You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-17 19:42:39

iotc247
Website

Move arch to new hd

Is there a way i can move my current install to a new hd and seperate the /home dir to a new partition.. If this has been discuesed and i think it has plz give the link i couldnt find the topic..

#2 2004-06-17 20:05:19

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: Move arch to new hd

I did something like this with LFS once.   Just tar up the root of your current hard drive and untar it to the new drive. You can tar the home directory and untar it to a (mounted) partition as well, then remove the original home directory, then mount the new partition as /home.

I think. backups would be a good idea before doing such tasks. wink

Dusty

#3 2004-06-17 20:08:51

iotc247
Website

Could you give me the commands so i can keep the same permissions...

#4 2004-06-17 20:36:00

kakabaratruskia

this guy has had this post alive telling everything ebout how he managed to copy arch to another HD. Don't know if it helps, but reading it won't hurt.
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=4329

And where were all the sportsmen who always pulled you though?
They're all resting down in Cornwall
writing up their memoirs for a paper-back edition
of the Boy Scout Manual.

#5 2004-06-17 20:48:41

colnago

You have to be root to tar it up and the permissions will be preserved (tar -jcvf hd.tar.bz2 /).   Make sure to edit /etc/fstab for the new drive and chroot to it and run lilo (or configure and install grub) before switching things.   I would do all of this from a boot distro like knoppix.  Then you can mount both your new and old drives and "cd /mnt/hda1; tar -jcvf /mnt/hdb1/hd.tar.bz2 ./".  That assumes hda was the old drive and hdb is the new one and that partiton 1 is the one to movecreate.  Of course you could just copy everything over too, since both drives are just sitting there (cp -r --preserve=all /mnt/hda1/* /mnt/hdb1/).  If you have multiple partitions, you need to do it once for each using these methods.  Look around, I am sure there is a cool way to do this using dd.  I think you have to watch it when you are using the tar method and you have booted from the disk, as the virtual file systems are not needed and you don't want to create files in their place and all your partitions are visible in /, so you will, in effect, concatinate everything..

#6 2004-06-17 20:53:43

iotc247
Website

thanks.. I just added a few --excludes= so i can do seperate boot and home partitions.. this will be great thanks...

Board footer