profile that has a music player applicaiton, the music plays just fine but for some reason there is no text to indicate the song and artist.

th.77ce164d6e.jpg

Also, when I search for an artist and go through the playlist of songs on their profile, the same thing happens.

th.9c10e46d6b.jpg

Is there something I need to install in order for the text to show up?

I use firefox 3 and 32 bit arch software. This is something that hasn't always happened. It has worked before. This all started when I decided to reinstall archlinux. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by vytalelementz (2008-07-17 02:19:17)

Best Regards,

The Vytalone

#2 2008-07-13 19:25:46

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Flashplayer applications display no text [SOLVED]

works fine here ...I use FF3 .... on 32bit ... check your plugins....

Mr Green

#3 2008-07-13 22:07:07

vytalelementz

The only ones I have enabled are adobe reader, java, mplayer, and shockwave flash. This has worked for me before I don't understand why it doesn't work when I do a complete reinstall of the os. Youtube is also affected by this. The video plays fine but at the end of the video where it suggests other related videos in the video window there is no text for the title of the videos suggested.

Last edited by vytalelementz (2008-07-13 22:29:18)

Best Regards,

The Vytalone

#4 2008-07-13 23:19:17

vytalelementz

Here is the output from running firefox from the terminal, I don't know if this helps because I can't find a clear explanation for these messages in google:

(firefox:8103): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(firefox:8103): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(firefox:8103): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_hide: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(firefox:8103): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_destroy: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(firefox:8103): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_hide: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(firefox:8103): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_destroy: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

Best Regards,

The Vytalone

#5 2008-07-15 07:24:08

babypuncher
Website

I had a similar problem once before, due to switching from the -ubuntu patched cairo/freetype/etc. packages to the official packages. Automagically fixed by changing back.

Could be related, I suppose.

#6 2008-07-16 03:45:47

vytalelementz

I tried several things and took a look at freetype with no resolution. There has to be something wrong with my text rendering for the flashplayer plugin, but I can't figure out what. If anyone has any info or know where I can go for more research on how flashplayer renders text, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by vytalelementz (2008-07-16 03:51:39)

Best Regards,

The Vytalone

#7 2008-07-16 05:02:11

jonrd

I had the same problem also.. The problem is you need arial font installed (crazy huh). I installed ttf-ms-fonts and it works fine now.

I found this out by reading http://mooshikam.wordpress.com/2008/04/ … -in-linux/

Last edited by jonrd (2008-07-16 05:33:23)

#8 2008-07-17 01:51:12

vytalelementz

Wow that worked. Thanks for the help. Something must have happened to the flashplugin package to not include the arial font software as a dependency when installing. I knew I was missing something I just didn't try installing the correct font software smile. I wander if the archlinux team is aware of this?

Best Regards,

The Vytalone

#9 2008-07-17 18:25:48

jonrd

I guess they could just make ttf-ms-fonts a dependency for flash but I dont know if they would because of the whole copyright thing. I guess they could make pacman advise you of this issue when you install flash.

#10 2008-07-18 00:49:41

vytalelementz

I just edited the wiki as a note to do so if it doesn't work proplerly.

Best Regards,

The Vytalone

Board footer