You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-19 01:22:59

fflarex

need help getting audio off of a dvd...

[You can skip this paragraph if you don't need the backstory.]
So, for several weeks I've been trying to get some audio off of a DVD of mine and into a simple mp3 file. A couple days ago I found and followed this guide, and thought I had succeeded. But after a while I realized that the file I got does not play nice with my handheld mp3 player, or mpd, or mplayer, or anything whatsoever that is not gstreamer-based. MPD goes especially berserk - after playing the file, it can no longer play anything else until I reboot (yes reboot - restarting mpd doesn't fix anything). I should also mention that I'm aware that the guide is not 100% correct; I followed the advice and corrections of some commentors there too.

Anyways, I guess I need to ask for help with this. How would you go about getting audio off of a DVD?

Last edited by fflarex (2008-07-19 01:26:01)

#2 2008-07-19 01:43:35

GogglesGuy
Website

Re: need help getting audio off of a dvd...

I usually use the following command to rip a music dvd to wav:

OUTPUTDIR="/Some/Rip/Dir"
TITLE=2
FIRST_CHAPTER=1
LAST_CHAPTER=13
CHAPTER=$FIRST_CHAPTER
AUDIO_ID=128

echo "Ripping Audio..."

while [ $CHAPTER -le $LAST_CHAPTER ]; do
  let NO=$CHAPTER
  mplayer -dvd-device /dev/dvd1 dvd://$TITLE -vo null -vc null -ao pcm:waveheader:file=$OUTPUTDIR/track$NO.wav -af lavcresample=44100 -aid $AUDIO_ID -chapter $CHAPTER-$CHAPTER
  let CHAPTER=CHAPTER+1 
done

Resampling to 44100 is important since most mp3 players cannot handle 48000.

Then I have another little script that converts it to flac, sets the correct tags, and finally converts the flac to oggs as well..

Last edited by GogglesGuy (2008-07-19 01:45:06)

Board footer