You are not logged in.

#201 2008-08-01 21:51:09

lynix47

Re: On the road to KDE 4.1

z0phi3l wrote:

Just because it might not work for you and your hardware doesn't mean it's unusable, I find KDE4 to be completely usable and better running than KDE4, but I realize that's just me, so I don't run around claiming KDE4 to be "The Best DE", and neither should you be claiming it's unusable if it's only you

I do not own a FritzBox. I don't run around, claiming it to be rubbish. I just think that it is not ready for daily use yet, and despite the fact that arch is a bleeding-edge-distro I think it is too buggy. If noone else is of this opinion - great! Because then 99.999% of the community likes the dev's decision and I think this is nerly perfect.
But if you read around in the web or the official bugtracker you will see that it's not only me who is of this opinion. In our local KDE user group for example (~150 members) there is noone who would recommend 4.1 for a non-testing environment.

Kind regards,

lynix

#202 2008-08-02 01:50:17

Allan
Pacman
Website

I am getting really frustrated with this thread....

This thread is for discussing the upgrade process for KDE4.1.  I.e. post should mention specific problems you are having and ways to fix it.  General, KDE4.1 is broken posts are a waste of space and time.  We know some people don't like this, and you have been provided with ways of staying with KDE3.5 throughout the course of this and other threads.

STAY ON TOPIC

#203 2008-08-04 11:33:32

firewalker

Some things I noticed (or I couldn't find) with some hours of use.

- No Run in terminal window and Run as different user (and some other things) tor the Run menu (Alt + F2).
- Nvidia driver (propitiatory) glitches.
- Processor (Pentium 4 @ 2.4 GHz, 768 ram) over 40 % (40 ~ 65 %) when effects are enabled (maybe Nvidia drivers...).
- PrintScreen key doesn't launch ksnapshot.
- ARK doesn't work properly.

Γίνε ρεαλιστής, μείνε ονειροπόλος ...

#204 2008-08-04 12:04:26

ralvez
Website

firewalker,

In all mi installations Alt + F2 gives me the run command, I can only guess that something is not properly installed in your system.
NVidia is known to have issues, I have one system with one of those cards but haven bothered to spent time with it for now, so I cannot be of much help there.
I have a system very much like yours (P4, 2.0GHz and 1G ram) and with all effects enabled, Firefox open, conky, gkrellm, pidgin and Amarok running I have the CPU oscillating between 3% and 7%. Use Ctrl + ESC to see what's running in your system and taking so much CPU cycles. (Optionally you can use top or htop on the console to get the same info).
Your are absolutely right about print screen, however, you can run it by issuing "ksnapshot" (either with Alt+F2, which is not working for you or via the CLI). I think the binding between the program and the key is not established and hopefully will be fixed in one of the upcoming updates.

Last edited by ralvez (2008-08-04 12:06:49)

#205 2008-08-04 12:48:08

attila

firewalker wrote:

- Processor (Pentium 4 @ 2.4 GHz, 768 ram) over 40 % (40 ~ 65 %) when effects are enabled (maybe Nvidia drivers...).

Try to disable vsync as described here http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=52182. Perhaps it solves for you too.

#206 2008-08-04 12:52:57

gmhafiz
Website

firewalker wrote:

- PrintScreen key doesn't launch ksnapshot.

my printscreen key launches ksnapshot

#207 2008-08-04 13:05:25

firewalker

ralvez,

Alt+F2 gives me the run command; the two options I mentioned isn't there. Maybe they are going to add them later, or I cold find a way to enable them.

attila,

I made those changes an the proccessor is now on 20%. Disabling effects it goes to 2 ~ 6 %...

gmhafiz,

My PrintScreen key doesn't do anything.

I am testing a fresh ArchLinux install with KDE 4.

Γίνε ρεαλιστής, μείνε ονειροπόλος ...

#208 2008-08-04 15:42:46

attila

firewalker wrote:

I made those changes an the proccessor is now on 20%. Disabling effects it goes to 2 ~ 6 %...

Sorry, i missed to say that i do all the hints from here http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=115916 with nearly the same result as you. Than i disable vsync after reading the other thread from here and what a wonder now there is no difference more between with or without effects. Good luck.

#209 2008-08-04 17:54:36

buddabrod

Thank you.. I was getting crazy because of that incredibly high cpu load....
Who'd have thought it was simply vsync?..

I have some kmail crashes here regularly, konqueror crashes regularly, memory need is extremely high...

But it looks nice.. -.-
I think I'll revert to kde3.

Edit: How do i disable smooth scrolling in konqueror? That sucks a lot of energy on my laptop here.. And i need my battery time wink

Last edited by buddabrod (2008-08-04 17:56:27)

#210 2008-08-04 18:36:19

ralvez
Website

I have not had konqueror crash but ... I decided to give dolphin a "run for its money" and so far It has not been a disappointment. Konqueror has been for years my favourite File Manage and I was very much in doubt dolphin could measure up to it but to my surprise it does yikes

It provides screen splitting (F3), contextual CLI access (F4), a side bar that has equivalent capabilities to bookmarks, a very nice preview option that (contrary to konqueror) does work over the network, etc, etc...

Give it a try, you may like it.

R.

Last edited by ralvez (2008-08-04 18:37:31)

#211 2008-08-06 17:04:41

LTSmash
Website

What I am pissed about is that you actually forced the upgrade to 4.1!

So that completly broke my KDE -.-

Proud Ex-Arch user.
Still an ArchLinux lover though.

Currently on Kubuntu 9.10

#212 2008-08-06 17:07:22

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

LTSmash wrote:

No upgrade is ever "forced". Pacman gives you the option of accepting or rejecting a proposed upgrade or update, and it makes it easy to block all subsequent updates to any given package.

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#213 2008-08-06 17:38:19

LTSmash
Website

dhave wrote:
LTSmash wrote:

No upgrade is ever "forced". Pacman gives you the option of accepting or rejecting a proposed upgrade or update, and it makes it easy to block all subsequent updates to any given package.

Sure, you should have told me that before I did a "pacman -Syu", not after it broke my DE... you know, pacman is not used to say that you're upgrading to KDE4, is it? I thought it was and upgrade for KDE3...

-.-

Anyway, I don't really care that much for the change of DE, but for the break the upgrade has done: I mean that when I did install KDE4 without knowing i was, and then when I noticed KDM was changed and loged into my desktop, I just saw a wallpaper and the cursor, no more... any ideas on fixing this?

Proud Ex-Arch user.

#214 2008-08-06 17:44:09

ozar

You are supposed to check through all the packages about to be upgraded 'before' saying yes to the upgrade.  That's why pacman is set to ask you if you want to continue with the upgrade process.  At least that's why I've always thought it was asking that.  It's not a bad idea for users to keep backups of their working systems, either.  I really don't understand why so few users bother with backups.

Thanks again for your work on all of it, Pierre.  It's getting more solid and stable all the time.

oz

#215 2008-08-06 17:46:21

LTSmash
Website

ozar wrote:

You are supposed to check through all the packages about to be upgraded 'before' saying yes to the upgrade.  That's why pacman is set to ask you if you want to continue with the upgrade process.  At least that's why I've always thought it was asking that.  It's not a bad idea for users to keep backups of their working systems, either.  I really don't understand why so few users bother with backups.

Thanks again for your work on all of it, Pierre.  It's getting more solid and stable all the time.

And then again, I have to say that it's not that much the thing that bothers me having KDE4 upgraded, but that it's broken.

Proud Ex-Arch user.

#216 2008-08-06 17:49:55

dhave

LTSmash wrote:
dhave wrote:
LTSmash wrote:

Sure, you should have told me that before I did a "pacman -Syu", not after it broke my DE... you know, pacman is not used to say that you're upgrading to KDE4, is it? I thought it was and upgrade for KDE3...

When you do "pacman -Syu", doesn't pacman show you the updates it wants to do and ask you if you want to do them? Or is the version number of the update not supplied? I can't remember right now, and I'm not able to test it.

Anyway, I don't really care that much for the change of DE, but for the break the upgrade has done: I mean that when I did install KDE4 without knowing i was, and then when I noticed KDM was changed and loged into my desktop, I just saw a wallpaper and the cursor, no more... any ideas on fixing this?

I imagine you're not alone, so someone will likely post a "rescue" guide. My reflex would be to remove all KDE packages, use XFCE or another DE or WM to check out my system's stability, then install KDEMod 3.5x. But there may be some gotchas in there that I don't know about, so it's best to let someone advise you from first-hand experience.

Donate to Arch!

#217 2008-08-06 17:51:29

ozar

I posted a link to a mirror the other day that still had the 3.5.9 packages in it, but I don't remember where it was or what thread it was posted in.  A forum search might turn it up for you, but the mirror could have been updated by now.  Otherwise, I think the KDEmod crew is keeping the KDE 3.5.x series (modded version) going in their own repo.

oz

#218 2008-08-06 17:53:35

dhave

LTSmash wrote:

And then again, I have to say that it's not that much the thing that bothers me having KDE4 upgraded, but that it's broken.

O.K., I see where you stand. I wish I could give you the precise instructions to fix things, but I feel certain someone will be able to. Arch has a way of always landing on its feet, or at least that's been my experience, and I've borked things pretty badly a few times.

Donate to Arch!

#219 2008-08-06 17:55:30

LTSmash
Website

dhave wrote:
LTSmash wrote:
dhave wrote:

When you do "pacman -Syu", doesn't pacman show you the updates it wants to do and ask you if you want to do them? Or is the version number of the update not supplied? I can't remember right now, and I'm not able to test it.

I imagine you're not alone, so someone will likely post a "rescue" guide. My reflex would be to remove all KDE packages, use XFCE or another DE or WM to check out my system's stability, then install KDEMod 3.5x. But there may be some gotchas in there that I don't know about, so it's best to let someone advise you from first-hand experience.

Well, i guess the system IS stable cause it manages to run all of my apps, the thing right now is that I have TWM as my "Desktop Environment" in the meanwhile i can figure out how to fix this; BTW, when you launch the process manager, how many processes it must have running? i only get plasma, X and that Alt-F2 launcher app whose name i don't remember, nothing else.

Maybe there's something wrong with the launching profile? I'm using the rc.d script to launch KDM.

Proud Ex-Arch user.

#220 2008-08-06 18:08:13

ozar

Check the mirrors listed in this wiki page:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Downgrade_packages

One or more of them might still have the 3.5.x packages.

oz

#221 2008-08-06 18:26:00

LTSmash
Website

ozar wrote:

Check the mirrors listed in this wiki page:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Downgrade_packages

One or more of them might still have the 3.5.x packages.

I have them on the pacman cache wink
but I'd rather now have my system up-to-date, as the Arch philosophy states...

Guess I'll install xfce4 in the meanwhile this gets fixed. I made a bug report:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?do= … k_id=11136

Thanks anyway

Proud Ex-Arch user.

#222 2008-08-06 18:40:03

dhave

One thing you might like about KDEMod is that the instructions begin with the removal of all KDE packages. So the starting point for installing KDEMod would be pretty much where you need to be, i.e., getting rid of all your KDE stuff for a fresh start.

Then, if you install KDEMod 3.5.9, since KDEMod 4x is in a separate strand, pacman won't try to upgrade you beyond KDEMod 3.x.

Also, the support community for KDEMod is pretty strong. Unless you're really turned off by KDE right now, that's the direction I'd go in. (Of course, all the WMs and DEs have their strong points.)

The install guide on the KDEMod website is being updated right now, but there are instructions here:

http://kdemod.ath.cx/bbs/viewtopic.php?id=892

And here're the first few steps, where you'll see that KDE removal is the first thing you do.

INSTALLATION:
1. Remove all KDE4 packages: pacman -Rcs kde
2. Remove all KDEmod4 packages: pacman -Rcs kdemod4-complete
3. Remove all KDEmod3 packages: pacman -Rcs kdemod-complete
4. Remove _any_ KDE packages still left on your system
5. Double check that everything has been removed: pacman -Q | grep kde
6. Remove the old [kdemod] repo entry in pacman.conf
7. Add the new [kdemod-legacy] repo to pacman.conf:

Last edited by dhave (2008-08-06 18:43:04)

Donate to Arch!

#223 2008-08-06 20:37:09

z0phi3l

LTSmash wrote:
ozar wrote:

Instead of complaining that it's "broken" tell us what is wrong and those of us running KDE4 without any problems can help you fix it.

#224 2008-08-06 20:46:48

LTSmash
Website

Instead of complaining that it's "broken" tell us what is wrong and those of us running KDE4 without any problems can help you fix it.

LTSmash wrote:

wink

Proud Ex-Arch user.

#225 2008-08-06 20:57:43

z0phi3l

LTSmash wrote:

LTSmash wrote:

wink

You're going to most likely need to delete the old.kde folder and let kde recreate it, the new desktop doesn't use the old settings and it seems to be causing a conflict.

Board footer