You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-23 20:39:45

Gullible Jones

Can I make Firefox/Gecko on Linux look like IE on Windows?

Quoeth the obnoxious "Big Easy Button"-toting Staples website, as I tried to apply for a job...

Unsupported Web Browser or Operating System
To ensure all functions of the Staples application perform correctly, you may not apply online using an unsupported web browser or operating system. Please see the list of supported web browsers and operating systems below – you may not continue with the application in an unsupported browser and/or operating system.
You must also have JavaScript enabled and an Internet connection at 56 kbps or higher. For more information on enabling JavaScript, see your browser's Help.
Supported Web Browsers:

* Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.x
    * Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x (Click here to download the latest IE browser)
    * Netscape Navigator 7.x (Click here to download the latest Netscape browser)

Please note that "beta" versions of web browsers are not supported. If you are an AOL user, please complete your application with an alternate supported browser after you have opened your AOL network connection.

Supported Operating Systems:

* Windows 98
    * Windows 2000
    * Windows XP

I was fortunately able to apply on a Windows machine (using Firefox - take that, Staples!); but if a corporation such as Staples is willing to use this kind of annoying platform blocking, I'm liable to encounter it in the future. So how do I make Firefox or Epiphany look like IE (or Netscape) on Windows, so that I can avoid this garbage?

#2 2008-07-23 20:53:39

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Can I make Firefox/Gecko on Linux look like IE on Windows?

You can try this. It definitely works in some places.:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59

#3 2008-07-23 20:53:58

somedrew

The 'user agent switcher' add-on for firefox will work for some sites. It only changes the user agent though, so it won't work for all.
cheers,

#4 2008-07-23 20:55:05

iBertus

I think if you search the extension list you'll find something to change the user agent string sent to websites bt firefox.

#5 2008-07-24 18:00:01

ThomasBisset
Website

Or, you could just avoid them. I know it sounds sarcastic but if they start losing custom because of this kind of laziness they'll eventually take note.
[/Rebel Mode]

#6 2008-07-24 18:47:54

dunc

Well, they're not exactly losing custom since it's a job application, but in priciple I'm with Thomas. There's no excuse for locking out non-MS browsers these days (if there ever was). Hell, my bank is completely unconcerned about me using Konqueror; why should Staples be so fussy?

There is something strangely satisfying in getting round these restrictions, though. "Not supported, eh? I'll show you what's not supported, you CENSOREDs." mad

0 Ok, 0:1

Board footer