You are not logged in.

#176 2008-07-31 00:32:21

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: On the road to KDE 4.1

MONODA wrote:

so how have people found kde 4 to be?

It's fine. Very pretty, too. My nvidia card needed a little tweaking, but now all is cool

does it work well?

Yes, it does.

Have you experienced any crashes with any apps?

Nope.

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#177 2008-07-31 02:28:05

crouse
Arch Linux f@h Team Member
Website

Allan wrote:
crouse wrote:

At first glance I had thought I didn't want to run kde4, and might switch to a different WM.  I prefer KDE though, and after using it now for a day, I have to say it IS an improvement. The ability to search for programs in the "start menu" itself makes it worth it for me. Simply typing the first few letters of a program brings up a menu list of options...... very very cool.

That is in Vista too...  big_smile

ROFLMAO, wouldn't know, I NEVER use windows tongue  LOL

#178 2008-07-31 06:51:02

MONODA

thanks a lot dhave, I probably wont be using the desktop effects if I decide to update my system. Anyway, what kde apps are not available under kde 4? and can I run those kde 3 apps (such as amarok) under kde 4? thanks.

#179 2008-07-31 07:42:00

jaenz
Website

You wont have kaffeine, k3b, amarok, koffice in the -> kde 4 <- version... kde4-versions are in development and look pretty awesome. And yes, you're able to use kde3-apps - but they dont fit into the kde4-design smile

the most important app >ktron< is NOT yet available, too. so that might shock you big_smile

#180 2008-07-31 08:47:44

Heller_Barde

for all ppl liking kde3 but wanting to transition to kde4:
I've spent the last few days helping the kdemod ppl out and we rebuilt all the kdemod3 packages and are very close to finally getting kde3 to run flawlessly along with an installed kde4.
there was some startkde-patching involved and now there is one minor problem with the .kde/.kde4 folders remaining. but we'll get to it.
so soon you will be able to install kde4 besides kdemod3 and have a smooth transitioning period.
please be patient. thanks very much. btw check this thread for updates on this:
http://www.kdemod.ath.cx/bbs/viewtopic.php?id=892

Cheers Heller Barde
PS: its not ready right at this moment!

#181 2008-07-31 09:47:35

Chrysalis

As i understand it whatever you chose to do youll still have to uninstall kdemod and that theres no other way around it, am i right?

edit:
By 'smooth transition' do you mean from kdemod(3) to kdemod(4)/kdemod3?  Or just installing kdemod(4) besides kdemod3?

Last edited by Chrysalis (2008-07-31 09:53:59)

#182 2008-07-31 10:24:57

mutlu_inek

This thread really is out of control. It should be there for KDE4.1 in extra and problems with it. So it should be posted if there are packaging bugs, major crashed, data loss, problems with adapting to the new environment and what not. Open a rant thread in 'Off topic' or 'Linux discussion.'

Why don't all the people with questions regarding KDEmod go to their forums? There are a number of posts from the devs over there that explain all questions and they are very friendly and will answer all new questions. You can find them here: http://kdemod.ath.cx/bbs/

As far as stability of the new KDE goes, I have yet to experience any crashes. Akregator is a little flaky, it forgot its view settings twice so far. Nothing grave. smile All in all it is fast, pretty and much more functional due to the improvements in many applications.

Last edited by mutlu_inek (2008-07-31 10:26:12)

#183 2008-07-31 11:26:03

Heller_Barde

mutlu_inek wrote:

Why don't all the people with questions regarding KDEmod go to their forums? There are a number of posts from the devs over there that explain all questions and they are very friendly and will answer all new questions. You can find them here: http://kdemod.ath.cx/bbs/

I agree.

As i understand it whatever you chose to do youll still have to uninstall kdemod and that theres no other way around it, am i right?
edit:
By 'smooth transition' do you mean from kdemod(3) to kdemod(4)/kdemod3?  Or just installing kdemod(4) besides kdemod3?

1. yes, but it's not big a deal. lets discuss this on the kdemod forums. (you have to install the new packages if you want kde4 beside it, because the old packages break when kde4 is installed besides it. there are pkg conflicts and general huge kde-related breakage)
2. with smooth transition i mean that while kde4 is going through its unfinished state, you can still work with the wonderful kde3 and hop to kde4 once in a while to check up on it wink

cheers Heller Barde

#184 2008-07-31 12:28:05

Chrysalis

I was under the impression (i could be wrong) that every other attempt to start a kde related thread was quickly hammered down and pointed to here so i don't think anyone has the right to complain of it going "off topic". Anyway, i will leave now...

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question Heller Barde.

#185 2008-07-31 12:36:23

mutlu_inek

Does Kopete work for anyone? I hadn't used it until today. I migrated the old KDE3 settings and fired it up. Contacts were there, but my accounts were lost. I added them and everything worked well. But after a restart of the application, the contacts were lost and Kopete keeps freezing on me. It could be an issue with the imported settings. Does anyone use the new Kopete?

Edit: yep, getting rid of the settings which contain the contacts restored its functionality. All accounts are there, too. smile

Now I only need to get Google Talk working. Doesn't seem to work with the settings I used months ago in KDE3. Any hints?

Last edited by mutlu_inek (2008-07-31 12:41:06)

#186 2008-07-31 12:36:42

Snarkout

I just want to say thanks to both the Arch devs as well as the kdemod devs.  If I wanted 4.1 I'd be really happy that the devs (dev?) had delivered it so quickly.  Since I don't (yet) I'm very happy that the kdemod guys have stepped up to the task of maintaining kde3.  Once again, a huge thanks to both of them! smile

Obviously, yes, in a perfect world both packages would be maintained, and there would have been lengthy discussion leading up to the merging of the kde4 code into extra.  This is one of the very few downsides to running Arch - you have to keep your ear to the ground, and you have to be very aware of what pacman is doing.  Oh, and as far as new changes go and the level of "BEING FORCED DOWN OUR THROAAAAAAAAAAAAAATS" posts versus "SUX 2 U - YOU'RE ALL A BUNCH OF WHINERS" posts go, this isn't *anything* compared to devfs > udev.  Now, THAT was epic.

Last edited by Snarkout (2008-07-31 12:39:13)

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#187 2008-07-31 12:42:40

mutlu_inek

Snarkout wrote:

this isn't *anything* compared to devfs > udev.  Now, THAT was epic.

True, that was a real battle. lol

#188 2008-07-31 13:16:18

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Chrysalis wrote:

I was under the impression (i could be wrong) that every other attempt to start a kde related thread was quickly hammered down and pointed to here so i don't think anyone has the right to complain of it going "off topic". Anyway, i will leave now...

Generic "I hate KDE4" threads have been squashed and pointed to this thread, yes, but if you take a look around you'll find many KDE4-related threads with specific issues mentioned.

#189 2008-07-31 14:59:44

mutlu_inek

mutlu_inek wrote:

Now I only need to get Google Talk working.

Ahh... it needs the ssl check box to be checked.

#190 2008-07-31 16:02:05

Back2Cali

I just wanted to say thanks to the Arch Team for the quick release of KDE4.1. You guys did beat Debian which (believe it or not) had KDE4 packages before they were available in Gentoo as far as I know.
I just went through a couple of threads in the forum and really don't understand all the whining about the quick release. The new KDE is simply awesome from what I've seen so far. And thinking about all the new possibilities makes me really looking forward to future improvements and releases! Other some of the people here, I think it was a smart move to be a part of this bright future of KDE4. Personally I would bet that most of the people complaining now are coming back and be grateful to have all these new things possible once everything is ported. And I have now idea how some can be that kind of close minded to put some not necessary missing fine-tuning settings like panel hiding, into such a high level of importance, so they would rather be limited with the old design, than be exited about the new possibilities!
Again Thanks to the Arch Team for the release and the really easy updating process that was possible because of their effort! smile

#191 2008-07-31 19:59:42

sputter
Website

skottish wrote:

I remember the last big Gnome update. Yikes!

Oh man I remember that one, I was a gnome user back then til I moved to XFCE and my wife wanted kde for her DE.  Im gonn ah ave nightmares tonight, thank you

#192 2008-07-31 21:31:52

cromo

brynjolf wrote:

Anyone figured out howto apply global shortcuts to applications? I added a shortcut in menu editor but nothing happens.

I am also wondering about it. This seems to be a bug?

#193 2008-08-01 11:42:09

Inkaine

I want to express a big "Thank you" to the packagers and maintainers for providing KDE4.1 on the day of the release. I had switched over to Arch about 6 weeks ago because of two recommendations and several distro comparisions. I must say, after this short time I can already say I'm perfectly happy with this move. I wanted a generally stable, but mainly bleeding-edge distro. And that it is.

I have already read tons of threads about people complaining when certain packages (e.g. wine or the graphics drivers) don't get released within a day or two. Now here we have a huge thread (one among several) complaining about what I had just expected of Arch. roll Even I have already found out how to "backport" packages using ABS. Should be possible with KDE too.

What concerns me most sadly is the demand attitude many people show here. I want this and expect that of the developers. If you expect so much, than make a distro yourself or at least help the devs. This is not Ubuntu, Suse, RedHat, which are provided by commercial enterprises. I personally am more than thankful for the work of the maintainers and developers. Great job!

A happy fairly new Arch user.

#194 2008-08-01 13:29:25

chromatic

Maybe it's not the appropriate place but I want to tell that I become really bored by all the kde4 posts everywhere on the board. I understand that it's normal to be disapointed by all the changes and features missing for a kde3 users. Nothing wrong in asking questions and sharing experience, but seriously it seems to me that people doesn't made any effort to find the informations, they just post waiting for other to do the jobs for them.

Here are some ressources on the web :

- KDE 4.2 feature plan for the missing feature you'll see in next release
http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.2_Feature_Plan.
- The KDE wiki
http://techbase.kde.org/Welcome_to_KDE_TechBase
- The KDE forum. More appropriate for kde question that are not related to the arch packages themself I think.
http://www.kde-forum.org/
- For information about the development
http://dot.kde.org/ and http://planetkde.org/
- And the one every kde users much use (abuse?) to report bugs (and possibly find answers to current problems) for a better experience in next release.
http://bugs.kde.org/
- For people who want to stick with kde3
http://www.kdemod.ath.cx/

Also google is your friend.

Things you can't find on the web :
- The curiosity of a child who click everywhere and try things.
- The sastification of finding an answer by yourself or at least to try.
- Something against lazyness.
- A brain (i'm kidding).

I think with this ressources you can mostly find answers. And you know what ? with a bit of imaganition, you can adapt this to others things not only related to kde or computher things. Enjoy the life !

Personnaly I don't even use kde myself lol.

Last edited by chromatic (2008-08-01 13:41:00)

#195 2008-08-01 18:12:27

foggybrain

After previously slaging off kde4.1 I have warmed to it over the past couple of days.

All I can say to people is stick with it and check out the kde and kdemod forums for problem solving. Now that kde4.1 has been brought to the front, many more people are using/trying it and the bugs are getting identified and fixed.

Remember, half the fun of linux is fixing it !!!

#196 2008-08-01 19:19:28

lynix47

Well I personally can't understand why you devs put such an unusable desktop environment in a non-testing repo:
As far as I know (five weeks testing the daily svn of kde 4.1 were enough; I use fluxbox at the moment) the qt4-printing-bug is still unsolved and if you own a FritzBox as router (which is quite common, at least in Germany) you have these dns issues and can't even browse the web without switching to static IPs or freezing your resolv.conf.
So if you owned a working KDE3 you are now forced to upgrade to a desktop environment in which you can't even print* or visit your favourite website** (archlinux.org wink ).

I don't hate the new KDE and I don't think the KDE project needs a fork, but why don't you use the testing repo? I mean this whole upgrade procedure would surely be a lot of work for you maintainers even if it was stable, so why did you do it with such an unstable one?

Nevertheless thank you for your work, I love this distro smile

Kind regards,

lynix47

* using an application that uses the qt4-dialog
** e.g. using Konqueror

#197 2008-08-01 20:00:10

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

lynix47 wrote:

I don't hate the new KDE and I don't think the KDE project needs a fork, but why don't you use the testing repo?

Well, in short, because it's not what the testing repo is designed for - stuff is not supposed to live there long-term.  That doesn't stop the devs from creating a new repo specifically for KDE 4.1, but then that effectively doubles the work of the KDE dev (Pierre in this case), who has to now maintain both 4.1 and 3.5.x.  The dev team's goal was always to replace 3.5 with 4, and not maintain them in parallel.

Besides that, nobody's forcing you to update.  People have documented what you can put in IgnorePkg and IgnoreGroup in /etc/pacman.conf to avoid the update for the time being, and KDEMod exists - the devs certainly haven't left you completely without options here.  I mean, heck, if you don't run pacman -Syu, then you'll stay at KDE 3.5.9 forever.

ArchLinux was always designed to be a bleeding-edge distro, with the newest and greatest apps.  I hate to keep pulling this out, but it's run by volunteers, and the simple fact that somebody downloaded and installed Arch doesn't make the developers obligated to cater to that person.  The devs felt it was time for KDE 4.1, so they packaged it and made it available for those who wanted to replace KDE 3.5.9 - if you don't like it, well, sorry. 

In short, the developers make Arch into their vision of a 'perfect distro' and are kind enough to share this vision via installers and ISOs. If you share that vision, great!  If you don't, we're not forcing you to stay - feel free to try something else.

#198 2008-08-01 21:16:31

Pierre
Developer
Website

lynix47 wrote:

Well I personally can't understand why you devs put such an unusable desktop environment in a non-testing repo:
As far as I know (five weeks testing the daily svn of kde 4.1 were enough; I use fluxbox at the moment) the qt4-printing-bug is still unsolved and if you own a FritzBox as router (which is quite common, at least in Germany) you have these dns issues and can't even browse the web without switching to static IPs or freezing your resolv.conf.
So if you owned a working KDE3 you are now forced to upgrade to a desktop environment in which you can't even print* or visit your favourite website** (archlinux.org wink ).

Have you ever tested KDE 4.1.0? Both issues are fixed. I have got a FritzBox myself and need printing. I am not that insane I put something to extrqa or even testing that does not work for me. Well, okular has a bug with printing some pdfs and the last page is not printed. But that wasn't a showstopper for me; there are enough alternative pdf viewers.

#199 2008-08-01 21:33:17

z0phi3l

lynix47 wrote:

I don't hate the new KDE and I don't think the KDE project needs a fork, but why don't you use the testing repo? I mean this whole upgrade procedure would surely be a lot of work for you maintainers even if it was stable, so why did you do it with such an unstable one?

Nevertheless thank you for your work, I love this distro smile

Kind regards,

lynix47

* using an application that uses the qt4-dialog
** e.g. using Konqueror

Just because it might not work for you and your hardware doesn't mean it's unusable, I find KDE4 to be completely usable and better running than KDE4, but I realize that's just me, so I don't run around claiming KDE4 to be "The Best DE", and neither should you be claiming it's unusable if it's only you

#200 2008-08-01 21:34:59

lynix47

@Cerebral:

I think you understood me wrong, or maybe I didn't explain myself correctly smile
I completely agree with you: Arch is the dev's Distro and they give us the pleasure to benefit from their work. So if they decide to put 4.1 in now it's their decision and if I don't like this nobody forces me to use it.
But Arch declines itself as a distro with strong focus on the community, and as a (maybe rather unimportant) part in the community I just wanted to express my opinion. Perhaps nobody else shares it with me, perhaps hundreds of arch users do. In the latter case maybe this could make the devs think about it - maybe not. I don't want to argue with them or accuse them for anything - I just wanted to understand why they decided to put 4.1 in.
Just like I don't need to use Arch, there's no need for the devs to like my opinion smile  I just wanted to let them know that there's another one who wonders about this decisions. Maybe they like to explain their decisions, and if not, it's okay, they can do with their distro whatever they want.

Kind regards,

lynix47

Board footer