You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-15 09:31:56

helander

ProAudio questions

I am new to Arch and made a fresh install yesterday. My target is to populate my system with programs like qjackctl, qsynth, zynaddsubfx, etc.

What is the preferred way to populate the system with these programs?

Without explicitly adding any references to ProAudio, but only installed "yaourt" and using "yaourt -S qjackctl, qsynth, ..." I was able to have these built and installed via some AUR.

Should I instead explicitly introduce some proaudio reference into my system and have them installed in some other way?

Is proaudio only available as AUR (sources that gets built on my system) or are there a binary repo as well?

If the files I got did not come from the proaudio repo, but from some "standard" repo, what is the difference for these packages in these respective repos?

I would be very happy for any clarifications on this subject, so that my system will be "optimal" in the sense of having used the proper install method.

/Lars

#2 2008-07-15 15:52:48

btartsa

Re: ProAudio questions

Hi Helander and welcome.
1.Really the preferred way to "populate the system" is any way involving pacman. Avoid compiling from source whenever possible. Get familiar with ABS/makepkg so you can fix PKGBUILDS or update versions yourself if needed.
2.There are proaudio apps in the offical repos,AUR,custom user repos,and a independently maintained googlegode repo. What the state of these packages is depends on a number of things...you are going to have to do some work yourself (welcome to Arch!)
3.No. See #2
4.No. See  #2
5.Yes. See #1 and #2

"Optimal" is really system and goal specific. What I mean is optimal for someone trying to record an live symphony vs. someone making basement demo tapes is quite different.

Some links:

The somewhat outdated wiki (my "fault" to a degree):

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pro_Audio

An extremely long thread in the forums:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=30547

The community maintained googlegode repo:

http://code.google.com/p/proaudio/

And of course the nearly silent IRC channel:

#archlinux-proaudio on Freenode

Hope this helps! Post up what you have for hardware....log onto #archlinux-proaudio.

Ben

#3 2008-07-15 20:16:45

helander

Hi Ben and thanks for the clarifications. I had already found the three "pages" you mention and none of them gave me a clear indication on how to act so I just wanted to make sure that here was no single way to get what I wanted smile.

I have no experience in using IRC, so if you could give me some hints on what i might be able to find at #archlinux-proaudio and possibly HOW I would go about doing that. I guess I might find detials on IRC usage elsewhere but if you could provide enough hints I will get a quicker start smile

I am using various different hardwares, a few different laptops some of them a couple of years old and I also have a mini-ITX VIA board used for running a couple of software synthesizers (zynaddsubfx and qsynth). The mini-ITX systems is headless (no monitor, no mouse, no keybd) so I use VNC (x11vnc as server) to control the box.

My main midi controller is my Korg C520 Digital Piano and I have not yet "decided" on what DAW (sequencer etc.) to use.
I plan to make use of Windows VSTi/VST:s so wine and wineasio are important components for me and possibly I would use a Windows DAW as well.

I have tried to build the latest Muse (2.x) from sources on other distros, becuase I liked the way Muse was taking, but all builds have failed for various reasons. I have not tested this on Arch yet, but I might do that some day:)

I run all my systems from USB sticks in order to easily move between different computers. That adds some to the complexity but as of know its not a major hurdle for me and the Arch installer let me do what I wanted to do without any real problems.

/Lars

#4 2008-07-15 20:41:17

btartsa

To answer your IRC question:

There are lots of different apps available. I like xchat because its easy smile
So pacman -S xchat and get on the freenode server. Join some nice channels like maybe #archlinux #archlinux-proaudio #ardour #linux etc.

Muse:

I see that the package in extra is out of date and has no maintainer. It *would* be a good thing for you to fix...should be easy version bump. Read up on ABS/makepkg in the wiki. Look into Rosegarden as well.

Your goals/hardware:

I don't mess with midi at all so I'm no help there. VNC? USB sticks?  Wine and VST? Sounds complicated smile

Good luck!

Ben

Last edited by btartsa (2008-07-15 20:41:59)

#5 2008-07-15 23:13:25

helander

Thanks Ben.

Regarding Muse (or Muse2 as it seems to be called now) I just found than an RPM is available for OpenSUSE (a very recent build), soo it could be an appropriate time to get "stable" versions. If I reacll correctly there are some significant changes between Muse version < 1 and Muse version >=2, among other things the code is now available via SVN, so getting the sources for the build is likely different. However for me as a newbie to Arch it could be a good starting point for package cooking practices. I will try to see if I can make a build and if that seems to work, the natural step would be to package it appropriately for Arch.

/Lars

#6 2008-07-16 01:08:28

btartsa

Check it out:

$pacman -Ss muse
extra/bmp-musepack 1.2-2 (bmp-plugins)
    A BMP plugin for playing sounds in Musepack (MPC) format
extra/gstreamer0.10-bad-plugins 0.10.7-1 (gstreamer0.10-plugins)
    GStreamer Multimedia Framework Bad Plugins (gst-plugins-bad)
extra/libmpcdec 1.2.6-1
    Musepack decoding library
extra/libmusepack 1.1-2
    Musepack decoding library
extra/muse 0.8.1-2
    MusE is a MIDI/Audio sequencer with recording and editing capabilities. MusE
    aims to be a complete multitrack virtual studio for Linux.
community/musepack-tools 1.15v-1
    Musepack decoder/encoder

OK. So we see muse 0.8.1-2 is in the extra repo and behold there is nobody maintaining it at the moment. So:

$pacman -S muse

and you are good to go until the package gets bumped up. I'll give it  a shot and post back up.

#7 2008-07-16 07:26:39

helander

I was able to build the most recent Muse from the SVN trunk and it started up nicely. I have yet to test it more, but there is a good start for creating an updated package for Arch. I have not yet looked for the procedure to create an Arch package but I guess it would be fairly straightforward and that documentation is available in the Wiki or elsewhere on the Arch pages.

/Lars

#8 2008-07-16 14:48:07

btartsa

I think you are making a mistake building from source on your arch machine. One of the *really nice* things about arch is pacman, and in my experience mixing source builds with pacman packages is bad news. An example:

You build app foo from source. Then you try to install an app that depends on app foo with pacman. Since foo is not under pacmans version control you get a conflict.

Anyway...the reason that muse is out of date is that it needs a patch to work with gcc43. It's a very common issue lately.

Here is the PKGBUILD file for muse:

# $Id$
# Maintainer: damir <damir@archlinux.org>

pkgname=muse
pkgver=0.8.1
pkgrel=2
pkgdesc="MusE is a MIDI/Audio sequencer with recording and editing capabilities. MusE aims to be a complete multitrack virtual studio for Linux."
arch=(i686 x86_64)
url="http://muse-sequencer.org/"
depends=('jack-audio-connection-kit' 'gcc' 'qt3' 'glibc' 'libcap' 'fluidsynth' 'jade' 'graphviz' 'libsamplerate')

source=(http://switch.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/lmuse/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz)
#        vst.cpp.diff)

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
  . /etc/profile.d/qt3.sh
# patch muse/vst.cpp < ../../vst.cpp.diff
  ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-maintainer-mode \
                            --disable-doxy-treeview \
                            --enable-optimize \
                            --enable-vst \
                            --disable-suid-build \
                            #--enable-rtcap
# sed -i 's|-fmove-all-movables||g' */*/Makefile
  make || return 1
  make prefix=$startdir/pkg/usr install
  find $startdir/pkg -name '*.la' -exec rm {} \;
}

If you have a look you see it's pretty transparent. If it was not necessary to patch it all we would have to do is change pkgver=0.8.1 to pkgver=0.9 then run makepkg. That would create the binary and we would install it with pacman -U muse-0.9-2.pkg.tar.gz

But...no patch.

Hope this helps

Ben

#9 2008-07-16 15:11:39

helander

Ben, thanks for the input.
The reason why I wanted to build from sources was just to see if the current version works at all on my system. When it comes the the version I intend to test, it is not 0.9.2 but 2.0.1. 2.0.1 is not available as a tarball dl from sf, but only via SVN. Any guides on how to automatically retrieve the source via SVN from the PKGBUILD would be helpful. From your description it seems pretty straightforward to create a proper PKGBUILD for 2.0.1 (once I know the syntax for getting the source via SVN).

I fully understand the implications of not using pacman, but as I said I just wanted to see if Muse 2.0.1 would build and run as provided my the Muse team before I went ahead and made a proper Arch package out of it.

/Lars

#10 2008-07-16 15:31:53

btartsa

Ah ok I missed the boat here (;

You need a pkgbuild to build the svn version. Those are a bit trickier...check out the wiki on that. Also maybe take a look at some svn pkgbuilds in the aur for examples. Or you could put a request up on the forums...

Ben

#11 2008-07-16 15:39:57

helander

Thanks for the advice.

/Lars

#12 2008-07-30 15:16:03

funkmuscle

anybody uses rosegarden here? Since 1.7.0, I had issues with it. For one, the synths will load but I can't edit them. I can't load soundfonts in fluidsynth-dssi, etc.
Now, with KDE4 (I'm using kdemod-kde4), I get this failure message.:
rosegarden: error while loading shared libraries: libkdecore.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory...
any help?

Board footer