You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-15 07:18:37

aardwolf

Easy to use but nice GUI

I'd really like to be able to make GUI applications. I've got experience making OpenGL and SDL applications in C/C++, but there's some things you can't do with that.

I tried wxWidgets, but was really disappointed that you could't create floating windows inside another window with it due to the GTK using it not supporting that. However I want the applications I make to be able to have multiple documents inside them as well as floating toolbars and so on in 1 container window, WITHOUT a separate button in the taskbar for each sub-window (so, NOT like Gimp).

I found the tabbed look wxWidgets/GTK gave if trying to have multiple windows, really old-fashioned, and I don't want to make old-fashioned looking applications. It's impossible to mimic an interface like Photoshop has with it.

The reason I hate having separate taskbar buttons for floating toolbars is: there's nothing more annoying than having a painting and its toolbar, and having to click on TWO buttons in the taskbar to have both the painting and the toolbar visible after going to a browser to view something on the web. It's better if you have 1 container window with all toolbars and painting in it, it's easier for the mind and the screen, as you don't have to maintain a whole nest of separate windows to use the program. This basically to say: that's not the kind of GUI toolkit I'm looking for...

I also tried Qt, but found it somewhat more complex to program for as well as being quite a large dependency. However, if what I'd like to do it is possible with it and with nothing else I'm willing to use it anyway.

So, does there exist a GUI toolkit, for C or for C++, that is not a too large dependency (like how wxWidgets is quite small), is multiplatform (at least Windows and Linux), is open source, supports MDI using floating windows inside a container window, and would be able look as nice as e.g. Photoshop does?

Or is there anything that is at least close to this?

I don't like to have to say it, but so far it looks like Win32/MFC is quite "ok" for these requirements, except it's not multiplatform nor open source, and has had a long history hurting its interface, but is there anything open source with similar functionality?

Thanks!

Last edited by aardwolf (2008-07-15 07:31:25)

#2 2008-07-15 09:35:33

Eradest

Re: Easy to use but nice GUI

I think Qt is the way to go for you, have a look at this and see whether it provides the features you're looking for. (especially this)

#3 2008-07-15 11:52:11

XFire

Please tell me you are planning on modifying GIMP so that it acts more like PS.

There is a difference between bleeding [edge] and haemorrhaging. - Allan

#4 2008-07-15 15:48:22

iBertus

-1 for multiple document interface on linux. This reduces the programs useability to those with larger or multiple displays and is just plain ugly.

@XFire: Have you checked out gimpshop? I think it achieves the design reimplementation you desire, regardless of design meritt.

#5 2008-07-15 16:38:54

GogglesGuy
Website

#6 2008-07-16 03:10:30

Kknd
Website

iBertus wrote:

-1 for multiple document interface on linux. This reduces the programs useability to those with larger or multiple displays and is just plain ugly.

-1 too.

For me MDI that is ugly and old.

#7 2008-07-16 22:24:36

gnud

MDI is for operating systems without a proper window manager.

#8 2008-07-17 17:39:46

kumyco
Website

if you don't decide to go with qt, etc.
i'd recommend going pure gtk, instead of wxwidgets (unless it exposes the necessary interfaces)
i'm sure you don't specifically need a mdi in the strict sense
so you should be able to get by with simulating it
see: http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/stab … indow.html
esp: http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/stab … skbar-hint
       http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/stab … nsient-for

--------------
ot, ps @ general public: if you think the gimp's interface is horrible and prolly own't use it
  cos it's annoying to be switching the dialogs via the taskbar,
  it's clear you haven't actually used gimp since the days of old (circa 2.2 i believe)
  2.4+ definately had some trancient window support (default in 2.5), '<> Edit > Window Management'

#9 2008-07-21 02:06:15

dav7

Well, this isn't strictly Linux based, but very cool: Syllable is a fork of an abandoned open source OS written by a single person, kernel, task/memory/network/etc manager, GUI, API and all. Very impressive, but horribly short of developers; however, the API is quite stable and there is full OO in the GUI department. The Syllable devs plan to port the appserver (Syllable's idea of X) to the Linux framebuffer at some stage (on top of DirectFB) but that's some time away.

My point? Syllable has an awesome OOP C++ GUI API which you may have some fun developing some things with. Yes, not Linux, but still cool. And Linux support is in the pipeline anyway, so apps you write might just be able to run on Linux some day too.

-dav7

Last edited by dav7 (2008-07-21 02:06:55)

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

Board footer