You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-20 13:12:36

Basu
Website

Native language support for trees/graphs

I was wondering if there was any language that had native structure representing trees and graphs. I know Lisp and the like have lists as a basic structure and that lots of languages have libraries which provide the required structures, but i'm looking for something with pure native support.

The Bytebaker -- Computer science is not a science and it's not about computers
Check out my open source software at Github

#2 2008-07-20 18:38:01

drakosha
Website

Re: Native language support for trees/graphs

What do you mean by "pure native support"? I.e. lists, sets, maps, etc are supported in C++ by STL which is a library. Anyway, every modern OO language user defined types behave the same as "ready" types, so i think your quest is meaningless.

#3 2008-07-20 21:48:48

catwell
Website

You can implement graphs in many, many ways, it depends on what you want to use them for. That's why the choice is left to the programmer. An easy and basic means to do it in Python and probably other languages is using dictionaries of "neighbour vertexes", which can be done without loading any module.

If what you're searching is a general use language that implements a specific graph structure, I don't think there's any, and I would find that awkward.

#4 2008-07-21 00:38:40

dav7

As I read this, I immediately thought "Rhope". As a random guess, it may be what you want, it may not. Rhope is a dataflow language that is in its early stages of development. I haven't tried it myself but have read a bit about it, and it looks like one of the many projects that have a lot of potential.

-dav7

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

Board footer