You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-19 20:44:11

nilsHaus

[SOLVED] login issues

I'm getting very long login times (very long from when I input username and password and to when X boots up). First of all the first line after hitting return is "Hostname: unknown host" even though its written in rc.conf and its given at the initial bash username prompt. Second of all, I get

xauth: timeout in locking authority file /home/username/.serverauth.####
xauth: timeout in locking authority file /home/username/.Xauthority
xauth: timeout in locking authority file /home/username/.Xauthority

I have a feeling this might have to do with the way ssh is setup. I regularly ssh -X into this machine from a Mac, and a recent OS X update left X11 kind of broken. Then again, I only changed .sshd settings so I don't see how the two issues are related, just that the original ssh problems I was having were due to X authentication (eventually I changed some setting so that authentication was 'spoofed' and that was fine)

Thanks for any help,

nils

p.s. I had been having trouble before when I setup my login name to always start up X as soon as a user logged in (So runlvl 3 until a username and password was provided, then start up X)--I couldn't get it to not open X at login, no amount of uncommenting the lines in .xsession or .xinit (I forget specifically where I was supposed to go) but It was never really a big problem so I never took care of it.

Last edited by nilsHaus (2008-08-13 03:13:16)

#2 2008-07-19 21:37:28

Barrucadu
Website

Re: [SOLVED] login issues

Is the hostname you specified also in your /etc/hosts file for 127.0.0.1? That sounds like the kind of problem that emerges when it isn't.

#3 2008-07-21 16:24:55

nilsHaus

Re: [SOLVED] login issues

i'll try, thanks.

Board footer