You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-27 17:11:43

Majorix

Stable and Testing - What Do I miss?

I have Arch 2008.06 stable on my laptop. One of the main reasons I chose Arch and no other was that it was updated very often.

Before I started installing, I read somewhere that the Testing repo is full of software that will crash your system. Yeah it said will, not even can.

With that in mind I left Testing untouched. But now I am wondering - what do I miss? Are all the newer software in Testing?

Thanks for enlightening me.

#2 2008-07-27 17:19:01

wonder
Developer
Website

Re: Stable and Testing - What Do I miss?

no. new packages(important like kernel,kde4 ) are uploaded there. this repo is for testing purpose. if no problems were found then will be moved to extra eventualy.

if you want to help devs to find bugs then you should use testing and report to bugtracker

Last edited by wonder (2008-07-27 17:19:53)

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#3 2008-07-27 17:23:57

Majorix

Oh, I see; thanks a lot. I guess I will stick to my Stable release smile

#4 2008-07-27 18:58:46

Aaron
Website

I've never had any issues with the 'unstable' repo, contrary to what you would think from the name, it's been very solid for me.

[unstable]

The [unstable] repository contains experimental and unstable software, especially if the development version of a package has become popular for some reason. For example, perhaps the upstream stable version is hopelessly out of date, or the unstable version has some groundbreaking changes that a lot of users seem interested in, like experimental kernel drivers or -svn package versions. Developer maintained.

Note: Contrary to popular belief, it is perfectly safe to enable the unstable repository, as there are no name collisions with [core], [community] or [extra]. Packages from [unstable] are only installed if you explicitly do so. If there is a conflict between an [Unstable] package and an installed package, pacman will warn you and resolve the conflict, if prompted, by removing the installed package.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beg … acman.conf

Last edited by Aaron (2008-07-27 18:59:24)

#5 2008-07-27 19:15:46

wonder
Developer
Website

unstable now has no packages smile

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#6 2008-07-27 19:30:00

Majorix

Aaron wrote:

I've never had any issues with the 'unstable' repo, contrary to what you would think from the name, it's been very solid for me.

[unstable]

The [unstable] repository contains experimental and unstable software, especially if the development version of a package has become popular for some reason. For example, perhaps the upstream stable version is hopelessly out of date, or the unstable version has some groundbreaking changes that a lot of users seem interested in, like experimental kernel drivers or -svn package versions. Developer maintained.

Note: Contrary to popular belief, it is perfectly safe to enable the unstable repository, as there are no name collisions with [core], [community] or [extra]. Packages from [unstable] are only installed if you explicitly do so. If there is a conflict between an [Unstable] package and an installed package, pacman will warn you and resolve the conflict, if prompted, by removing the installed package.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beg … acman.conf

I already have unstable enabled (even though it is pretty much just dead for now big_smile), I was talking about Testing.

Board footer