You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-18 14:01:27

sykotik

dhcpcd not running on boot

Everytime I reboot my computer I have a problem with my ethernet connection, through ifoncfig it shows that eth0 is up and I have a valid ip address, but the internet is still unavailable.  In order for me to reach the intenert i have to run dhcpcd.  Usually if dhcpcd is running already and you try to use it again you get some "dhcpcd is already running" type of error.  I would think dhcpcd was already running since I was assigned a valid IP address, but I get no dhcpcd error, thus dhcpcd is not running when I boot.

Im wondering how I can fix this since I thought it was default to run dhcpcd on boot up.

#2 2004-06-18 14:42:04

mattux

Re: dhcpcd not running on boot

try :
su -                      (become root)
ENTER PASSWORD
killall -9 dhpcd      (kill dhcp-daeomon)
rm -Rf /etc/dhcpc/*  (delete cache files of the dhcp-daemon)
dhcpcd               (start the dhcp-daemon)
ping archlinux.org   (test internet)
exit (become user)

hope this help you
mattux

#3 2004-06-18 14:48:48

sykotik

sykotik<----tire, let me rephrase.

When I boot into my wm I do not have a connection to the internet.  Upon further inspection, via ping trough console, I see that cant get to websites either way(basically checking to see if firefox was bombing out).  So i used ifconfig to check up eth0 was up and running, and it was and had a valid IP adresses for my home network.  I then typed in dhcpcd, a slight pause and it brings me back to my root prompt. Woot. I now have a connection.

The problem is occuring when, 1) dhcpcd is not automatically running, thought it auto ran, 2) I run dhcpcd and get no 'dhcpcd error' message, meaning dhcpcd is in fact not currently running.

Hope that clears it up for you, sorry for the sloppy post, but im very tired lol

#4 2004-06-18 15:50:22

wdemoss

It's not default on an install for dhcp to run at boot. In rc.conf you have to edit the eth0 property and set it to eth0="dhcp". Then try and reboot. Should work.

-wd

Hobbes : Shouldn't we read the instructions?
Calvin : Do I look like a sissy?

#5 2004-06-19 01:36:37

sykotik

Doh!

TY

Board footer