You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-28 09:32:43

KimTjik

Ext3 block corrupted; recovery not possible; ArchCD fixed it [SOLVED]

And my main question is how?

The hard-drive in question is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11. When I couldn't even from console repair the root partition and even some other partitions on the system I thought the whole hard-drive had gone bananas. SeaTools though doesn't reveal any errors. I've two systems installed, Arch i686 and Fedora 7 x86-64, and none was bootable. I tried from a live-CD in a terminal save what I could, but the block error froze the system several times. Hence I've now checked RAM and CPU as well to see if the origin of the problem is corruption on that level, but no errors are generated.

I practically gave up and decided to save selected important files and then install a new Arch system from scratch. Before that I booted up the Arch install CD (the old "Don't panic") and while booting it made a lot of automatic recovery stuff, and like magic it recovered everything!

How's that possible? What tricks does the Arch CD do?

By the way the hard lockup was somehow triggered when I fired up Banshee (just to check how it looks nowadays), while having Firefox and Thunderbird and some other applications running. I've no clue to way and will probably not investigate it further, because it was kind of erratic so I don't even know if there's an explanation to find.

Last edited by KimTjik (2008-08-08 08:18:45)

#2 2008-08-08 08:20:37

KimTjik

Re: Ext3 block corrupted; recovery not possible; ArchCD fixed it [SOLVED]

Mystery solved since the motherboard proved to be the problem. Sometimes it worked sometimes not.

See my last post in this thread: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=52783

Board footer