You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-26 22:43:07

curlynostrill

thinkpad-acpi

This should probably be posted in "newbie Laptop issues" but I didn't see that topic.

The Specs:
I have Arch on an old TP570 which I'm mostly using as a Music Player Daemon (w/ additional functionality).  I have not bothered to install X since as it is everything runs in ram w/ a little left over.

The Problem:
I've been trying to get the Fn-Fx buttons working: particularly Fn-F3 which turns off the backlight.  I see alot of reference to thinkpad-acpi but pacman reports that it cannot find "thinkpad-acpi".

It seems that HAL is replacing acpi ... is that the case for Arch?

I have installed acpi and acpid.

My head is reeling.

#2 2008-07-26 23:00:44

wonder
Developer
Website

Re: thinkpad-acpi

thinkpad-acpi is a kernel module.
just "modprobe thinkpad-acpi" and if it's working add than module to MODULES from rc.conf

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#3 2008-07-27 23:53:40

whargoul

This could also be helpfull: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:570

Arch - It's something refreshing

#4 2008-07-28 04:33:42

bredin

try thinkpad_acpi and configure xorg after right layout smile

Lenovo ThinkPad x61
Core2Duo 2ghz, 4gig ram, 16gig SSD.
Archlinux x64 + Fluxbox!

#5 2008-07-28 06:00:56

curlynostrill

Thanks so much for your quick reply, wonder.  That clears up some of my confusion.

Do I still need the acpi and acpid packages if I load the module?

The Fn-F3 didn't work right off the bat after modprobe-ing thinkpad_acpi.  Neither do I don't get any output with #tail /var/log/messages.log  when pressing the key combo.  I'll look into the settings for thinkpad_acpi.

As it is, I found that it seems to be fixing itself, somewhat, or, at least, it's responding to my prodding.  The backlight does turn off when I close the lid, even without thinkpad_acpi, so that's a good thing: probably all I need, really.

wharghoul: thanks for the info, I've definitely looked there and just about everywhere that comes up in the first several pages of google results.  It takes a bit of skill to translate most of that info to arch but good info nonetheless.

bredin: thank you, as well, but I'm not running X and I don't intend to.  My next goal is to have the 'music' user auto-login and auto-run ncmpc.  It makes a great  stereo-top music machine.  I have all the music on a FreeNas server shared by NFS.  It's just tha bomb.

Thanks all!
Best wishes in all your lives.
curly

Last edited by curlynostrill (2008-07-28 06:05:25)

Board footer