You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-21 22:09:14

rsambuca

Re-compiled VLC to enable PVR function

Hi,  brand new arch user here.  I just installed this weekend and have been trying to set things up to my liking.  I had to recompile VLC with the '--enable-pvr' option so I can watch TV using my Hauppauge 150pvr card.  All I did was copy the PKGBUILD and install files for vlc from the existing abs tree into a new directory in my home folder.  I just added the --enable-pvr option, and changed the pkgver to '2' from '1'.  Followed the rest of the instructions from the wiki.  Things seemed to work, vlc now has the pvr function and I can watch TV again. 

The problem now is that when I try to run 'pacman -Syu', it wants to change vlc back to the original version 1.  I keep saying no, but how do I stop this and make my version the permanent one?  Also, can I delete all of the unpacked files from the vlc tarball in my /home/myname/abs/vlc folder that I created?

#2 2008-07-21 22:12:37

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Re-compiled VLC to enable PVR function

Welcome to the forums.

For the first question, add this line to your /etc/pacman.conf file. I put it under the HoldPkg line for cleanness:

IgnorePkg = vlc

For the second, you can delete all of the files from building the package.

Last edited by skottish (2008-07-21 22:13:03)

#3 2008-07-21 22:40:33

rsambuca

Thanks for the quick response skottish.  That seems to have done the trick.  I'll have to go through the manuals in more detail when I have the time so I can figure out what I actually did!!

#4 2008-07-22 05:51:24

dolby

Alternatively, and better IMO you can make a custom repo and move it on top of your /etc/pacman.conf repo list.
See the wiki on how to do that and the repo-add command

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#5 2008-07-23 02:29:37

rsambuca

Thanks dolby.  I will look into doing this, especially as I add more custom packages over time.

Board footer