You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-19 16:30:49

kasa

PolicyKit repository

Hi, archlinux community, I've been here for a while, but somehow I've never contributed anything. I'm in the process of building a policykit repository in which I will put some packages I've compiled: mainly it consists of

- policykit /consolekit
- gnome-policykit
- HAL recompiled to use policykit/consolekit
- networkmanager-svn (which will be 0.7 when it'll be released)
- a bunch of GNOME packages recompiled to use policykit authorization system

I have built them for myself and they are running on my laptop reasonably well, so I'm going to put them in a repository hoping someone will find them useful ! big_smile

So, wait just a day and you will have something to test ...

#2 2008-07-19 17:29:34

abhidg
Website

Re: PolicyKit repository

Does the policykit authentication in GNOME supersede other authentication (sudo, for example) as in Ubuntu?
Also does HAL being recompiled with policykit affect any of the existing (non-GNOME, eg Thunar, etc) packages?

#3 2008-07-19 18:40:42

damjan

What exactly does PolicyKit do and how?

#4 2008-07-19 19:05:20

abhidg
Website

#5 2008-07-19 20:08:30

kasa

abhidg wrote:

Does the policykit authentication in GNOME supersede other authentication (sudo, for example) as in Ubuntu?

Nope. All it does is, for example, ask for admin password in if you want to change system time from GNOME panel, or in case you want to stop the system when more users are logged in. I'm still using sudo form administration stuff.

abhidg wrote:

Also does HAL being recompiled with policykit affect any of the existing (non-GNOME, eg Thunar, etc) packages?

Don't know, I don't have thunar installed, will check if possible. As far as I understand it, HAL with policykit gives policies for: wake on lan, storage mounting / unmounting, and power management.
The default policies are fairly permissive, practically you can do everything except mount filesystems from internal drives (ie. WIN partition) which requires admin authorization (the policykit window should pop-up when you try to mount it)

#6 2008-07-20 14:37:18

kasa

Ok, here it is:

[policykit]
Server = http://kasa.tuxfamily.org/arch/i686

giving

# pacman -S networkmanager-svn

should install pretty much everything there is ATM, but let me know of any glitches...;)
Please be aware of the fact that I have one testing machine only, so it works for me, but YMMV.

#7 2008-07-20 15:41:17

abhidg
Website

kasa wrote:

Ok, here it is:

[policykit]
Server = http://kasa.tuxfamily.org/arch/i686

giving

# pacman -S networkmanager-svn

should install pretty much everything there is ATM, but let me know of any glitches...;)
Please be aware of the fact that I have one testing machine only, so it works for me, but YMMV.

Are the packages compiled against testing?

I think it's better to rename hal to hal-policykit (or sth like that) and add a conflicts
with hal, so that there's no confusion with the hal from the official repositories.
Also, is there some place from where I can get the PKGBUILDs?

#8 2008-07-21 13:00:20

kasa

abhidg wrote:

Are the packages compiled against testing?

No.

abhidg wrote:

I think it's better to rename hal to hal-policykit (or sth like that) and add a conflicts
with hal, so that there's no confusion with the hal from the official repositories.

HAL was compiled with a minor pkgver (1.4), so if the devs upgrade the main package, this should trigger a package upgrade, effectively letting me know that I have to upgrade MY package, but I guess I could just upload my PKGBUILD on the AUR

abhidg wrote:

Also, is there some place from where I can get the PKGBUILDs?

Everything (except HAL) should be on AUR. I'll try to upload HAL-policykit when I come back home.

#9 2008-08-03 21:17:04

imachine
Website

is this still necessary? I've seen policykit and gnome-policykit in aur...

also, how about arch64?

Last edited by imachine (2008-08-06 08:11:37)

a nail that sticks out, is hammered down.
aha.

#10 2008-08-16 07:53:12

kasa

Back from holidays, I've just updated the repo.
I've included GDM, gnome-panel and gnome-applets built supporting PolicyKit / ConsoleKit

@imachine:
Sorry, i can't compile arch64 packages at the moment, but all the packages are in AUR, so you can try for yourself.

#11 2008-08-23 23:03:25

imachine
Website

http://archlinux.org/packages/testing/i686/policykit/

Policykit seems to have made it onto official repos; we'll see how well it goes, but afaik it's been pulled in because "next gnome version requires policykit" so we'll probably see these packages in official repos as soon as next gnome hits them.... might be worth to get in touch with the developers maybe, so there will be no duplicated work.

cheers!

a nail that sticks out, is hammered down.
aha.

#12 2008-09-16 15:13:57

baze

policykit from testing and kasa's packages seem to be incompatible: policykit from testing won't work with policykit-gnome from kasa's repository, but polkit-gnome is missing in testing. unfortunately it won't work with a self-built polkit-gnome package (PKGBUILD from AUR) either. policykit-auth-reader-helper needs to have setgid 102 is what i get, when i open the authorizations configuration editor in a terminal.

Board footer