You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-20 08:31:57

virati

Arch Install - Stuck in GRUB

I downloaded the latest arch iso and burned it to a cd. When trying to boot off of the cd however I'm left in grub and it doesn't go ahead and load up the arch kernel. I'm not too familiar with grub so I have no idea what to do to actually get the cd to boot into bash allowing me to go ahead with setup. I havn't had this problem before.

I am installing arch over another installation; I just got a new motherboard and processor so technically I think grub is still in the MBR and maybe that's where I'm encountering problems? Although my primary harddisk is/always has been Windows and I've already reinstalled windows (theoretically replacing grub with the windows alternative).

Any help? The old cd (I burned it in May) still loads up fine but I'd rather install with the latest core packages. Thanks.

#2 2008-07-20 12:13:23

Raisuli

Re: Arch Install - Stuck in GRUB

Have you checked the BIOS boot order of your hard drives?

#3 2008-07-20 12:59:14

floke

For the amount of time you might spend on this you could have just -Syu'd up to the new core packages anyway.
Do you get to the menu? Do you get any error messages?

#4 2008-07-20 15:15:07

mbender

For me it sounds like this issue:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=51348
If it is the same problem (which seems to be a problem with grub and certain optical drives) you can just use an older installation cd.

Hope this solves your problem.

Board footer